I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

chaps89

Visit site
I can only echo the others and say for the amount of food he’s getting, I wouldn’t be worried especially as he seems to be pooping frequently, shows everything is still moving. Also the fact he’s hungry is a good sign given as the initial concern was him not eating.
You’re doing a great job, you must be exhausted by now, really hoping for you that it eases up now

Mum4b

Visit site
Hang in there @Red-1 It’s been a long, emotional, exhausting week for you all, & the lengths you are going to for Rigsby are admirable.
He looks brighter & every poo, however small is heading in the right direction.
I know you must be absolutely spent, but your determination for getting this boy better shines through . I really hope you can continue to tap into the strength that you have shown so far. We are all supporting you guys from afar & wishing you all well xx

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Thank you all. It does help. I am always asking if I could do more/better, but I don't really know how.

I am happy that he will have eaten enough today that he won't need muzzling at night. That will be a relief.

The fact that he trusted me did make me teary at times. That and the fact that he whinnied to the vet when she arrived on Tuesday morning. Hats off to the vet who did the internal whilst laid on the floor too, on Tuesday morning.

The younger vet too, who stayed smiling even when she had blown the liquid into his stomach, turned to speak to me and missed the reflux, which splashed in her face. Smiling all the time. The receptionist who told me that I could just ring for moral support, and who listened to how ace Rigs is.

He has put up with all sorts. The awful pipe in his nose for 2 days, for a start. It did work though, he didn't have a bleed, and he doubtless would have if the pipe had been taken in and out each time.

Mr Red has been ace too.

Team Riggers!

Red-1

Visit site
We're all here for Team Riggers. I'm sure each and everyone of us on this thread are checking back several times a day to see how you are all doing.
Fingers crossed that it won't be too much longer till you and Mr Red can relax a little ? x

Dare I say, I have started to turn a corner. Another poo out, another feed in. 3/4 of an hour, then a walk, then a feed. Re-filling him bit by bit.

Denbob

Visit site
Crikey Red just caught up on this, what a rollercoaster! Echo all the other posters saying just how lucky the gorgeous Rigsby is to have such a dedicated person (/team of people, go Mr Red) in his corner. Keeping all the fingers and toes I have crossed that the upward trend continues and he's back to full health in no time.

Red-1

Visit site
First thing I click on in the morning! Before the news etc!
Me too <3

That is so funny, because when other people have had a poorly horse thread, I have done the same.

He has been out in the field again, in now and before I have even had time to worry, a poo has appeared. Due 3 more feed/hay combos tonight. I feel confident to leave the muzzle off as the shavings aren't palatable now he has something in his tum.

2 more days, then I will find someone who can pop a feed in mid morning on Monday, so I can actually go back to work LOL.

Red-1

Visit site
Was worried by lack of poo at 2.30am, but he had been fed/ mucked out at 10, and once he had a top up of food, he had pooed by 3am. More this morning, so we are still winning.

Sadly, I have been told that the hunt is local today, so he won't be able to do the best for grass. But, I will walk and give hay. Grass now and once it is dark again.

Will rid baby horse early too, presuming hunt will be here at 11. He can spend the day locked in the stable, it is the first time they have been round since he came. I will trust Rigs with his patio, more because he is a bit earthbound to leap the fence from a standstill.

I do wish the hunts still told us when they are around.

Bradsmum

Visit site
Here's hoping for some good sized, normal poos this morning (from Rigsby - lol). Here's to an uneventful weekend Red-1. Cross-posted, glad to hear there is further progress. Good luck with the hunt, hope baby horse just finds it interesting but not exciting.

Red-1

Visit site
263095629_10221630141766851_6151997273920380547_n.jpg

A thing of beauty.
A sculpture!
A poo photo to end all poo photos.
Yes, I promise, no more poo photos!!!
1f923.png

Red-1

Visit site
I am so happy to see it, I wanted to make it my FB cover photo, but Mr Red says no!

BTW, he has been using his new metal detector, bought just to find horseshoes, on the yard today - to check for discarded nails etc from the builders.

He had a 'find' after less than a minute! I was excited initially, as viking coins and jewellery and coins have been found locally. Then I had a closer look....

Not anything as exciting.

Any takers for guess the 'find'?

263285475_10221630346691974_4538048942116958322_n.jpg

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'm so glad Rigsby is pooing and seems to be on the mend. x your love and care for him are phenomenal.

[I've been thinking about you but can't read and keep up with details and post as much support as I would like to because my brain does funny things with colic worry after Granny horse and I end up unnecessarily sitting up all night with my horses if I get it too much in to my silly brain.]

Indy

Visit site
I'm so glad Rigsby is pooing and seems to be on the mend. x your love and care for him are phenomenal.

[I've been thinking about you but can't read and keep up with details and post as much support as I would like to because my brain does funny things with colic worry after Granny horse and I end up unnecessarily sitting up all night with my horses if I get it too much in to my silly brain.]

Funny you should say that, but I try not to dwell on colic posts too. My friend at work mentioned Riggers going through it and I said I don't want to talk about it. It's almost like a tempting of fate

Tarragon

Visit site
Even logged in on a Saturday just to get the latest news, something I never normally do! So pleased to see such a normal pile of poo :)

Surbie

Visit site
Very pleased to see the poo! Post as many as you like - so glad he is recovering strongly.

How was it with the hunt in the end? Did they come close? Is Rigsby looking wistfully at the grass?

Red-1

Visit site
Very pleased to see the poo! Post as many as you like - so glad he is recovering strongly.

How was it with the hunt in the end? Did they come close? Is Rigsby looking wistfully at the grass?

I didn't see them coming down our road, but they were nearby and I had both horses in for 11am. I only hope the lack of movement won't hurt either, although Rigs did still have his patio. He missed second and third times at grass though, and his 2 walks out.

That said, I think I need to cut myself a break now. Mr Red took me to the saddler and bought Rigsby a present. When I queried him buying Rigs a gift, he said it wasn't for Rigsby, it was for me! :p