I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Nooooo, Rigsby's asthma is back! He had a proper coughing fit today, having had a heaves line for a week or two. He has been on his anti-histamines and some oil concoction.

I have started the Ventipulmin, but the vet says that won't keep working until it all stops again at the end of September. We are reluctant to use an inhaler as steroids will make him more susceptible to lami.

I have ordered a baby spacer in case he needs the inhaler, the vet will assess in a couple of weeks.

:-(

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Sorry Rigby's struggling with his asthma. I know they are all individuals and can react differently but my mare who developed acute laminitis when on oral steroids, despite not being classed as at risk, was on inhaled steroids for the last 3 years of her life and had no further attacks of laminitis on them.

Eta, Ventipulmin had stopped working for her at this point.

Red-1

Visit site
Sorry Rigby's struggling with his asthma. I know they are all individuals and can react differently but my mare who developed acute laminitis when on oral steroids, despite not being classed as at risk, was on inhaled steroids for the last 3 years of her life and had no further attacks of laminitis on them.
Thank you, that makes me feel a bit better. I had a long conversation with the vet this afternoon and will have her out next week, after we have had a go at stabilising him on Ventipulmin.

She is hesitant as he is a risk of lami, with previous attacks, previous high ems readings and being borderline cushings (next test due in autumn). Not that he won't have them, more that if we can control it otherwise, that would be better.

However, I haver ordered a spacer to use with an inhaler to familiarise him with it. Just in case.

Ironically, he hasn't had a cough all day since. That is how he is, it is a proper attack of asthma, with no coughing in-between attacks.

I felt so sorry for him, I just fetched him in and allowed him a naughty pleasure. I led him half way across the lawn and then took the halter off, allowing him to squeal and run in for his tea. He loves that, goes to bed with a swagger!

Rigs is a proper character.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Hopefully you can get him stabilised with the Ventipulmin and it will work well enough if it seems to be attacks rather than long term problems. I was very scared to use the inhalers especially as my mare's laminitis was oral steroid induced but there were no other options left for her.

My mare initially didn't like the puff of the inhaler so I coughed to mask it ? it didn't take long for her to get used to it.

If he turns out to need long term inhaled steroids I've found a flexineb to be well worth the investment mainly because I physically struggle to administer the inhalers (I had a babyhaler) but it's also cheaper longterm and I find less time consuming.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I use a Flexineb when my horse has a flare up (allergies/asthma). I use steroids from time to time and the laminitis risk is less with inhaled steroids. It was a concern for me due to the type of horse I have, but we've never had an issue. The Flexineb is easy to use and my horse seems rather relaxed when it's on.

Annagain

Visit site
I know it's tricky because he's muzzled but would a nose net help him? I seem to remember last year you thought it was linked to crops growing in the area? A nose net really helped a friend's horse with asthma due to a rape seed pollen allergy, prevention being better than cure. She started him early though, it might be too late once he already has symptoms.

Red-1

Visit site
I know it's tricky because he's muzzled but would a nose net help him? I seem to remember last year you thought it was linked to crops growing in the area? A nose net really helped a friend's horse with asthma due to a rape seed pollen allergy, prevention being better than cure. She started him early though, it might be too late once he already has symptoms.

The vet suggested Vaseline in his nostrils as an alternative. I don't think a nose net would last the night even, he is a bit like a bull in a china shop. He has pulled 2 rings out of the wall, scratching on the haynet. I will see how the Vaseline goes. That starts tonight.

Red-1

Visit site
Sorry to hear Rigsby is struggling. Diva got laminitis triggered by a steroid inhaler. I was told the risk was zero from an inhaled steroid, but she had EMS so was walking the proverbial tightrope anyway.

I am sorry about Diva.

It is confusing as one vet says the risk is minimal, the other says avoid an inhaler if I can. Rigs is a little fatter this year because he dropped weight so fast with his asthma last year, I have given him a small cushion (pardon the pun!). Don't get me wrong, he is still slim not fat, but not the skinny that the vet prefers.

Interestingly, neither said the risk was zero.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Yeah, I've never heard that the risk is zero. I've only heard that it is less. I also think it's a better method of delivery.

However, you can use the Flexineb for treatments that don't involve steroids. Some just use NaCl alongside whatever other oral meds they are giving. I've also used ectoin (bitop equi lung) mixed with NaCl and my horse responded really well to that. I think some form of nebulizer treatment is valuable and goes right to the airways.

I've also heard that a higer dose of MSM can help with allergies too.

It's hard when you can't just remove the source such as dusty bedding or hay.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I have seen a couple of used Flexinebs, not sure the difference between E2 and E3 though?

I'm not sure. I have the E2. It's 3 or so years old now. I don't know the difference. Parts for the E2 will be available until sometime in 2025 so their website says the upgrade kit isn't necessary at this time, and mine works fine, so I haven't looked into it.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I have seen a couple of used Flexinebs, not sure the difference between E2 and E3 though?

I think but I'm not sure the difference is in the controller with the E3 being the newer version which has 3 delivery speeds.

You can also nebulise Balsamic air which some people have had good results with.

Eta, my first controller only had on/off nebulising speed, new one has three speeds.

Red-1

Visit site
2 days on from the phone call with the vet...

Rigs has been on his Ventipulmin, one scoop morning, 2 scoops night. He has (to his indignation and with much squealing) had Vaseline smeared in his nostrils. I decided a nose net would be quickly trashed by gave him BH's fly mask, with a long nose, as a compromise. He is also now on 15 anti histamine morning and the same at night. For good measure, he is having drops of the essential oils splashed in his tea.

And...

Only one solitary cough today!

He does look a moose though!

295078087_10222712607707823_4597052764911104046_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
Basically it was the forerunner of the Flexineb, a plastic thing that fits over the horse's face and you squirt inhalers in
Perfect! Thank you so much! I have bought a baby spacer, thinking it would be oh so easy, then with the advent of displeasure at Vaseline, I have been wondering how that would go. Shell I PM you with an address and so I can pay you postage?

cauda equina

Visit site
I can't find the wretched thing now!
It turned up last week when I was clearing out a shed, and now it's disappeared again
When it reappears I'll send you a pic

Red-1

Visit site
I can't find the wretched thing now!
It turned up last week when I was clearing out a shed, and now it's disappeared again
When it reappears I'll send you a pic
No worries if it doesn't reappear. I know how infuriating it is when stuff is misplaced! It is very kind of you to think of us.

Red-1

Visit site
Found it!
Will post it today
I pressed like, but really I LOVE!

After just one cough all day yesterday, he just did a burst of them this morning!

The vet wants to leave it a week to see if the Ventipulmin calms it down. My gut feeling is that he will need the inhaler.

Red-1

Visit site
Found it!
Will post it today

It has arrived! Thank you soooo much, it looks like a proper bit of kit! I had already bought a baby spacer and I think duct tape will attach that well enough.

I will see if it fits onto his (admittedly huge) snout this afternoon.

You are so kind.