I hate to ask

wattamus

Visit site
Well, things aren't going too well with the pony and I'm not sure whether i am not going to have to make a hard descision and have her pts.
My question is how much does it cost to "dispose" and i hate to use that word of your horse?
If i say got her cremated how much would that cost? I can't really stand the idea of her being fed to dogs or whatever happens to them when they go to the knackers yard.
I'm in tears whilst writing this but i feel that I want to be prepared should things not go well tomorrow when the vet comes to see her.
Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.
Thank you x

Franob

Visit site
Sorry, I have no idea on your question, I just wanted to wish you all the best. I'm sorry you are having to think about this in the first place.

Hugs and best wishes xxx

Emilieu

Visit site
I'm so sorry. ((hugs))
It was 480.46 (just checked bill) for my boy - he was a big 17.2 tho, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. It would have been about another 250 if I'd wanted his ashes back but I'm not sentimental that way and found another ways to remember him.
I sincerely hope you don't need this info and the news is better than you dread tomorrow xx

Natz88

Visit site
Sorry to hear this :(. I had my NF pts on Monday & it is going to cost £400. It's a horrible thing to go through so sending big hugs xx

Last edited:

WestCoast

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that you are having to make a tough decision - it's never easy.

You get pet cremation services. I did a quick google and found a price of £500, but it probably varies.

Think carefully about whether you want ashes returned - the one time I did it (with a smaller animal not a horse) this deeply upset me when. Was just starting to get over it. But on the other hand you might find it comforting to have a grave site where they are buried or sprinkled.

Paula

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Sorry you're having to think about it.

When I had my 17hh horse cremated it was about £250, but I didn't get the ashes back. That was for disposal only, not vets fees, I think vet + disposal was about £500ish

Herts05

Visit site
Sorry to hear of your situation. I went through the same last year. Speak to your vet, they should be able to advise you of the total cost including removal and cremation

missk

Visit site
Have just had our pony pts at the RVC. I couldn't stand the thought of not knowing what would happen to her and had always said I get her cremated. The RVC recommended peaceful pets and guaranteed that she would be individually cremated, so that's what I did. Cost me £700, yes it's alot but to me was worth every penny.

Blitzen

Visit site
:( Poor you. Its such a horrible decision.
We had our mare PTS and taken by the hunt. It was £80, and our huntmaster couldn't have been kinder with her, or more understanding with us. He gave me a packet of polos as he left, for my other mare and friends sec A pony, who were upset and calling for their field mate. Small gesture, but it meant a lot. She hunted regularly when she was younger and it seemed a fit way to send her off; she's running with the hounds now.
Hugs xx

colour me in

Visit site
I paid 185 but didn't get her ashes back this wasn't vet fee's though what area are you in? Pm if you like

So sorry about what is happening my thoughts are with you

hayinamanger

Visit site
I am so sorry. Just a couple of practicalities for you, which I hope will help.

If the pony is collected by the knacker man, she will be incinerated (communal cremation) this is likely to be your cheapest option, less than £100 It is possible to request a clean lorry, so that no other stock is collected, this would be an additional cost.

If you do request the return of ashes, please bear in mind that these are token ashes only. By this I mean that you will receive a small amount of your pony's ashes back.

Your vet practice will be able to arrange collection by whichever means you decide.

circuit dancer

Visit site
Mine cost £400 I think for a 13.2hh. Wud have been less if I'd put him in with other horses but I wernt keen on the chance of some one else having a peace of my pony. And the other way around :( x

MissTyc

Visit site
£500 all in for pts by the vet + disposal for my 14.2hh gelding - no ashes back.
£150 all in for pts by the hunt + disposal for old 12hh lami pony - nothing back. Don't know what they did to her, couldn't feed her to anything as she was full of about 2 years' worth of bute.

Aidey

Visit site
Sorry that you are having to consider this. My old pony (13.1hh) was collected, cremated alone and we had his ashes returned to us and I think that cost around £500 but that was around 11 years ago now. There was the option of having a group cremation, if you didn't necessarily want her ashes back but still wanted her cremated instead of the knacker yard, which was cheaper. Sorry cannot be any more help.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Personally I would have the vet pts and then have the body collected by a fallen stock collector (knacker). The body won't be fed to the dogs it will be incinerated. I would suggest you didn't watch it being taken away to be honest.

You can pay a lot more for essentially the same thing but at the end of the day I try to tell myself it's just the old clothes left behind, the pony's spirit and what made it the pony you love will be else where.

Sorry you are having to go through this.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The equine crem took my 16.3hh on a Sunday evening after the vet had been (it was an emergency) and charged £190, last summer. The last one she came and shot and removed was only about £20 more. We never have the ashes back.
Hope this helps.

wattamus

Visit site
Thank you for all of your kind words, if the worst happens she will not be going tomorrow, I'll wait until I get things sorted.
Thank you for the advice, I'm on the east side of Hull in east Yorkshire.
Hopefully the vet will come out tomorrow and be able to help her, fingers crossed eh?
She has given me so much and I want her to have the best treatment right until the very end.

muff747

Visit site
Sorry to hear you are having to think about this, I will be in your position some time, hope you can be strong and do the best for your pony.
There is some advice in the Veterinary section on here, some more info for you to take into consideration.
Perhaps it may not be as bad as you anticipate, (((hugs)))

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I would prefer mine to go to the hunt as hes a hunter but there arent any in my area (NE Scot). So if I decide not to bury him (we have a lot of land and not near water courses so I can meet our councils requirements for pet horse burial) I have registered with the national fallen stock scheme for horses as well as the sheep I have.

http://www.nfsco.co.uk/about-the-scheme.php#1_2

They can arrange for ashes to be returned altho Im not sure I would want that. They have been good when I have had to have sheep PTS. And they were fine with not going in food chain thing, our ram was on medication so couldnt be.7

just an idea, I like the fact that I have an option set up and a DD for the payment there and waiting rather than having to set it up when I was very distressed.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
First of all hugs

My sisters pony, 13,2 new forest, cost £600 for a individual cremation and we got the ashes back in a nice wooden box. It was £350 for a joint one meaning three horses get cremated together but my sister didn't want to wonder if it was her pontoon the box.

Xxxxx

cm2581

Visit site
I had my 15.2 mare pts about a month ago. The vet bill was £186 and I had her individaully creamated and her ashes returned in a wooden casket. This cost £800 but part of that was the transport of the body to the vet centre for post mortem and they then returned the following day to collect her and take her for creamation. I also kept her tail and her forelock and I intend to have some jewelry made from it. I hope that you don't need this info. Fingers crossed for your pony to have a few more years yet.

Oldenburg27

Visit site
First of all I am really sorry!!

When we had ae old girl PTS last month ans it cost us £300 and thats just a flat rate for whatever size as we have had 4 horse sent to the sam place from 12.2hh o 16.2..

Massive ugs

kiagirl

Visit site
Sorry to hear about pony, fingers crossed. I am near to you and used Websters at Howden who collect fallen stock. Pony was cremated but no ashes back and cost about £120. He was the only load that afternoon but you can request it anyway. The man was lovely and insisted mum climbed in the back to see how clean it was before he put him in, once in, he insisted on her looking in at how nicely he was laid out which was a bit strange but was actually quite comforting. Lady on the phone was lovely and would recommend 100%. I did phone the local pet crematorium and a cremation with them with no ashes was £500+ and I am sure that the service wouldn't have been any better. I had had him for 19 years as he was my first pony and I would always use them again.

Fingers crossed for you

partypremier

Visit site
Very sorry to hear & no matter how often you experience it, with your own horse or others, the sick feeling in the bottom of your stomach is awful.

I have used the local hunts & vets, they are very understanding & at a reasonable cost.
I have always been there when it is done as somehow it helps. I could not imagine having a horse loaded up & taken away to be pts I always felt I owed it to them to be there to make sure it was carried out in a relaxed familiar environment.

But you must do what is best for you your way, weighing up your options both with your head & your heart.

NoseyPosey

Visit site
The couple of times we've had to do this over the past year or so cost £150 & £190 to get the body taken away, no ashes, nothing. First was natural so no vet fees and 2nd was PTS, around £50 I think (I put the cost to the back of my mind)