I hope that I never have to sell a horse again.

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
It is the most stressful thing. And 5 weeks later, not a single viewing, and I have dropped her price by 2k from the original. :( :( I am so upset about it all.

PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one :(

You aren't :( I had been trying to sell my mare since March this year after my circumstances changed and she finally went to her new home on Sunday. I evetually ended up having to sell her to a dealer (although thankfully a reputable lovely one) for a third of the price I originally paid for her.

Selling sucks at the best of times, but in this market...it is even more pants. The worst thing is I have an unbacked, unbroken 3 year old who is pushing 16.3 to sell now for the same reasons as to why Kia was sold. How he is going to sell when a ridden 6 year old mare didn't for months...I have no idea. I can't afford to get him riding away etc, so will prob end up cutting my losses on him as well, especially given what we paid for him.

Feel your pain, and unfortunately have no comfort other than a hug :( xxx

galaxy

Visit site
Put in Horse and Hound

Mine was for sale 2 weeks, nothing. Put her in H&H and the interest started.

The £50 ad is worth it!

I can't believe you've had no viewings though!

(I've just pmed you!)

skint1

Visit site
Not selling but I can imagine it might be a nightmare especially if you really need to, buyers really have the upper hand right now.

Abbeygale

Visit site
No - you're definitely not the only one.

I had my mare advertised in April - had 2 joy riders come to see her - and then no more interest at all.

A couple of months ago I sent her down on sale livery to my friends yard, so that she was getting ridden and to lighten the load at home (I've been poorly this year hence why I am selling :() and she has now found a lovely home.

It is taking time to sell everything at the moment I think - there are so many horses for sale. I'm sure that someone will come along shortly, who will be perfect for your horse - so don't give up hope! I had almost given up when my girls new dad came along :)

Have you advertised on the usual websites - horsemart, ad horse, thehorseexchange? What about printing off a few A4 sheets with your add details on, and a couple of nice pics and putting them up in your local tack shops / feed merchants?

Good luck x

Louby

Visit site
Sorry nothing really constructive to say as Im not selling a horse but as a buyer and seller and now looking to buy another ..... whispers horsebox, Ive found I bought at a high price, sold at a bargain price but now Im looking again I cant find any bargains and sellers dont seem to want to budge with there prices. They say its a buyers market at the moment, but I dont seem to see any bargains.

I hope you find a buyer soon, good luck

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I put my wonderful pony up for sale yesterday - a heartbreaking decision, but he deserves more fun than I can give him, and his sale would help me get a new horse for my daughter. :(

I am fully expecting to get little or no phone calls, as the market is so difficult at the moment! :mad:

Vizslak

Visit site
Not trying to sell a horse but I cant even sell a quad bike at the mo, I can only imagine how much more difficult a horse is to sell in this climate! I really hope that it doesnt come to needing to sell Fred, its going to be a real struggle. You have my sympathies.

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
I've never sold anything from a H&H advert! I've paid from their cheapest ads, up to £150 ads, and never even had a single phone call! The same horses, priced the same (or in one case slightly more) on Horsequest (using their 'premier' slot) all sold within a week.

Kat

Visit site
Sorry to hear you are struggling Coffee Bean, the market is just generally rubbish at the moment. You know how long I've been looking to buy. Shame your mare isn't suitable or we could have killed two birds with one stone!

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
It took us about 8 weeks to sell my lovely 5 year ISH - he was advertised as a hunter and we had so many idiots come and try him out. He sized them up and was particularily unhelpful!!

We have finally sold him as a huntsmans horse through word of mouth so all the advertising we did wasn't even worth it!!

Hollyberry

Visit site
I am in the same position as you. Trying to sell my connemara for months now, dropped price, no interest whatsoever. I am having to pay livery and for someone to keep him ticking over as bought new horse when I thought he was sold. The strange thing is he is supposedly what everyone is after, right size, age, breed but no phone calls whatsover. I am very worried for the winter and I feel so sorry for him as he is a sweetie and just wants to be settled somewhere.

galaxy

Visit site
I am in the same position as you. Trying to sell my connemara for months now, dropped price, no interest whatsoever. I am having to pay livery and for someone to keep him ticking over as bought new horse when I thought he was sold. The strange thing is he is supposedly what everyone is after, right size, age, breed but no phone calls whatsover. I am very worried for the winter and I feel so sorry for him as he is a sweetie and just wants to be settled somewhere.

Could you pm me his ad? I know a couple of children in the PC who are looking for nice 14.2 ish ponies.

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Yeh it is so difficult :( If she doesn't sell within a few weeks I will have to bring her home and turn away for winter, and try again in spring :(

For whoever asked- I'm selling because she is too big, I don't have time for her, and I can't afford her + my horse who is coming back off loan :(

ETA- she's on horsemart, horsequest and the dealers website.

Faithkat

Visit site
I'm trying to sell a pony at the moment and am almost at my wits end. He's been on Horsequest and HorseExchange for four weeks with no calls at all. Last week I put him on NFED and thus far I've had one email saying that they are "extremely interested" (but nothing further although I replied), one scam email which I just deleted and one phone call which sounded quite hopeful with a possible viewing at the weekend (turned out to be from one of the vets at my equine practice so I'm pretty hopeful!) I've replied to three "wanted" ads (including someone on HHO) who want exactly what he is but only had the courtesy of one reply saying they'd already found a pony. If he doesn't go privately, he will go to the Beaulieu Road Sales in October as he simply has to go . . . . . but I'm getting very fed up with people saying they can't find what they want when there ARE the horses/ponies who fit the bill. I wonder about people sometimes . . . .

Suzie86

Visit site
this is making me nervous as am about to advertise my little project pony!! Uh ooooh - the plan really isnt to still have him in the winter!! Was going to advertise on horsequest or perhaps horsemart as i think slightly cheaper. hmmmmm

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
seen the advert, whoever gets her at that price is getting a bargain. I wish I could buy her I think she is lovely. So sorry that you have to go through this. Hope she gets a nice home.

Vicki_Krystal

vpequestrian.weebly.com
Im at the point where, having read all these threads, im not even going to advertise mine.
Lovely well mannered horses, but im not prepared to go through the selling saga to only get peanuts for them :-(
Best i dig out the winter rugs and haynets then....

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
Coffee - Haven't you only just got her? I'm sure it was you posting about when you got her, I recognise the pic in your siggy. I'm sorry you have to part with her, and if I had the money, I would certainly be booking in for a viewing... can you not full loan?

Trust me, I have been trying to sell my car since spring, and all I have had is time wasters and joy riders, wanting a quick race in the Scooby! But don't worry, it will happen. My OH was telling me about a friend who's been trying to sell his car for months, and was just about to give up when he had a buyer offer him the full asking price!

It just takes time, good luck....

*goes off to count the pennies*

Unpaid Groom

Visit site
only just sold my boy after only owning him a few months and I have taken a huge hit on what I paid for him, I'm just thankful his new home seems perfect for him

Fahrenheit

www.ipcmedia.com
I was completely losing all hope of selling anything in the current market, but I advertised my 3yo just backed gelding a few weeks ago on HorseQuest, had my first call 12 hours later, they came to see him the next day, rang back 2 hours later with an good offer, I accepted, was vetted 2 days later, passed and off to his new home a few days after that! Admittedly I advertised him at 5k instead of the 7k (which is what in a normal market we would have asked) but I knew the market was down and wanted to make him attractive to potential buyers. So there is hope out there!!

Wish I was having the same luck with all the foals to 2yos tho!