I give up...

Esyllt

Visit site
...with rugs! None of them seem to fit right! Coblet is a broad chested Sec. D. and if they fit length wise, they are tight across the should and chest, and she ends up mincing along, and if I go up a size for the chest they are too long! Would I be completely horrible if I didn't rug her at all? It was only a rainsheet I was going to put on, but for the price and hassle, it doesn't seem worth it. According to some people on the yard, I'm a horrible horse mum for considering it. Surely being naked and free is better that having ill fitting clothing? She has natural and man made shelter to get out of the driving wind and rain, isn't clipped and is not being ridden at the moment due to my own issues, so no need to groom for tacking up etc... thoughts and advice gratefully received

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Just don't rug. She'll be fine. There was a Section D on the livery yard I was last on who I never saw with a rug on. I'm in the far north of Scotland and there was little natural shelter and he lived out all winter. Completely fine. Grew a coat like a bear and hid his face behind his big friend's bum if the rain was really driving in. ?

Esyllt

Visit site
Just don't rug. She'll be fine. There was a Section D on the livery yard I was last on who I never saw with a rug on. I'm in the far north of Scotland and there was little natural shelter and he lived out all winter. Completely fine. Grew a coat like a bear and hid his face behind his big friend's bum if the rain was really driving in. ?
Good heavens she is a fully coated native with shelter provided! Let her make the most of her natural protection. In fact actually rajnsheets can be worse than useless as they flatten the coat, so the horse can't keep itself warm
See, this was my way of thinking, and I was nearly burned as a witch! Nice to know my way of thinking isn't that outlandish!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I’ve only rugged this year because mine are both fully clipped. Normally they are partially clipped and naked day and night only seeing a raincoat if the rain is torrential. One is a Connie and the other a WB pony. Neither has come to any harm for being allowed to roll in the mud, itch and groom each other or shiver a little.

rextherobber

Visit site
Agree she will be fine and certainly better with no rug than an uncomfortable one. If you do want one in case of really foul weather, have you tried Bucas? The neck pleats sort of hold it off the shoulders, or they do on my ID...

Fred66

Visit site
Agree with not needing to rug.

If you decide to change your mind however, we have always found the Amigo ones to be good. They don’t have shoulder pleats in so no “defined” width and seems to avoid the rubbing.

SEL

Visit site
I've got 2 with yak coats and they're fine without rugs. I genuinely give up grooming the retired one! Ruggles , Swish and Big Horse Co do rugs designed for chunky types and I've found Shires Highlander not a bad fit either if you do decide a rug is needed.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'm not the most confident person and I always doubt myself, and when grouped against, I really doubt myself!
? I understand that, I’m the same. I have learnt a couple of hard lessons though by knowing in my head I’m right but going with what other people have said because, well I’m not sure why really. I suppose they made me doubt myself.
Your horse, you know it best and you know you only have her best interests at heart.

babymare

Visit site
The only rug my sec D saw was a fly sheet. Yes I had people saying I was wrong and she needed a rug in winter but I stuck to my guns. Even had people checking her to see if she was cold. I took delight when they admitted she wasn't lol. If the temp was low for a prolonged period I would up her hay slightly. She was a woolly bear in winter ?

Muddywellies

Visit site
Good heavens she is a fully coated native with shelter provided! Let her make the most of her natural protection. In fact actually rajnsheets can be worse than useless as they flatten the coat, so the horse can't keep itself warm
This doesn't always apply. I have a sec D and she is the most sensitive (aka wimpy) horse I've had (fine coat and fairly thin skinned). She's fine with the cold, as most are, but if mine gets wet for any length if time she absolutely can't cope and can tie up. I have to rug my native to prevent this.
OP. Shires fit my native very well, as do PE. But if yours is fine without, then stick to your guns.

Cowpony

Visit site
I have a big-shouldered half Welsh and found the chest expander just didn't work, as the OP has said. Worst rugs for this shape seem to be Rheingold - I avoid them. Gallop, Mark Todd and Weatherbeater all seem to be cut more generously and fit reasonably well.

maya2008

Visit site
I am another with natives who doesn’t rug. If it is torrential for weeks I might, but they prefer without. Ruggles might be worth a try, they fit our Shetland well and she is as broad as they come!

I am so used to natives (and a hardy TB who is retired and hates stables) that I forget that other breeds of horse need field shelters and rugs and things to get through the winter if living out...!

Esyllt

Visit site
Thank you all for your thoughts and recommendations. I've saved all the brands as a list! However, I am going to go with my initial way of thinking, which is naked and free! She's got shelter, and she's already halfway to mammoth, with some (ahem!) insulation to utilise... and as many of you have rightly reminded me, she's a native! She looks like a hippo with the amount of mud on her, but she's happy and comfy, and I just need to ignore the negative people. Thanks again all! X