I have a dilemma (quite long, sorry)

pinkcatkin

Visit site
Acquired 6 acres of land adjacent to our existing land and stables to rent from neighbouring farmer last winter. Land in poor state, terrible fencing, not been touched for 3 years.

We have fenced it and had it topped, generally looked after it and now it is a respectable piece of land, that is valuable to us.

Farmer and farmer's son are shooting fanatics and although farmer is divorced from wife, she still lives in the marital home. She is the landowner and it is with her that I have my contract.

We have always had a bit of trouble with them shooting right behind our land and when my foal was actually about to be born I had to go and tell them to GO AWAY and shoot further afield for obvious reasons.

We often see them shooting just above our field and quite often our land is scattered with dead rabbits (shot and then ran into our field and died? or shot in our field?)

Yesterday my friend was in the field and the farmer's son climbs over the field gate from the lane and calmly walks up through our fencing complete with gun and tripod. When challenged he said he was just cutting through to shoot above our field. MY OH went to see farmer's wife as I was not around and she said that she has told her son that our field and surrounding area is a no go area for shooting, but intimated that she had little influence over him (obviously).

My dilemma - if I get heavy, do I risk losing the land? Which would not be a good idea at all. I actually dont mind them shooting on adjoining land as our girls are quite cool about it, but I have seen them shooting actually into our field and that I will not tolerate.

Bloody people. Should I send him personally a copy of the BASC Shooting Guidelines with the relevant bits highlighted? He should realise that contravention of those guidelines could put his Shotgun Licence in jeopardy, but....... not sure what to do.

Gosh that was long, sorry. Any helpful comments?

pinkcatkin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Who owns the land - the farmer or his wife???

[/ QUOTE ]

The wife does. Maybe I should try and speak to her privately and ask whether she would be agreeable to me sending her son the BASC guidelines. I just worry that although she is "onside", pressure from a divorced husband and headstrong son might cause her to withdraw her land from us.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who owns the land - the farmer or his wife???

[/ QUOTE ]

The wife does. Maybe I should try and speak to her privately and ask whether she would be agreeable to me sending her son the BASC guidelines. I just worry that although she is "onside", pressure from a divorced husband and headstrong son might cause her to withdraw her land from us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, so there's no confusion in access rights then.

In that case surely anyone else on the land without your permission is trespassing then??

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Difficult one.
Does he really shoot towards the horses? If not, I'd just let him get on with it. If so, then perhaps the shooting guidelines to his wife might do the trick.
Oh, and I've posted you a message in Soapbox.....
wink.gif

S
smile.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Difficult! I always understood that you are not allowed to shoot outwards over a boundary, no matter what - my OH has a license too and when bobby came to check I asked him as we had had similar trouble before (when OH was hit in the stomach by pellets from the other side of a neighbour's hedge; son, who was just waist high was with him but luckily on his other side else it could have been his eye! Very very lucky!)
Any chance you could ring police, ask to speak to someone from the gun licensing dept. If what I wrote is correct, then they have an obligation to investigate.
Alternatively, you or a neighbour could ring in anonymously and say you had seen them shooting over the horses which they should act on anyway. At the very least they should have a word with them as it is dangerous behaviour, I've known guns confiscated for less than that. If you can persuade a neighbour to ring in, so much the better, you haven't been involved have you so how could it be your fault?!

Like you, shooting doesn't worry me or my horses but you certainly don't need or want them shooting over your boundaries. Apart from the upset to you both, imagine if your horses or family did get hit with shot; would they be prepared to foot the vet bills and compensation, least of all having their gun licenses revoked indefinitely; by the sound of it, it's not likely so you could be doing both of you a favour by nipping this in the bud now.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

pinkcatkin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Difficult! I always understood that you are not allowed to shoot outwards over a boundary, no matter what - my OH has a license too and when bobby came to check I asked him as we had had similar trouble before (when OH was hit in the stomach by pellets from the other side of a neighbour's hedge; son, who was just waist high was with him but luckily on his other side else it could have been his eye! Very very lucky!)
Any chance you could ring police, ask to speak to someone from the gun licensing dept. If what I wrote is correct, then they have an obligation to investigate.
Alternatively, you or a neighbour could ring in anonymously and say you had seen them shooting over the horses which they should act on anyway. At the very least they should have a word with them as it is dangerous behaviour, I've known guns confiscated for less than that. If you can persuade a neighbour to ring in, so much the better, you haven't been involved have you so how could it be your fault?!

Like you, shooting doesn't worry me or my horses but you certainly don't need or want them shooting over your boundaries. Apart from the upset to you both, imagine if your horses or family did get hit with shot; would they be prepared to foot the vet bills and compensation, least of all having their gun licenses revoked indefinitely; by the sound of it, it's not likely so you could be doing both of you a favour by nipping this in the bud now.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your very helpful comments. I will keep you updated!