I have the BEST Mim

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
How did I find such an absolute star of a horse? She has such an amazing brain on her, I feel like I get more support from her than I do from most humans.

Last night we had a minor crisis. A fuse began to fail on one of the electricity pylons in our fields. There were flickering lights and power surges across three of the local villages. By about 1.30am, and in the pouring rain and pitch black, SSE arrives with trucks lit up like Christmas trees, an entourage of other cars. And of course the fault is with the pylon in the field that the horses are in.

I’m out there as quickly as possible. Miri, being a normal horse - a sweet horse but a normal horse- is very worried about the loud noises, beeping, flashing lights, strange men in luminous clothing etc and is prancing about. Mim, however, has got this. She came to call, despite the scary things, popped her nose in the head collar, and led my way in the dark to go and fetch Miri.

Miri was really not happy and we had a lot of plunging around which is dangerous in the dark, especially when it’s so slippery. But the pratting about stopped immediately when Mim gave her a good telling off 🤣

So then I had a brave Mim, and a sheepish but shaky Miri, one in each hand, and I had to navigate farm gates which we don’t usually use to go the long way around to the yard. But of course Mim will wait, back up, move around the gate and reverse to help me close it. So it’s only really leading one horse - Mim is more like having a shadow.

When we eventually get onto the yard, there are three scary unknown vehicles. And I’ve got to get two horses into their stables, knowing Miri hates her stable at the best of times. I’m holding my breath as we walk through the vehicles but Mim is so cool, she just strides right through and Miri is too shell shocked to object. I did get Miri into her stable, but not without some convincing. Mim stands like a rock until it’s her turn to go in, and then effectively puts herself to bed.

Photos pre adventure because it wouldn’t have been safe to not have 100% focus on getting there in one piece.

IMG_0059.jpeg

IMG_0046.jpeg

The next morning, we still had SSE in the yard and, murphy’s law, I’d booked the trimmer. I ended up having to give Miri half a tube of relaquine and we managed her ok. Mim, on the other hand, was completely unfazed by everything.

IMG_0066.jpeg

Good background shot of the level of chaos 🤣

IMG_0105.jpeg

And of course Mim endeared herself to all the big burly SSE chaps. They all thought she was marvelous. Huge credit to SSE - they worked through the night, and switched out teams for the morning but got the whole thing sorted by lunch. Pretty amazing.

I just love my little friend so much. She is such a pleasure, so clever and she steps up beautifully no matter what peculiar thing is thrown at her. I don’t know whether it’s nature or nurture, if it’s the Arab war mare genetics in combination with her lovely, generous nature. I’ve never had a horse who is just so actively helpful.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Hurray for Mim!

k0302.gif

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
The ones I’ve known have been one or the other, nothing in between.

It’s interesting, isn’t it. Miri is half arab/ half quarter horse (racing lines) and Mim is over 80% Arab with some pony blood and some thoroughbred in the mix. They are managed very similarly although Miri does get more feed (fast fibre from autumn) than Mim (chaff only until the depths of winter). Both are out 24/7 unless there is very extreme weather, fireworks or a weird electricity crisis.

They are both out of chestnut mares (Mim’s dam is tobiano) and by cremello stallions. Both are 7 years old, Mim is a March foal and Miri was born in May.

I have had Mim since she was rising 3. I’ve had Miri just over a year.

Miri is sensitive and highly strung at a baseline, but is in a very calming, stable environment so she is absolutely fine. Miri doesn’t like change. She really lacks her own confidence but is lovely to ride, as she is entirely focused on me. Not a nervous rider’s horse though.

Mim is so confident. Mim is never freaked out, and she doesn’t loose her head. She can be fresh and playful but it’s not a cortisol-driven response. If something scary happens, she tenses up briefly and then lets it all go completely and we can go back to hacking on the buckle. She can stroll onto a new yard and be foot perfect from day one. She really seems to have her own self-awareness. She looks after me, rather than looks to me for confidence. Mim is excellent for children and nervous riders to ride, and lovely on the ground for non-horsey people.

Mim is the sort of horse that won’t be pushed around though. If she’s on your side, she’s 100% with you but it’s very much a partnership. Miri wants you to take charge.

This week reminded me how much I might like a foal from Mim (potential risk to her is the only thing putting me off) but one wonders, what are the chances of the foal inheriting her temperament/ brain? Or is it a combination of temperament and upbringing? Upbringing we can guarantee, as foal would never be for sale.

And how much of a factor is the stallion? I would be thinking small thoroughbred or pure racing type Arab. These tend to be less cortisol-resilient.

I really would I could genetically sequence every horse in this equation, and understand what’s going on biologically.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I love brave, sensible mares.

This is a picture of Hermosa and yard's giant free range goat. It has had some female goats for a while, and brought in this male to breed with them. He keeps jumping out of their pen. There's probably a whole lotta issues with that, given how busy the yard is, but I decided that none of that was my problem so long as my horse wasn't bothered by the goat. Some of the horses have been quite alarmed by it. The goat escaped right before I got on today, so before mounting, I brought her to where it was to see if it was going to be a thing.

As you can see, it was not.

395299406_10101169572943345_2445140697611856163_n.jpg

I'm about as far from an expert in breeding as it gets, but if I was wanting to breed Hermosa (again...on purpose), I would choose a PRE stallion with a sane, quiet temperament. Hermosa's son is a lovely character, very chilled out and gentle. Being by her half brother isn't ideal, but an unrelated stallion who is also a nice character should throw a good foal.

A part of me wonders what a PRExHighland would be like, but I think to get something a bit more predictable in temperament and type, I would be sensible: stick with PREs and choose a sweet one.

I know TB can add spiciness to the Arab. Some of the Anglos I know (they are popular in the US) have been hot, hot, hot.

In your case, I would probably look for an Arab stallion with a brave, kind nature. Probably couldn't go too far wrong with that.

Last edited:

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I love brave, sensible mares.

This is a picture of Hermosa and yard's giant free range goat. It has had some female goats for a while, and brought in this male to breed with them. He keeps jumping out of their pen. There's probably a whole lotta issues with that, given how busy the yard is, but I decided that none of that was my problem so long as my horse wasn't bothered by the goat. Some of the horses have been quite alarmed by it. The goat escaped right before I got on today, so before mounting, I brought her to where it was to see if it was going to be a thing.

As you can see, it was not.

View attachment 126046

I'm about as far from an expert in breeding as it gets, but if I was wanting to breed Hermosa (again...on purpose), I would choose a PRE stallion with a sane, quiet temperament. Hermosa's son is a lovely character, very chilled out and gentle. Being by her half brother isn't ideal, but an unrelated stallion who is also a nice character should throw a good foal.

A part of me wonders what a PRExHighland would be like, but I think to get something a bit more predictable in temperament and type, I would be sensible: stick with PREs and choose a sweet one.

I know TB can add spiciness to the Arab. Some of the Anglos I know (they are popular in the US) have been hot, hot, hot.

In your case, I would probably look for an Arab stallion with a brave, kind nature. Probably couldn't go too far wrong with that.

I love Hermosa 😊

blitznbobs

Visit site
She sounds fab I love a sensible horse, my 3 year old mare is making me nervous at the moment because she is being too sensible about everything inclueing the backing process and I’m waiting for fireworks but they may never come!

however, if you gave my cob a wheelbarrow full of hay like that you could amputate his leg!!

tristars

Visit site
there has been times when i have expected fireworks and got the opposite, bravery is a priority

i think PBA is the horse with everything and some of mine are mixed with PRE arab tb

its delightful when they show you how helpful they can be, mim is a star, glad you got through that ok

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
there has been times when i have expected fireworks and got the opposite, bravery is a priority

i think PBA is the horse with everything and some of mine are mixed with PRE arab tb

its delightful when they show you how helpful they can be, mim is a star, glad you got through that ok

It’s so interesting having the majority Arab blood versus the 50/ 50.

Mim (over 80%) is far more considered than Miri (50%). Miri is reactive and quite short term in her understanding. Mim gets the idea of complex consequences, and she figures things out. I’d say she’s more sensitive than Miri but also understands far more. I think having that Arab intelligence at a greater proportion balances out the sensitivity, whereas Miri is spicy without a lot of comprehension around consequence.

Love this photo though because it completely captures Miri getting an absolute schooling from Mim 🤣

IMG_0376.jpeg

She’s so ‘on my side’ and Miri really wasn’t being helpful today, although not deliberately. Just a bit like an over-excited Labrador puppy.

It would be interesting to compare with other people’s PBAs, and Arab horses.

My reference is 100% arab (2) and welsh x arab (1), quarter horse x arab (2) and a 90% arab (sadly lost as a yearling) and 80% PBA both with some pony and some thoroughbred blood.

My high percentage and pure Arabs have all been amazingly helpful sorts, and my 50% ones have been harder work.