I just have to tell you all about my dad!!!!!!

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
He rode a horse for the first time today aged 66 yrs old!! All I had to offer was a 16.2 TB mare , he went for a 40 min hack with me leading on foot and I think he has the horsey bug!! Go dad!! YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD!!:D

Charem

Visit site
My dad used to event at intermediate level when he was in his late teens, he wanted to be a jockey but by the time he was 20 he was too tall and so went in to engineering and built up his own company to be very successful.

30 and a bit years on he had a sit on his OHs horse who was playing up. He now has his own horse and loves hacking over the South Downs! I keep trying to get him to do a pairs Ht with me but apparently i wouldn't be able to keep up....:rolleyes:

HayleyDL

Visit site
And the prize for dunce of the day goes to me.. I read that as a 66year old horse and wondered how it got so old!

Well done dad!

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
I was hoping this would happen with nt brother, but my friend make him trot before he was ready (his first time on a horse for 10years!) And he felt off balance so he won't get back on one again :(

Awwww that's a shame... My dad was full of confidence and had a couple trots, trouble was I was shattered trying to keep up hehe X

Quantock-cob

Visit site
That's lovely- well done to your Dad.

I got my 19 yr old non horsey son to ride my cob at Christmas - he loved it, but I think he just wanted some "look at me on a horse" photos to impress his female friends on Facebook. :)

Snowysadude

Visit site
Awh well done to your dad! My dad wouldn't go within 100ft of a horse. Shame really as I could do with him liking horses...... He works full time so if he bought one I would "look after" (aka have) it and it would solve all the woes of me loaning another!

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Awh well done to your dad! My dad wouldn't go within 100ft of a horse. Shame really as I could do with him liking horses...... He works full time so if he bought one I would "look after" (aka have) it and it would solve all the woes of me loaning another!

You have hope!! My dad always moans about horses saying they are dangerous at both ends! But suddenly he decides he wants a ride and says he feels safer on one, than on the ground hehe.... i kind of agree with him, after being pushed in nettles all sorts today as his steering was a bit off key! X

Ibblebibble

Visit site
lol go dad:D:D no way i'd let my dad on any of mine, his creaky old bones might spook them:eek::p

now my 92 yr old nan is another matter, she went on the back of my uncles motorbike when she was 90:D i reckon i'd have no trouble getting her to climb aboard one of the horses, although gawd knows how we'd get her down again:eek:

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
lol go dad:D:D no way i'd let my dad on any of mine, his creaky old bones might spook them:eek::p

now my 92 yr old nan is another matter, she went on the back of my uncles motorbike when she was 90:D i reckon i'd have no trouble getting her to climb aboard one of the horses, although gawd knows how we'd get her down again:eek:

hehe

WeedySeaDragon

Visit site
My current total of family I've got riding is standing at three; my mum (aged 60), my niece (aged 5, that wasn't difficult!!) and my OH. I've got my eye on my sister as well but I think my dad would be a step too far, he really doesn't like horses.

Having said that I have convinced him to come to Bramham with us this year so who knows, maybe it'll be an epiphany for him :D

bumblelion

Visit site
I was hoping my OH would catch the bug too but got him on once, lead him around manège, he got a bit cocky, steered away from me, I couldn't get around quick enough, horse took off and my OH fell and we spent the night in a&e due to a broken finger!! He's off horses for life now!

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
I was hoping my OH would catch the bug too but got him on once, lead him around manège, he got a bit cocky, steered away from me, I couldn't get around quick enough, horse took off and my OH fell and we spent the night in a&e due to a broken finger!! He's off horses for life now!

Sorry this made me smile!! Wrong i know... it's just men isn't it, think oh yeah this is easy and want to go solo!!

Pampered Ponies

Visit site
God for your Dad.

Mine shocked me a few years ago at the age of 63 when he had a plod round the school on one of my ex-racers. I was a little dubious as he can be a right monkey - horse not Dad:D After a successful session he said it wasnt as bad as he thought - which was praise from someone who never undterstood my love of riding.

Anyway, this year, whilst staying with friends in California he went out on their ranch and stayed out over night. I think they must have given him their steadiest steed but, hey, it's more ranch riding than I've ever done!

lurcherlu

Visit site
Wow!! The bit about spending all night in a and e for a broken finger made me chuckle too!! If it was one of us we wouldn't even be in the docs lol! My friends pony trod on my foot and it made me physically sick as he then twisted right across the boney bit. Well two weeks on and the chiropractor was out for horses and I told her it was still sore, two cracked bones, a broken one and a crushed knuckle no wonder it still hurt!

sally2008

Visit site
Good for him! Sky's the limit now - a couple of years ago I taught a 66 year old gentleman to ride and he's gone on to lead a 2000 mile ride along one of the old USA cattle trails

Ashleigh_

Visit site
Good for him! Sky's the limit now - a couple of years ago I taught a 66 year old gentleman to ride and he's gone on to lead a 2000 mile ride along one of the old USA cattle trails

Wow, Well done him!! :D

(.. and you for teaching him to ride!)

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Well he was out again today lol.... he can't stand up in the stirrups tho even when holding onto the saddle??? haha he will suss it! Lots of bouncy bouncy trotting today, good job he's only 11 stone!! XX

Wow at some of these stories!! XX