I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
No time to waste. No Covid reaction, so I have been out, erecting electric fencing.

'Tis done!

He was very excited when I started to mess with fencing on the field. He also certainly remembered what the muzzle is for. He was polite though.
Blimey, Rigsby had a canter!

I only hope I can get him back in now :eek:

162622917_10220111058910729_893614176056826705_n.jpg
163593609_10220111059590746_3809037492439337926_n.jpg

Wishfilly

Visit site
Are you training him to wee on command? How do you do this? (Apologies if I've misunderstood).

Blue is a very shy wee-er, and sometimes we have schooling sessions where he feels stiff/uncomfortable (to the point where I have worried about lameness at times), but he will then do a huge wee in the stable afterwards. It would be great if I could somehow train him to go before being ridden!

Red-1

Visit site
Are you training him to wee on command? How do you do this? (Apologies if I've misunderstood).

Blue is a very shy wee-er, and sometimes we have schooling sessions where he feels stiff/uncomfortable (to the point where I have worried about lameness at times), but he will then do a huge wee in the stable afterwards. It would be great if I could somehow train him to go before being ridden!

Haha, yes, I train them all to wee on command. Really useful when I used to event long distances, no wee in the lorry and no uncomfortable horses. All the Police Horses would wee on command too. Would be quite a sight, 12 horses, still in line, seeing on a verge in the city centre!

Just set it up so they wee in front of you, then whistle as they prepare to wee, and treat after they wee. So with Rigsby, if he had been in the grooming parlour for a while, he would need a wee when he got back to the stable so I would train to the whistle then. He will now wee on the arena before mounting, and also on a hack, on the verge.

I only wish I could train to poo on command into a trug!!!

Wishfilly

Visit site
Haha, yes, I train them all to wee on command. Really useful when I used to event long distances, no wee in the lorry and no uncomfortable horses.

Just set it up so they wee in front of you, then whistle as they prepare to wee, and treat after they wee.

I only wish I could train to poo on command into a trug!!!

I'll definitely try this- although he has never wee'd with me in the stable, so might be a challenge!

Red-1

Visit site
Rigsby and I were out early and we went out for our first canter
1f601.png

No drama, apart from the unfeasible mane
1f602.png

*whispers * I might have entered us for our first dressage next month. Now that might have some drama, the only school that Rigsby has ever been in is mine! So, it will be a big ask, to share a warmup, go into a big, strange arena, with cafe and boards...

Obligatory mane photos!

163040120_10220118180408762_2923481357106598142_n.jpg
163193107_10220118181968801_4213472130036935470_n.jpg
163397649_10220118181168781_859298587727248869_n.jpg

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Very well done to both of you!

Rigsby is very similar to my cob, who I have wondered if she is part Friesian. She also has to watch her weight, although fortunately not quite to the extent that Rigsby does. Her mane is extremely similar - her nickname is 'Amy Winehouse'

Red-1

Visit site
An outing! I'll be waiting for that report ??or?.

I can't believe I just plopped him in for it! I usually prepare, pre-hire the arena, go for group lessons etc. Nope, Riggers will be dragged put of his stable, quick brush and away to his first ever competition!

At least there will be plenty of mane to grab if it all goes whathaveyou-up!

Somehow, with Rigsby, it is fun!

ETA- I have only entered the Intro A, being as we can barely get round the arena in canter yet!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I can't believe I just plopped him in for it! I usually prepare, pre-hire the arena, go for group lessons etc. Nope, Riggers will be dragged put of his stable, quick brush and away to his first ever competition!

At least there will be plenty of mane to grab if it all goes whathaveyou-up!

Somehow, with Rigsby, it is fun!

ETA- I have only entered the Intro A, being as we can barely get round the arena in canter yet!

You've just joined my world ?

Jayzee

Visit site
I have just caught up on this thread, it has really made me smile! I am so happy for you both to have found each other. He's a real credit to you. Looking forward to the comp report!

Red-1

Visit site
The day after the field adventure was a school day. Rigsby was tired. Not lame, thank goodness, but simply not as forward. So, we had a lighter session. Mostly at walk. A little trot. No canter.

The start was all about informing him that, even when tired, forward of the leg is necessary! He needed some flicks! I did some lateral bending, so bending to the inside and outside on the track, without leaving the track. To do this successfully, the forward must be a given, as my legs are attending to the bend. It really shows up where you are really carrying the horse on the leg, when the leg is needed for other things. Hence the flicks. I simply could not carry him when doing other stuff. The exercise served to show up where I was carrying him, despite not doing it intentionally.

The little bit of trot we did was about doing a 25m circle, with 1/4 of it in counter bend. Goodness me, bending one way, the 'correct' way, was a new thing for Rigsby; now I wanted to change the bend at will, whilst he stayed on a circle. It as a tough one, but we did manage. It helped with the 5 minutes of trot, that we had already covered the subject comprehensively in the 15 minutes of walk!

Today, I really, really wanted to go back to the open field for some more wind-in-our-hair trot and canter, but... he was tired after the first time so it was a steady 'recovery' straight line hacking day. I went right back to leading him round the short block, exactly 1 mile. Hopefully that will pay off dividends with schooling tomorrow, and then, if all feels well and up-for-it, we will re-visit the field the day after. Only, the ground may be too hard by then. No matter, Easter holidays are coming so there is time. Slowly and safely is better than rushing.

Rigsby does have a problem...

He is allowed half an hour out in the little paddock with a muzzle. The grass was cut 10 days ago, it isn't too long. Last year, Rigsby used a muzzle. It barely slowed him down. But, this year, he doesn't seem able to eat with it on!

He has tried a variety of techniques. Up and down, trying to fit the grass in the hole. Slamming it round and round, trying to scoop the grass in. Nope, he seems to be a complete failure.

I daren't take it off.

Not sure how Rigsby V muzzle is going to play out TBH.

Red-1

Visit site
Rigsby was 'up for it' schooling again, it added interest when I put 3 double distance trot poles out. He was immediately interested, although disappointed to discover that he was not allowed to eat them...

I was told that the previous owner did once try to jump him, over a log when out. Apparently it didn't work and they never tried it again. A while back, I put one pole out, he wasn't fit enough to do 'pole work' at the time, but I wanted to see if he was psychotic about jumps or if it was just that the one time he tried it, it didn't work. That time he walked and trotted over the single pole just fine, so I felt confident with three.

Rigsby would rather have dived straight in, but we did a reasonable walk warm-up first. He was a lot more resigned to the fact that he had to keep his own workload high. We did leg yielding as well as turns and circles, then walked the poles and he was interested, so we did some trot.

Trot was initially a bit soggy with the steering, so we did some leg yielding and a few shorter strides. It all came together quite nicely, so we headed over to the poles. Well, Rigsby is only 15.1, a cob so short legs for his body, and not that strong, so I had made the distances a bot shorter than 9ft. Nope, the was wrong, poor Riggers almost tripped up. Too close. I did it again in a jig jog trot, then, when that was still too short, got off and opened them out.

Back aboard, Rigsby was still rather confused as to what his legs should do, but he blooming well worked it out. He is ace.

That was it for the day, as I was pleased with the energy and effort. Mr Red is isolating at home, he had glanced out of the window, even he, Rigsby Hater, had to admit he had done well. He is simply becoming more handy. EG, a few weeks ago, we could pretty much do a lap or a large circle and that was it. Today we did large, circles, leg yield, trot poles, a change of rein thrown in, and he is simply keeping on keeping on, doing his best.

I think it helps that I still only ask for 20 minutes of his time and effort. He has self-belief, that he can do what is requested of him. He knows there is a "Good boy!" and celerybration for when he puts in extra effort. He isn't worked until he is sore.

He did almost an hour afterwards in the small paddock. It seemed safe, being as he still doesn't seem to be able to actually eat grass with the muzzle on :rolleyes:.

chaps89

Visit site
Re the muzzle, one of mine is a bit clueless about it. I hand graze him on longer grass until he gets the gist of it then move to hand graze on the shorter/turnout grass and like bits through as necessary.
I've also used an old muzzle where it's worn and the hole is a bit larger just to get them started and used to the idea, maybe worth seeing if you can find a second hand one for this purpose perhaps?

Red-1

Visit site
Re the muzzle, one of mine is a bit clueless about it. I hand graze him on longer grass until he gets the gist of it then move to hand graze on the shorter/turnout grass and like bits through as necessary.
I've also used an old muzzle where it's worn and the hole is a bit larger just to get them started and used to the idea, maybe worth seeing if you can find a second hand one for this purpose perhaps?

He did wear this one last year, for a short time, and the only worry then was that it didn't slow him down enough! He is still having hay and at least he is keen to be caught :p.

Red-1

Visit site
Today we repeated the longer ride to the big field. Riggers was in good form: we met some other horses on the way, he was actually good and paused to chat (when he first came he was rude about standing) so I felt 10ft tall.

We got to the field and, this time, it was too hard for a canter. I decided it would be OK for a short trot though. First photo is going onto the open area.

Knowing that he was previously strong, last time (first time riding in the open, first time cantering on a hack) I had taken all precautions. I only have a dressage saddle fitted to him, but I had put the girth up one and shortened the stirrups one, plus wore his Pelham, so I felt ready for anything. He was keen but perfectly controllable. No pulling. I felt a bit foolish for having taken all the precautions.

This time, he was still perfectly controllable, but I was loose girthed, snaffle bit, looooong stirrups, and he was defo ready to Gooooooo. He is really funny, his trot kept gathering under me and he really wanted to canter off! But, he was easy enough to regulate. The only time he was a bit rude was when I stopped to try to take a photo. It would have been artistic, there was bright sunshine but cotton wool clouds and a daylight moon in the blue sky. With that, against a bright yellow stubble field and black mane/ears, it was well worth photographing.

Well, Rigsby was ready to a'canter, I had asked him to halt and was one handed messing with my phone camera (using both hands on it) and Rigsby was rather rude. I ended up circling. Circling is OK, but an admission that he had blown through my hand. I actually had to pull - hard. How uncouth! 2nd photo is what 'should' have been artistic, but I was busy pulling reins!

So, I stopped messing and did some disciplinary work on stopping and reining back. He was furious. Then stopping and waiting. We did bits and he realised that I was not for giving in, so he acquiesced, and became mannerly again. We had a much politer trot. He was happy, I was happy. :)

He feels quite foot confident, even on the rather hard field. Not so confident on the tarmac, but he is improving.

On the way home he managed his first pee with me mounted, to a whistle. He WAS going to get a good boy and celery, but when he got the good boy and I was messing around trying to locate a treat, the little tyke dived his head down and tried to snatch grass. I really hate that, they can plop you clean over their heads if they dive down... he had his first smack, as opposed to a flick. It would have been a flick, but Rigsby with his head to grass feel a flick? Nah. TBH, he knew. He didn't over-react. He just lifted his head and looked suitable bashful.

Rigsby is fab. A real character. He is out to grass right now (with the muzzle). Time to go fetch him in.

164937581_10220144760993260_1101003740557857870_n.jpg
164903010_10220144761353269_3963971181562575583_n.jpg

Last edited:

Red-1

Visit site
School day and Rigsby was amazing.

I am being stricter about him stepping straight forwards into a marching walk. If he misses it, I am propelling him forwards enough to get a bustling into trot, rather too much for his liking. Consequently, he is picking his skirts up and making sure he stays above the required level of effort!

Did a walk warm up, including leg yield. Then some trot. Then... lesson of the day was standard width trotting poles. Rigsby tried very hard! He picked his little legs up and made best efforts!

I was breathless with the difference in him. I mean, the steering was there, the forward, I could even half halt. HALF HALT!!!! Yesssss!!! It was serving to re-balance him when he dove on his nose and tried to do the stubby cob-trot.

Very pleased with Rigsby today.

165273782_10220151077951180_1314713083281543440_o.jpg
165444418_10220151078391191_1360283618110809815_o.jpg
165211682_10220151078471193_3737443751590984672_o.jpg
165120655_10220151078551195_4526308248230326267_o.jpg
165611313_10220151078991206_3353412761093126728_o.jpg