I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Gave Rigs a trim, was forced to as I was finding tail hairs in his bed where he treading on his own tail! Once he was trimmed, legs clipped and legs and tail washed, as well as well groomed with his feet pristine and painted... well... it was tempting, so I slapped a saddle on and went riding round the block.

Riggler hasn't been ridden since 11 November, except for once in December, but he is a pro. I took his shoes off 2 cycles ago as he didn't have a rider, so he needed a couple of months to re-harden his feet, especially as he is on road planings when turned out.

He was sound as a pound and very proud to be on an outing.

Not the sort of horse who needs lungeing or taking on the school first, in fact, he would be horrified at the prospect ?

274468829_10221993916300987_8882501603951486238_n.jpg

274489407_10221993916420990_2143524321856095817_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
Rigs has still been... retired. Not ridden him recently, but have booked him in for some kids to have a ride in the next holidays so we will have to get some time under saddle before then just to make sure everything is ready.

Some gratuitous photos just because he is a handsome old devil!

275441847_10222048931836341_3288993281171393322_n.jpg
275306869_10222065858379494_614225695658971864_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
He often loses a bit of forelock by standing too close when I tie the haynet up. It gets caught in the knot ?. His forelock goes to the end of his nose. Wild!

Red-1

Visit site
Rigs is fighting fit, back at grass for 2 hours a day now, building up slowly.

He was particularly sprightly looking today, so I threw a saddle on and had a ride. He volunteered a canter!!! I wouldn't usually, as he isn't fit (from memory, he did mum's funeral in summer, paid his respects on 11 November at the church, was ridden once in Feb out hacking, then today) but he was up for it! He just gets on with it, no fuss.

He has been a bit warm, so I have plaited his mane to keep him cool.

He is a cool dude!

Sound too!

275783526_10222085942441583_2872162042365101212_n.jpg
275939985_10222108491005283_5608224467311350747_n.jpg
276085039_10222108491325291_8145389483449675615_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
I sometimes feel a bit guilty, having Rigs doing nothing. He would be happy as someone's happy hacker, would bring a lot of pleasure. Yet, here he is, loafing around doing nothing very much. He does make me smile, is a companion of sorts for baby horse (separate paddocks as he seems to want to duff up the baby!!!) and is just...here. He is welcome, I just feel a little guilty!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I sometimes feel a bit guilty, having Rigs doing nothing. He would be happy as someone's happy hacker, would bring a lot of pleasure. Yet, here he is, loafing around doing nothing very much. He does make me smile, is a companion of sorts for baby horse (separate paddocks as he seems to want to duff up the baby!!!) and is just...here. He is welcome, I just feel a little guilty!

If you think he would be happier doing some work, and he might be simply because more work = more food, then I'm sure you would have your hand bitten off by a number of very good loan homes.

cauda equina

Visit site
He's not doing nothing, he's being the youngster's companion. I think being a companion is often undervalued as a job, but not all horses are good at it.
He has also taken a lot of work by you to get him where he is and it sounds as if he's never going to be a live out until you want to go for a hack type horse, which I guess is what a lot of happy hacker owners would want. It would be so sad if all your good work were undone.
So please don't feel guilty about anything

Red-1

Visit site
If you think he would be happier doing some work, and he might be simply because more work = more food, then I'm sure you would have your hand bitten off by a number of very good loan homes.

No, I don't feel like loaning him out. He has a job here as a companion, even if he is rubbish at it! His main rider emigrated to Spain in January and I now have another horse for myself, that is taking my time.
He's not doing nothing, he's being the youngster's companion. I think being a companion is often undervalued as a job, but not all horses are good at it.
He has also taken a lot of work by you to get him where he is and it sounds as if he's never going to be a live out until you want to go for a hack type horse, which I guess is what a lot of happy hacker owners would want. It would be so sad if all your good work were undone.
So please don't feel guilty about anything

He is a rubbish companion. Is jealous of the baby and kicks/bites. That is why they are on separate turnout. Rigs does have the whole patio so he can go to Baby Horse's back door and pester him. I have put bars up though, as last time they 'groomed' over a door, it took weeks for the cut on Baby Horse to heal up!

He is actually really easy to keep. On a daily basis, he is turned in/out, fed, hooves picked. Once a week he has his legs clipped and washed. Once every 6 weeks, his hooves trimmed. Normal vaccinations/teeth. Nominal hard feed.

Just that for weeks, then slap a saddle on and ride. He is a super horse.

I guess it is because he is fit, sound and up for it, I just think it is a waste.

Bluewaves

Visit site
It does sound like you would like him to have an occasional rider especially as he is in such fine fettle and a great hacker.

Any friends of friends of friends you could ask?

Roxylola

Visit site
No horse stands looking wistfully over their door thinking how if only they'd got a more committed owner (with unlimited funds) they could be aiming for badders or Paris 2024, they don't wonder to themselves what music they could use in the kür or anything of the sort. The idea of wasted potential is a human one. Imo its a societal construct and the root of a lot of human unhappiness. Horses know nothing of what they could be doing, they only know that they're (hopefully) comfortable and content. And if they are comfortable and content they're not wasted.
Maybe you'll find a rider for him, maybe you'd rather not and either is fine, he's happy either way

Birker2020

Visit site
No horse stands looking wistfully over their door thinking how if only they'd got a more committed owner (with unlimited funds) they could be aiming for badders or Paris 2024, they don't wonder to themselves what music they could use in the kür or anything of the sort. The idea of wasted potential is a human one. Imo its a societal construct and the root of a lot of human unhappiness. Horses know nothing of what they could be doing, they only know that they're (hopefully) comfortable and content. And if they are comfortable and content they're not wasted.
Maybe you'll find a rider for him, maybe you'd rather not and either is fine, he's happy either way
Never a truer word my friend.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I do agree with this but I have a horse who most definitely hangs his head over the gate and says "why aren't you riding me? " and it's noticeable that on days when I do, like today, he hangs around the gate wanting a chat instead of wandering off into the field.

It makes me feel guiltily about only having ridden him 6 times since Christmas.

Last edited:

stangs

Visit site
I do agree with this but I have a horse who most definitely hangs his head over the gate and says "why aren't you riding me? " and its noticeable that on days when I do, like today, he hangs around the gate wanting a chat instead of wandering off into the field.

Is that wanting to be ridden or just wanting some affection/attention/enrichment?

Roxylola

Visit site
I do agree with this but I have a horse who most definitely hangs his head over the gate and says "why aren't you riding me? " and its noticeable that on days when I do, like today, he hangs around the gate wanting a chat instead of wandering off into the field.

Yes and to anyone who knows him I follow the "no horse" with "except charlie" He will stand at the field gate watching if I'm teaching in the next field and the other weekend after a challenging flat lesson on the Saturday when he saw me getting Bon's tack out and getting ready to box up for a ride out he left his hay to hang cheerfully over his door as he thought he was going out. I'm pretty sure he's convinced that he just needs to get seen by Ben Hobday and he'd be the next Mulry. That said, in all seriousness I love that he enjoys his job but even he isn't wondering about getting sponsors for badders

However, in this case Rigsby seems pretty content with his life, I think it's more how Red feels about what he "should" be doing