I have the BEST Mim

Wishfilly

Visit site
I've known a few PBAs, and quite a few full arabs (I used to work for a lady who bred them!).

I know arabs have a reputation for being scatty/sharp etc, but the ones I knew were generally quite bold and *if* they trusted you, they were the sort of horses who would walk through fire for you. However, if they thought you were an idiot, they would take responsibility for keeping you safe (whatever that involved). They were definitely sensitive/responsive and didn't like being ridden with "hard" aids. There were some, especially the mares, who would just take exception to certain people and refuse to have anything to do with them!

With the PBAs, they were quite variable- one which was a high % arab was very lovely, really adapted himself to his rider and would look after a complete novice if you asked him to! Not sharp or spooky at all, but equally capable of eventing/showjumping to a reasonable standard with the right rider. There was another who was also high % arab, but was much less bright. With a competent rider, he was fine, and I really enjoyed hacking him out, but he was not very careful at all with his feet, and liable to scare himself jumping. I think I do agree that some of the other PBAs could be sensitive but without the arab boldness/cleverness to back that up- if they "boiled over" they were very hard to bring back on side. I think it's quite telling that she's sold quite a few of the 50% PBAs, but never any of the 100% or high percentage ones.

Definitely with all the full arabs it was very much a partnership, and you had to earn their respect as a partner before they would really trust you.

I do love arabs though, and I think a lot of people who want a good all-rounder 14.2-15hh ought to give them more consideration! I know the way of going isn't for everyone, but in many ways they are excellent horses! I do think they are sensitive, and don't always react well to change, so as much as I would love to own one, I'd be nervous about buying one who'd been through a lot of private homes.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
My pony mare was PBA, from palomino PBA lines but the inevitable chestnut you can get. Sire was Arab, dam was mainly TB and Arab with something else to bring the cream gene in. Working out the % would be complicated but more than 50% Arab.

Very intelligent, very loyal - I was her human but very sensible. The same in 16h would be perfect these days.

Don't have many photos in those pre camera phone days but here's a couple.

Screenshot_20231104-201139~2_202428.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231104-201216~2_202432.jpg
    Screenshot_20231104-201216~2_202432.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 6