I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Aww Rigsby! Those splats around his stable look hopeful. He's lucky to have you and Mr Red looking out for him, I'm sure they know when they need help and let us do things that they normally wouldn't tolerate so well.

Squeak

Visit site
Thank you. Looking at my post, the word hope and hopeful appears a lot!

I was sobered that I heard the news that another yard I know, nearby, has had 3 horses hospitalised in the past few weeks, with colic. One hasn't made it. It is a very well run yard, the management will have been faultless. Colic seems so random.

My own vet says that, between my mid-day visit and my 4pm visit, they had 3 more colics come in.

That's terrible. I really hate colic, you can do nothing wrong and still get caught by it. The swings in weather can't be helping any of them and I've certainly added more water to my mashes since hearing about poor Rigsby being ill.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
Aw, thank you, I have felt particularly useless that past 2 days. He is so lovely and I have seemed powerless to help him much. He did really enjoy his massages. By hand but also with the Equlibrium pad and the big thumper one. I actually thing the thumper one did help, it is super-powerful and a real bone shaker. The sort that goes right through your body.

I know the vet is doing the main work, but I like to think that every little halps!
Bedside nursing helps a lot, it keeps a patient's spirits up and is an important part of getting well.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Morning stables brought more good news!

Rigsby is trying to drink! He also tried to walk out of the stable when I was mucking out!

One of the poos was also a bit solid, dare I hope it was the obstruction?

262088151_421575596293428_7850010572033290172_n.jpg

Took him for a walk, he dragged me to the haynet that was there waiting for the baby to be turned out. I would not normally allow a drag, but, TBH, I just let him as it was delightful to see him have an opinion after the blank looks he has been giving.

262114118_1395320604197911_3354914421690754060_n.jpg

I give him 80/20 now, hopefully when the vet comes and feels for an obstruction, it will be even higher.

I have asked that the tube be removed, unless he still has a hard football there. If he wants to drink, it would be better if he could!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Bless his little face - I have only just seen this thread but I am so glad that you are over the worst of it it seems.
You really have had an awful couple of days, so hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel is here!

Red-1

Visit site
Noooo, blockage is still there :-(

It is smaller, mostly soft but with some hard bits.

He has been tubed again and will be re-visited for more at lunchtime.

He is looking brighter and is having 10 minutes out to grass, but with the tube and muzzle, I'm not sure he will actually be eating anything!

Surbie

Visit site
I've just caught up on this and have been reading with lots of 'oh crap!'running through my head.

So so glad that Rigsby is perking up and equally so so sorry there is still blockage. Everything crossed that things keep improving.

Well done for catching it so quickly and also on the husband choice, proper star! You must be exhausted.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Oh no but at least it's smaller and soft, so still going in the right direction. Hopefully the thought of eating grass will help him shift the last bit.

Red-1

Visit site
Back in, was a touch longer than 15 minutes on grass as I had to empty his bed. He doesn't usually eat the rape straw, but he is VERY hungry and I don't trust him, and it would just bung him up again. I don't think he can have eaten much anyway, with the tube and muzzle. It was more to stretch his legs and cheer him up.

Waiting for a shavings delivery. I mean, who wouldn't want to empty a complete bed? Baby horse will need to go mountaineering to get into his bed now tonight.

KEK

Visit site
So sorry to hear Rigsby is unwell, have just read everything :( crossing fingers and toes from here in Australia and sending him good vibes!

Red-1

Visit site
Latest round of massage then walking led to us having a short stroll down the side road.

No small children were scared by this, although a passing lady did look a little perplexed.

Just wanted to add some interest for him.
262199654_290391616431150_4175842893533964025_n.jpg

On the splat front, there has been just one, with no lumps. Hoping the massage then walk will have started some action.

He is a lot brighter though.