i just lost a foal and gave my mare away to fostering

aregona

Visit site
On saturday my mare gave birth to a beautiful chestnut filly foal. I owned the mare but my friend had put her in foal to breed a good horse and spent many months deciding on the stallion and decided to go with a german breed horse to get the foal she wanted.

''Bambie'' looked perfect. But as time went on we realised that she was not well and called the vet who diagnosed her as brain damaged which they thought was due to a very quick birth resulting in oxygen starvation. We tried for the next 17 hours to help her but at about midnight Bambie left us.
We were both absorlutly deverstated, the little one we had waited for for 11 months had just gone.

I contacted the Nationl Foaling Bank straight away and Johanna linked me up with an orphan foal. Sunday morning we boxed up my mare and Bambie and took them to the stud where the orphan was. The owners of the stud and foal were fantastic. The took care of the whole process. they understood we were happy for the adoption to go ahead but did not want to witness it.
the adoption was a great success. my mare is now out in the field with her new foal and very happy.

Although it was deverstating to loose our foal i must encourage others, if they loose there foal, please contact the N.F.B. It can make such a difference to other foal out there.

The owner of the mare was deversating he lost his mare and had been struggling to look after his foal and work a full time job. He was so greatful and it really helped me cope with loosing the foal to know that we could help another foal have a much better start in life X
4716_96580813884_509953884_2724928_4896785_n.jpg

todd1074

www.thewonderofchins.co.uk
I am so sorry you lost Bambi but well done on helping another foal lead a nrmal life.
It must be a hard thing for you to have done.
My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

kerilli

Visit site
very very sorry that you lost your lovely foal, i'm sitting here in tears, she looks so beautiful in the picture.
congrats for being brave enough to do the right thing with the mare and give another little one the chance of a great start in life.

Ravenwood

Visit site
That story has made me well up - desperately sad for you. It must have been very unpleasant handling the dead foal
frown.gif

But, well done for sending your mare out - happy mare and happy foal
smile.gif

Foxford

Visit site
It was very brave of you to loan your mare out, sorry for the loss of your lovely foal.
As someone who has lost a mare with a foal at foot, I am very grateful that there are people like you around.

DW Team

Visit site
I am sorry to read of your loss and very big hugs at this sad time. THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart and to everyone else who gives mares or foals a second chance. Thank you

Enfys

Visit site
Hi J,

It's Abbi. I read this on FB and haven't had a moment to comment.

It is selfless people like you, and the others, who lend a precious mare out to strangers to save the life of an orphaned foal when you are feeling so low about the loss of your own foal, who really deserve a huge round of applause. It is a very trusting and generous act.

I almost lost a mare to colic after she foaled recently and my Vet had a surrogate mare already volunteered in line. If I had lost Lola I know that I would have been incredibly touched and grateful that anyone would trust their horse to me for months.

Rollin

Visit site
How heartbreaking to lose a foal you have planned for so carefully but so kind and unselfish to help someone else.