I got stepped on by a horse on the top of my foot.

Ilianabarcenas1

New User
Visit site
I got stepped on by A horse with the big hoof. I don’t know what to do, I don’t think my boss wants to send me to the hospital. It’s still swollen and when I touch the top of it some thing kind of moves inside. What should I do.
It’s my right foot

Attachments

• C7E21D15-113B-4107-B3BA-9B946D52115B.jpeg
    C7E21D15-113B-4107-B3BA-9B946D52115B.jpeg
    591.3 KB · Views: 210
  • F617F625-27AB-4382-87DE-EAC0C5E941A3.jpeg
    F617F625-27AB-4382-87DE-EAC0C5E941A3.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 208

View

Visit site
Off you go to A&E. it’s your body after all - doesn’t matter what your boss thinks.

Obviously you have some swelling on your right, but it also looks as if you have some red marks - and every time I’ve had them in my feet there has been a fracture.

Now we are all individuals, but pain, swelling and something moving - if it was a horse you’d be asking the vet to bring the portable x-ray, wouldn’t you?

Last edited:

Nudibranch

Visit site
How painful is it? Can you walk on it? Often there's not much that can be done for feet other than RICE. Crutches if something needs to mend.
I've had 3 fractures (only one horse related!) in my feet and each time they were very distinctive round red and blue raised areas, quite specific in area to the break. You've probably got some bruising but if it's very painful or difficult to walk on get it checked out.

asmp

Visit site
One of ours trotted over my foot (don’t ask!) so I know how much it hurts. I went to local A&E but their X-ray dept was closed for the night so it didn’t get done. I can’t remember now why I didn’t go elsewhere- perhaps the nurse said it wasn’t likely to be broken. Wouldn’t hurt to get yours looked at though.16E534BF-0696-423B-96FA-C87D5A45E9A3.jpeg

Visit site
I had practically the same injury a few years ago - never got it looked at but it was more or less definitely broken but I was scared they would cast it and I wouldn't be able to hunt (it was the start of the season) so I just managed. ? it's fine now but took a good year to heal. If it's a metatarsal injury there is not much they will do anyway. Not the best advice and you probably should really get it looked at. ?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had practically the same injury a few years ago - never got it looked at but it was more or less definitely broken but I was scared they would cast it and I wouldn't be able to hunt (it was the start of the season) so I just managed. ? it's fine now but took a good year to heal. If it's a metatarsal injury there is not much they will do anyway. Not the best advice and you probably should really get it looked at. ?

I'm like you SpottyPony, but OP, you should get it looked at as you are worried.

SEL

Visit site
Mine got squished by 700kg of Ardennes who was stamping at a fly. Didn't get it X rayed because I persuaded myself they wouldn't do anything. Still aches regularly 5 years later so best not to copy me!

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Mine got squished by 700kg of Ardennes who was stamping at a fly. Didn't get it X rayed because I persuaded myself they wouldn't do anything. Still aches regularly 5 years later so best not to copy me!
I've done the same. At first the pain was do bad I couldn't get my boot off. But because I could walk on it later on , I couldn't be bothered to do anything about it. A few years later and when it's cold, my foot hurts.

Sometimes I don't make good decisions!

Reactions: SEL

Bluewaves

Visit site
I got trodden on by a huge Irish mare. I thought it must be broken and limped into A&E for an xray. Just bruising in my case thank goodness, but most people i know would get an xray in your situation in case it needs treated.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Get it checked. There are too many bones and soft tissues in the foot to not do anything about it. I remember from my broken ankle days that the talus bone (top of foot) has a poor blood supply and heals very slowly and not always well. If you can feel something moving you may have chipped a bone. Better to get it checked now than regret later.

Reactions: Kat

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
It needs an X-ray … because it has a cut it’s technically an open fracture so if broken you will probab need antibiotics… get yourself to a and e.. especially if your foot is sore on the sole.

ps I’m an a and e Dr by trade x
I don't think asmp's foot with the open wound is a current injury. The OPs has no cuts

ecb89

Visit site
Get it checked out at a&e. My other half dropped a paving slab on top of his foot, it hurt but he didn’t bother getting it checked. A few weeks later he got out of bed, felt something ‘go’ in his foot and it blew up like a balloon. Doctor said the paving slab caused loads of stress fractures and eventually it would have broken just by something simple like getting out of bed.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Definitely get a x-ray! I had the same happen & despite it not being broken I had loads of painful ligament damage - months before I could pull a sock on without wincing!

nikkimariet

Visit site
Rooni broke my foot 2019 and it wasn’t a particularly traumatic event. He was just being a nob about standing in the cross ties. I was ok having the toes he broke too taped together and ended up wearing a support for a while. I couldn’t walk properly for months but riding wasn’t actually an issue.

J&S

Visit site
My mare trod on my foot when she was in foal (double trouble!) and it was twelve weeks before it really healed. I had to wear big boots or clogs, no glam shoes at all.