I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

blodwyn1

Visit site
If he has ems also get a Cushing's test done. Long grass is much safer than short grass for sugar content. Also really recommend a track system with water as far away as possible, it really does keep them moving.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
What lovely boy! No weight loss tops from me as I'm useless. But moving from sports horse types to cob types is a shock to the system... I'm still trying to break my 'feeder' habits and be happy to have very hungry horses!

Top chop zero is the easiest to get option for the chaff I'd say.

Enjoy him! And welcome to The Cob Life (which us only as thuggish as you let it be ?)

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Congratulations and hope you have loads of fun with him.

My cob has equine asthma so I'm more limited on forage but I've found top chop zero the easiest straw chop the easiest to get hold off, I feed it fairly wet to reduce dust but think I probably would anyway.

With regard to scabby bits on legs I've found the best thing to work for us is udder cream rubbed in every day when it is actively scabby and every few days when not. I've also had good results using sudocrem but it's so sticky. When it's been at it's worst I tend to wash of with a very mild solution of hibiscrub which according to a lot of people shouldn't help but it works for us. I've tried many things over the last 6 years and these are the most successful to the point where he hasn't had anything other than a few bits of loose scabs with no damage to the skin underneath for the last two years. Reading what has helped other people though I do think it's a lot of trial and error to find what works for you. I've managed to grow J's feathers but if I find the scabs aren't clearing up I just cut the hair off on the bits affected which seems to help and also makes them easier to treat. He's so hairy the rest of his feathers cover the cut bits so it looks fine.

I've also done the mowing a turn out area with a lawn mower thing! The last two years I've set a bit of track up, I can't do a full track due to the set up of the land but I've a small grazing area at each end connected with a track which includes the stable area. I've found they move around more on it and I think it seems a bit more interesting for them.

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Thank you all. Mr Red and I have spent all morning proofing the arena with electric tape on the rails, so he can have more time out without wrecking the joint. He has a small amount of hay there too.

I will get Top Chop Zero this morning.

I also need a new girth. I did have a sit on him when I tried him, as I do want to ride and just wanted to get a feel for him. I just walked round a stubble field, but he has lost so much weight that his girth was top hole both sides and still not quite tight enough. His saddle was quite low too, but I have a saddle pad. So, I will get a slightly smaller girth and the pad will take up more of the slack.

I will also get a weigh tape.

I am getting a second energiser so we don't have to move it from field to arena.

This morning I scratched his legs with wonder gel, found the scabs and most came off. His feet were a bit smelly too, but with no thrush visible. I suspect sweaty feet go with scabby legs. They will get a scrub tonight.

Winters100

Visit site
I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say that he looks great and I think you will have a wonderful time with him! A very handsome chap. Congratulations!

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Ahhh he looks gorgeous - welcome to the world of cob ownership - the labradors of the horse world!
im convinced they have a differently wired brain to others but never a dull day with them.
Good luck.

JJS

Visit site
He is beautiful! With regard to growing feather/keeping mites at bay, we’ve had a lot of luck with dog flea treatments. Spot-on stuff works well, although I personally like flea shampoos best. Mary hasn’t had any problems in a long time now, but when she has been itchy in the past, regular washes with this seem to have been the trick to getting on top of it.

Red-1

Visit site
What a cracking chap, and he’s very lucky to have found his way to yours!

Happy cob wrangling :).

ETA Do you have a weigh tape? It’s a useful piece of kit for cob owners.

Went to the saddlers, they didn't have one so eBay it is. As is a more accurate spring balance. As is a new energiser.

Goldenstar

Visit site
On the itchy legs I bought a cob two weeks ago (you can see him on my introducing .... thread )
The sales livery had clipped his legs exposing a mass of oozing sores ,scars and scabs , not nice .
My vet advised washing with malaseb then apply ivermectin lotion once a fortnight .
in between we have used flammazine which shifted the infection and removed scabs by massaging in udder cream .
The improvement is astonishing he’s due the next wash and ivermectin lotion tomorrow .
the creases with scabs and oozing in the backs of his knees have healed and the rest is 20% of what was there he’s so much happier .
Your new cob is very nice give him plenty of work that’s the best way to keep him slim and healthy .

Red-1

Visit site
Thank you. I am having the vet out anyway, I have been recommended have a further blood test to see if he really is EMS as he put weight on through the owner's own issues combined with lockdown. That is when he was lame in one foot and the vet said very early lami, but so mild he wasn't x rayed. I may consider X rays to see what the inside of his foot is like, if it all looks good he could have his shoes back off as he was successfully barefoot for 15 years.

While the vet is here I will ask for Malaseb, ivermectin lotion and flamazine (I think they are all PO).

Gosh it is so nice in some ways not to be insured for vets etc. as I can feel free to tell the vet about all issues without thinking I am dropping the sword of Damocles by putting an exclusion on!

I have also got confirmation that his previous vets records have been released, so I can get a copy and speak with the vet who treated him at the time. I will forward hs records to his new vets.

I do think he is ready for more food, his current diet is what he lost all his weight on, but you can now see 4 ribs through his thick coat, so it is time for him to stop his weight loss diet and start a maintenance diet, especially as he will be starting work.

Also, he was on a straw bed before, but is not now, so he will be getting less than before. He munched straight down his scoop of Top Chop Zero (I added water as his droppings are a bit dry). If I run it past the vet I will be safe as I am not experienced with lami or EMS.

He is now back in bed, it has been an exhausting first day!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Re scabby legs, I rub on baby oil twice a week, currently we have dandruff only. I brushed below his hocks yesterday, the amount of fur that came out was shocking. Regular grooming is essential with a cob.