I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I really don't want to write this Red but it looks horribly like pemphigus ETA and some things you've written about his thin skin fit too :(
That is all OK. All I ever look at is that he is happy now, and he is. His coronets are on the list for the vet to examine. They do get scaley, they may be then end of him, or lami could be, or colic, or lameness, or whatever... The old owner said he has had similar before, and he is still here. When it is his time, it is his time. Meanwhile, he is doing great. Besides, if he had feathers we wouldn't even know anything was wrong! The vet will examine it.

Red-1

Visit site
I also don't like things that I don't understand. I would be asking a good horse vet exactly what was going on with the cracks. If they were unable to supply a satisfactory explanation I would ask them to send very clear pics to Dr Knott so that I was doubly sure everything was fine. I am sure many may find that over the top but better to be safe than sorry IMHO.

Re the booting to get him out riding what would most likely work would be the largest scoots that you tried that twisted. I expect you had a fit kit. I never use them for scoots I don't find they are accurate enough. If you have the real thing with straps on the front it will probably twist a lot less. To prevent damage to the back of the pastern/heels I would use the endurance gaiters. (not the gaiters that come with the boots) The larger size boot would leave sufficient room for them and with that combination the heels should be safe.

Vet booked for next Thursday.

The scoots would have rubbed him raw, even the large ones. His heels get dandruff and are not robust!

paddy555

Visit site
Vet booked for next Thursday.

The scoots would have rubbed him raw, even the large ones. His heels get dandruff and are not robust!

thats great about the vet. YCBM was more forward than I was. :D Unless your vet is certain there is a simple explanation then Dr Knottenbelt is the person for your vet to ask.

the purpose of endurance gaiters is to stop any possibility of rubbing.

Red-1

Visit site
Today, another first!

It was a schooling day, but a light one as we did more than usual on Sunday.

Today we got mounted up and walked an intro dressage test. Then, we did it properly, including the trot! He was amazing. Only meant about 8 minutes in walk and less than 4 in trot all told, but the boy did good! Celery celebration after each test, and jackpot treat once I dismounted.

The little horse who wouldn't even stay on the outer track 10 days ago did good. Even went up the centre line to the end, he used to dump his shoulder and veer off from about half way. If I were to be critical, we missed the centre line slightly, plus he didn't bend correctly in the corners on the left rein. The end of the centre line is still not correct. Oh, and he has never done an 'official' FWLR before, but as he has been taught to seek the contact he did it brilliantly. Only, because he was a star I said "Good Boy" and he almost parked up for a celery celebration. Note to self, will have to be really careful to use Good Boy as verbal praise only and Woah! is when he has celery. Never go Good Boy followed by Woah! as he is anticipating :rolleyes:

Even I think his schooling will be fine for an intro test, once comps start again - end of the month is it? He is travelling well, soft and seeking. Will have to teach him to load first LOL. But need the grass to dry up so he can have loading lessons. It would be too hard on his feet on the gravel, hence not 'doing' loading yet. There is one venue within hacking distance, it will likely be there that he does his debut. He has NEVER competed in his life.

For those interested in coronets, it first appeared on 31 Jan as a thin sore, found it when I clipped. This photo is the day I found it. It then looked like it had healed up, but last week, when he was washed and scrubbed, the thin scab layer came off and the crack was apparent. It appeared the week after we rode through the flood water, so I wondered if there was 'something' in the water that irritated it? The crack is lower than the rash was though, so it does look as if it is growing out.

144980355_159899429067019_7933280255890333897_n.jpg

I actually think it is just periople-thick. If you remember, when he had a suspect abscess, I tubbed and poulticed his foot, and the periople rubbed off with the wet. It looked like he had lost half his foot wall! I was terrified the foot would fall apart, but that part has grown down and is now near the bottom of the foot, and he still has good hoof wall depth. His hoof walls are thick. Interestingly, his perioples were all really thick, down at least 2/3 of the hoof, but as his hooves have improved, the periople is peeling off all over, making his feet look a bit messy. It also helps that his previous owner said he had something similar before, and he is still here. It just righted itself previously, apparently, I presume it grew out.

I do know that, if I worried about every single ailment Rigsby has, I would never enjoy having him. The list of his 'issues' is looooong. The deal I did with myself when I bought him was that Rigsby is on Rigsby's journey. I can help, guide, make the best decisions I can. He has good management, seems happy and sound, is loving life and work. The photos have gone to the vet, the vet is coming, Rigsby is having a barrage of examinations, blood tests, vaccinations, teeth, worm counts, X rays if necessary.

Meanwhile, today we just rode out first dressage test - even if it was just an intro, and the only work he did today!

Small victories add up. Seize the day. Enjoy the now and the moment. I am loving his progress.

Last edited:

Red-1

Visit site
Had a long conversation with the vet who is coming. Long list of things to do. He is having the starvation/sugar syrup test, to see how he will cope with grass. He only had the resting one last time, I believe.

Lovely lady, chatted about all his issues. She is booking a long appointment.

Red-1

Visit site
You will all laugh at me I am sure...

There is anecdotal evidence that vaccinations can bring on lami.
There is anecdotal evidence that sugar challenge tests can bring on lami.
There is even anecdotal evidence that stress of vet procedures can bring on lami.

After committing to the sugar challenge test, I have had the cold hand of fear round my heart.

I took Riggers for his morning walk today, and had a long think, with his friendly, furry face alongside me.

And when I got back, I have called the vets and rearranged his appointments over 3 appointments instead of 2.

I would rather pay the extra visit and be safer.

It came to be when a workman in the village jumped to feed Rigsby a digestive biscuit, and I had to explain that he is horsie-diabetic and no, he can't even have just the one. Why would I be SO careful, for so long, and then penny pinch? He isn't even allowed grass. He isn't even allowed hay unless it is soaked to leach sugars out! The only reason I had dithered is because the vet will think I am neurotic. Well, I don't really care! I will do what melts the cold hand of fear.

Besides, for the sugar challenge test I have to get out of bed at 3am to drain and serve his hay, then he will be starved from 6.30am. I then bring him in at 12.30 and syringe sugar into him, but give no food. I cannot think of it ending well for the vet to waltz up at 1.30pm, to a hangry cob, and try to examine him!

You wouldn't like him when he is hangry!

So, it will be vaccinations, teeth and examinations first time, with him fat and happy. 2nd time - hangry cob, quick blood draw. 3rd time - next lot of vaccinations. Worming can be done a couple of weeks after all that.

*whispers* yes, there is anecdotal evidence worming can tip them over the edge too ?. We will be worm counting and I did bang a wormer in when he first arrived (I risked a Pramox when he wasn't quite as precious), plus poos have been cleared almost as soon as they hit the floor, so it may be that he doesn't need a wormer anyway. Done.

I feel easier inside with separating the procedures.

Last edited:

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I completely understand and have done the same myself but in my case it was splitting flu and tetanus jabs up as he gets so sore with them I wanted to try them separately. Interestingly it turns out that it's the flu jab he reacts to rather than the tetanus.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I completely understand and have done the same myself but in my case it was splitting flu and tetanus jabs up as he gets so sore with them I wanted to try them separately. Interestingly it turns out that it's the flu jab he reacts to rather than the tetanus.

When my horse reacted my vet told me it was almost always the adjuvant, not the vaccine, and would be worth trying a different brand. In fact mine was so bad I was told never to risk Prevac with him again. He was fine with the other common one.

Red-1

Visit site
I was going to stop posting as much, but people have said that they enjoy reading our little adventures, some people said it is helping them steer their cob's lessons...so... today... Started last night!

Rigsby welcomes me when I go to fetch him in. I like to think he likes me, but I know it is as much that he has run out of hay and is keen for more. Last night Riggers made a schoolboy error, he touched the electric fence. He was FURIOUS. He squealed, kicked out, ran up and down, ploughed the arena surface. He could not be pacified, so I went in for a cup of tea and waited, looking through the lounge window, until he had put his brain back in.

20 minutes later, typical Rigsby style, he had forgotten all about it. This morning was supposed to be schooling, and I HAD intended to have a bit of a canter, but I reckon he did all his canter last night! There is plenty to work on though, and I reckon the way to find out what needs doing today is to simply turn up.

So, we presented ourselves on the school and yes, the subject of the day materialised. In the lovely photos from Sunday, I rocked the Matalan £12.50 jeggins (!) but thought the riding boots looked scruffy. I have new half chaps, but they are not broken in, so I have avoided them. Today I wore them and realised that, although Rigsby has improved his reaction to the leg, he is still slow. I realised because every time I drew my leg (incorrectly) up instead of in, the back of the half chaps dug in.

I was a bit Grrrr as I *thought* I had already sorted this. I made a distinct effort after that canter photo upthread, where I am legging him on like a kid on a Thelwell pony! I looked at the more recent photos and congratulated myself on a job well done. Nope, the half-chaps informed me that it was a job half-done, and for comfort I had better complete it.

That was job-of-the-day. Me being strict with myself to keep my leg only working properly, using a flick to tap Rigsby up. To be fair, it is all in layers, and if I had tried to achieve what we did today earlier, it would just have made him cross. As I have said before, it is an endless round of fix this, tidy up that, repair the other, refresh another. Round and round and each time you reveal a new layer of.... sophistication? Harmony? attention? Focus? all of the above and more I think.

As ever, we have celery and stick, the flick stick is just a flick and celery celebrations follow good efforts. Forward and rhythmic happened quite easily going large, so we worked on some circles. I remember at a Buck Brannaman clinic, he described the horse as being within an imaginary rectangle, and you have to keep them in the middle of it. Like a force field round them, and they must keep going forwards, even round the corners, so they don't fall to the back of the rectangle. Rigsby was in the middle going large, but fell back in the circles. So we worked on that. We even did two 10m circles on each rein. 10m circles are new for Rigsby, but it was only 4 in total, at walk.

We practiced centre lines too, turning onto them and keeping straight. Halting. Moving off, keeping in that imaginary rectangle. Rigsby had a great work ethic. Knew it was all fair. Understood. Was rewarded to his satisfaction.

20 minutes under saddle, all at walk. I am being respectful to his old legs. We are walking out round the village tomorrow. Then...

Very excited for the saddle fitter on Saturday!

It is also lovely to be looking forward to the end of lockdown 3. The whole idea of Rigsby was that I needed a companion, and had thought of a Shetland, but, having had one of THOSE before, wondered if it wouldn't be simpler to have a potentially rideable horse. I also knew that looking after a vulnerable one would be good for me whilst going through trauma with mum. The hope was that he would make a mount for friends to ride out with, and just as a fun character. Friends have not been able to share the journey, there has been disappointment all round.

Lockdown looks to be lifting, Rigsby has 4 people ready to come and have a sit. I haven't been able (yet) to get him comfortable enough for hacking, but they are welcome on the school, if they want 20 minutes, mainly at walk. They will, they are mainly people who did ride professionally, who have not ridden for ages and would love a sit on a friendly, furry character. End of the month we can have outdoor visitors (I think?). One person is already booked in to meet at the bus stop bench outside, to go for a walk. They are not bothered about riding, but want some horse time.

Goodness only knows why I decided to share Rigsby's journey, I am usually very private about my horses. I think a bit was about how many people were saying it was cruel when people advertised older horses with problems; it got my goat as that is exactly what I was looking for and everyone was saying they should be PTS. Everyone said loan, but TBH, I didn't want a loan, I wanted to buy. Happily I found Rigsby and I then wondered if it would be nice to share the journey of one such horse. It was quite brave of me actually, as he could have needed to be PTS the first month, who knows?

If he was PTS now through some misfortune, I would still say I was honoured to own him. He has been a gem, and long may he continue to be so.

Last edited:

AandK

Visit site
I have to say, I love reading your updates on your journey with Rigsby! You sound so thorough and thoughtful, so I can see why he is coming on so well. Please keep updating us, I look forward to hearing his latest exploits, he sounds like such a character!

Red-1

Visit site
You write so well Red, would you ever consider writing a book about horse training and your experiences? I’d definitely be in the queue for a copy!

I half wrote a book about my work experiences, but it was for me to download TBH. I have also done some magazine articles, 8 articles over 2 magazines, but I was kind of pushed to do those. I have written some children's short books for our kids at school, where I am a TA. I found there was a niche for older children who have younger reading age, but don't want to be embarrassed with ditty-books or young looking cartoons. None of the above have ever made £, they have been just for fun.

I am not hot on spelling or punctuation, although being a TA in Y6 is helping with that!

If Rigsby's story is a success (as in we don't kill him with the vet examinations over the next couple of weeks), I also queried cut/paste then re-write with photos, for a self publish Amazon either coffee table or children's book. I think, because it is all here, that I would have to self-publish.

Red-1

Visit site
I have to say, I love reading your updates on your journey with Rigsby! You sound so thorough and thoughtful, so I can see why he is coming on so well. Please keep updating us, I look forward to hearing his latest exploits, he sounds like such a character!

He certainly is a character LOL. He is an ar$e! But a reasonably fair and very thoughtful one. In fact he has an extreme sense as to what is far and what is not. Cross the line and he lets you know.

Mr Red was complaining last night about what an ar$e he is (I think it was as a reaction to the ploughed arena), and I pointed out that, if he was perfect, I would find him very boring!

chaps89

Visit site
He could not be pacified, so I went in for a cup of tea and waited, looking through the lounge window, until he had put his brain back in.
I'm sorry, but LOL!
It's so easy when that happens to try and persist when actually the most helpful thing is to do what you did and leave them to get over themselves and work it out for 10 minutes, more people could do with learning that!

Please do keep the thread going, I'm really enjoying it.
I have a mare with an equally lengthy list of physical issues and I'm riding another who sounds very similar to Rigsby in regards to contact/throwing the shoulder about. It's heartening to hear/see your progress.

Roxylola

Visit site
I have been ruminating on the idea whilst riding my bike (being as the cob doesn't hack!).

Could be a working title, "Diary of a cob and a middle aged woman" or, "Out of the doldrums, diary of middle age in woman and cob" or, "Journey to mediocrity and fun" or, .... erm.... I don't know!
I feel like you need to make reference to cook's bottoms in there somewhere
I promised myself one day I'll write "a baddog's tale" the trials and tribulations of owning a minihound, but she adds to it on a daily basis so I'm too busy doing damage limitation to write ?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I think the recurring themes of celebrating small successes and enjoying what you have while you have it, are things that really resonate with me.

Same here! Keep the updates coming Red. My own horsey journey is on a bit of a pause at the moment but I'm so inspired by following yours and Rigsby's journey, I will try to keep these themes in mind for sure. :)

Red-1

Visit site
Finally found Rigsby some trainers that go over his big, furry feet. They were the least trendy, but the only ones to go big enough. He is like his mother!

They need breaking in, so we only walked to the first junction with them, then I pulled them and he was barefoot the rest of the way. A tiny rub mark, but only fur deep so fingers crossed
1f91e.png
they will end up comfortable. The shells on the fit kit said they were like wellies, but they are actually snug as he has fleshy heels.

The only issue being that I then walked round the village, including the main street, looking like we were off to do our shopping, with the boots in the bag they came in. Worse still, it was only when I got home that I realised that the bag was emblazoned with the slogan, "Life is simple, just kiss your horse." The shame!

I think in the future, he can wear his saddle so we can sling the boots on top and he can carry them himself.

157266877_10219981558553301_2234927070881456029_n.jpg
157638620_10219981558793307_3141445488862071942_n.jpg
157130369_10219981559353321_8437512312702438834_n.jpg

Reacher

Visit site
I like cavallos - yes they are a bit clumpy but they are easy to use and there is generally one model that will fit anything. My retired mare (round TB feet) had the simples on front feet, sports on rear and my Mr H has cavallo treks.
I too am enjoying your story and the training tips in it, please do keep posting. I think my Mr H (a lightweight cob of same age as Rigsby) is very similar in character! (Not sure he would be impressed by celery though)
I hope the forthcoming vet's visit is helpful with regard to your concerns. BTW I know you have mentioned concerns about spring grass / lami, do you have the option of "unimproving" the grass in his paddock?

Red-1

Visit site
I like cavallos - yes they are a bit clumpy but they are easy to use and there is generally one model that will fit anything. My retired mare (round TB feet) had the simples on front feet, sports on rear and my Mr H has cavallo treks.
I too am enjoying your story and the training tips in it, please do keep posting. I think my Mr H (a lightweight cob of same age as Rigsby) is very similar in character! (Not sure he would be impressed by celery though)
I hope the forthcoming vet's visit is helpful with regard to your concerns. BTW I know you have mentioned concerns about spring grass / lami, do you have the option of "unimproving" the grass in his paddock?

I am unsure what to do with the grass. The small paddock is quite mossy at one end, lush in places, has been well grazed over the years. Mr Red won't kill the grass. I did wonder about killing and seeing if there was some special grass seed that was low value.

Red-1

Visit site
Good news all round today.

First good news - the saddler has been. I knew the saddle was 'OK' or I wouldn't have used it all this time, but I also knew that it wasn't 'right' and that bothered me. I asked Kim Gordon to help me, she designed and makes her own Kruger brand saddles. They are not that well known, but whenever another saddler sees them, they have to admit that they are well made.

Kim has helped me before, I first asked her to come when I bought a Kruger saddle second hand, she is talented, with a proper 'eye' for what is right and where level is, both in the horse and in the tack. And the rider too, actually. I was so impressed with her with that saddle that she has helped me with 2 other saddles since, also bought second hand, that were not Kruger ones. There are saddlers and saddlers, and Kim is the real deal.

Kim thinks the saddle I have is OK, and that I had shimmed it OK. The reason it was bothering me is that it was slightly off on one side, it needed a slight change in shim and then it was straight. The horse looks straight in movement, in musculature etc, it seems it is the saddle. It is an older saddle, but Rigsby likes it and with the slight change in shim, he went straighter too. We even had our 4th canter. Right rein was on the track, losing it a bit at the end. Left rein was on the track too, and no tranter. I suspect it was the shimming making the improvement ;).

Kim is coming back in a few months to re-evaluate. She reckons he will have changed shape again and we can keep pace with the shimming.

Other good news, Fiona has done some research, and suspects that Rigsby is vitamin D deficient. This would make sense, he is dark coated, it is winter, it just fits. I have researched doses for vit D in horses. Rigsby is starting on Vitamin D, and Vitamin E. Just a modest dose to start with. I was severely vitamin D deficient myself, I know how debilitating it can be.

Third good thing of the day, Rigsby has started to shed his coat. Lots of it. Good news!

Oh, edited to add a 4th good thing - Rigsby's previous owner says she also tried boots and I have bought the exact ones that she did. She agreed that they did rub a bit at first, but then, hopefully for me too, they did bed in and he was happy in them. Yay!

Cloball

Visit site
You could try emorsgate seeds I think they have a traditional grazing mix for horses or might be able to advise?

Red-1

Visit site
As you may have seen, Rigsby is likely vet d deficient. He has been on a good quality general supplement, but I am now going to also supplement specifics. I know some of you have already researched all of this, so wondered if you could help?

I am starting on 6000 iu of vitamin D with vitamin K 200iu. I have read up and it appears this has been documented as safe. Very safe actually, far below the norm until I speak with the vet on Thursday. This is actually the dose I am currently on! The dratted horse is even pinching my vitamins!

I am also starting a vit E, but not an expensive one at this stage.

Magnesium- Is Mag Ox safe for a laminitis? I guess I am put off by the Ox part of it, as that sounds iron like! Is Mag Carbonate better? Especially for a horse who is on a vastly restricted diet?

Thank you in advance.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Some magnesium oxide can be contaminated with iron but you can get low iron magnesium oxide. ForagePlus source the low iron stuff. I think Red Horse Products might have something aling those lines too.

Personally I would have hay analysed for mineral profile and top up accordingly if hay is from a consistent source. Simply because that has worked really well for my own horses thus far.