I have been asked....

Digger123

Visit site
If I want to loan my horse out to the hunt. I am seriously considering it as I am struggling with finding time to ride as I have a few domestic issues that need my attention.
I also think that it could possibly be the making of him. He's 5 going on 6 but has his moments when he can be a real wimp and spook. He's had me off more times in the last 12 months than I ever fell off my old mare in the 10 yrs of owning her.
He went hunting last season and was as good as gold.At the opening meet , whilst all others were bombing around out of control , not one thing did he do wrong.
I think he just needs someone more confident in his life at this moment in time and who will give him the consistancy in riding which he needs.

Do you think a season hunting will help make him braver ?

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Yes, it will. However, you have to consider several things.
Firstly, horses first time out hunting are often so gob smacked they do behave because they haven't a clue what it is all about.
Secondly if you are loaning him the the hunt - for the hunt staff to ride, then he is in for some very hard work. he will be taken out for probably two half days each week and the whip and huntsmen's horses are doing a lot more work than in the field.
Finally once a horse has been ridden by the hunt staff, they often do not settle well when ridden back in the field - they think they should be right up at the front!
Not all horses are like this but many are.

There are very few horses that do not benefit from a season hunting.

Chavhorse

Visit site
I put my spooky, immature 6 year old into exercise livery with my friend (who is far more confident and braver than me!).

In three months he is hacking out like an old pro and is starting to be hacked out alone, schooling well (without the bolting off at wharp speed round the school when he feels insecure about something), being used as one of the horses for the Stage III riding students, been taken as a companion to shows and events and ridden in amongst all the associated melee and is being entered in the winter dressage league at Prelim level.

I think it has been the making of him and he has matured and now just seems to know his job and what he needs to do, to the point that I can now ride him and not feel scared to death:)

So I am totally in favor of handing your horse over to a more confident rider for a while, one condition, it has to be someone who you trust 100%

Digger123

Visit site
Yes, it will. However, you have to consider several things.
Firstly, horses first time out hunting are often so gob smacked they do behave because they haven't a clue what it is all about.
Secondly if you are loaning him the the hunt - for the hunt staff to ride, then he is in for some very hard work. he will be taken out for probably two half days each week and the whip and huntsmen's horses are doing a lot more work than in the field.
Finally once a horse has been ridden by the hunt staff, they often do not settle well when ridden back in the field - they think they should be right up at the front!
Not all horses are like this but many are.

There are very few horses that do not benefit from a season hunting.

I am not actually worried about him doing some hard work I think he will benefit from it, as at the moment it is what he needs.I actually think he needs the mental stimulation as well as the physical activity.
Also I take your point about him wanting to be up front. That again is perhaps not a bad thing .When I first ever went hunting the one tip I had was to keep up with the masters then you are never playing catch up.
It also means - I hope - he will be a little braver :)

canteron

Visit site
It sounds possibly as if it would be the making of him, but there are a couple of things I would talk over before handing him over .....

1. Are they going to insure him for hunting accidents - and will they look after him if he has one. (Hunting insurance is more expensive for obvious reasons).

2. You don't want them starting him hunting, decide he isn't the horse for the job if he gets a little bit over excited and then hand you back an overwrought horse. So make sure that if the horse doesn't like the job of whipping in (or whatever he is going to do) that they will get someone to hunt him with the pack until he settles down sanely, before handing him back!!!

Other than that, sounds great!!

abina

Visit site
Go along these lines ....as 1st time out normally a bit stunned, second time, a bit of a handful, third time ... whey hey major party time ! and not until they have been 5/6 times will you know if he will hunt.

Most horses love a season or two hunting, only a few get so over wrought that makes them a mental case thereafter, many will 'hunt' for days afterwards in their heads, but will get the idea and relax into it.

A confident rider will certainly help your boy, give it some good thought.