I have a few question, maybe you guys could help.

alannah

Visit site
So I'm new to the forums and I'm not really new to being around horses but I am kind of new to riding. I'm 19 years old, 4'10", weigh about 77lbs and my loan pony is 12hh, would you say I am too big?? (I doubt I am going to grow anymore)

Also another question, he suffers from cushings disease, he is healthy etc but does anyone know anything that is good(supplements etc) for ponies who suffer from cushings?

Thank you!! :)

turkana

Visit site
You look fine on him, I don't think you've got anything to worry about, he looks like a lovely little chap.

Sorry but I don't know very much about cushing so can't help you there - tack room is full of very knowledgable people so it might be worth asking in there

alannah

Visit site
You look fine on him, I don't think you've got anything to worry about, he looks like a lovely little chap.

Sorry but I don't know very much about cushing so can't help you there - tack room is full of very knowledgable people so it might be worth asking in there

Thank you very much! :) he is lovely, just very cheeky, haha!

BessyBoo

Visit site
I think you look fine on him, you go well together :) he looks like he is full of character! I Don't know much about bushings either I'm afraid, but there have been a few threads about it before if you do a search :)

Micky

Visit site
Please check out the laminitis site, a lot of info on there about PPID ( or cushings as it was formerly known), There is also a facebook page you can join where you can get support if you need.
Supplements are Spillers lite balancer or topspec lite, Chop Hi Fi Molasses free and soaked hay preferably.( reduces sugars) You must be careful about the pony developing laminitis when diagnosed with PPID. It is all manageable though :)

oldie48

Visit site
Do you give him prascend (pergolide) to treat his cushings? If you don't it's worth talking to your vet about it. It is rather expensive, I'm afraid, but it does help them to avoid laminitis, which can be devastating, but you will still need to watch his weight and diet very carefully. Also, you may find he retains his winter coat (and grows a very thick coat in winter) I used to clip my old boy with cushings as it's easy for them to struggle to regulate their temperature and sweat up easily. Also be aware that often their immunity is compromised so they can be more at risk of skin infections etc. Sorry if this sounds a bit alarmist but it's worth knowing, however, lots of horses live quite happily with cushings for years and years.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
You look fine on him. The best thing for Cushings is to get Prascend from the vet. A pony his size is likely to start on 1/2 a tablet a day which will cost you about 50p/day but it will really help to keep him healthy.