I know I'm a Newbie

Fidgety

Visit site
And you don't know me yet and so are probably not interested, but if I don't write this I'll burst :eek:

Only yesterday I wrote that my ambition was to get back in the saddle after a nasty break to my leg in October and today I find I've fulfilled it :D.

When I got to the yard yesterday for daughter to ride, our instructor was there and I said to DD to tell him that if he was still there when I got back from walking the dog, and the pony had behaved herself, I'd just try a little sit and a circuit or two of the school. When I returned from my walk, J said to come up (today) at lunchtime when there was nobody around, no pressure, and for me to ride one of his lesson horses instead of the ginger bouncy pone.

I'm chuffed to pieces that my jodhies were nothing like as tight as I'd feared they would be, though I had to nick daughter's boots and chaps (mine were cut off me).

Left hip is as stiff as *ell, so mounting wasn't exactly elegant and it's quite scary what the equivalent of 4 months box rest can do to a middle aged human body. I've achieved nothing more than walk and a few walk-trot-walk transitions, but I've been left in do doubt that there's no way I can hang up my boots yet. When I turned to look at my instructor during my last trot he was grinning like a loon bless him.

I've had some really dark moments this last few months not knowing if I'd ever either be able (or brave enough) to ride again and if I were able to do cartwheels, I'd be doing them right now! :D

Onwards and upwards!

Fidgety

Visit site
And I bet you were "grinning like a loon" as well! Well done for getting back in the saddle, and like you said....onwards and upwards :)

Grinning like a loon and wiping tears away at the same time! Drove back with the CD turned up and singing my head off! :D

ThreeTB's

Visit site
Well done - you sound thrilled! :D

I'm currently on box rest after a foot operation, so I too am wondering how this middle aged body is going to haul itself back in the saddle, most of my leg muscles have disappeared already :rolleyes:

Fidgety

Visit site
Jumping next week then nicking daughters ponio :)

I nearly said 'not a chance!' (re the jumping again) until I reminded myself that it was during a run through for a stressage test that I hit the deck! :eek:. I think at my age I should be leaving jumping hot-headed ginger pones to the youngsters - but I'll not rule out giving her a run for her money on J's horse :D.

Last edited:

Fidgety

Visit site
Well done - you sound thrilled! :D

I'm currently on box rest after a foot operation, so I too am wondering how this middle aged body is going to haul itself back in the saddle, most of my leg muscles have disappeared already :rolleyes:

I can't tell you (well maybe I don't need to ;)) just how good it felt to be back riding again!

It's amazing just how quickly muscles waste away isn't it, I just wish fitness and suppleness could be built up as quickly as it's lost :(. I've been a cantankerous old baggage this last few months and one thread in particular here (about getting back in the saddle after injury) really helped me focus when I was struggling through physio.

Thank you everybody - SO, whilst pleased for me, just doesn't understand how once horses are in your blood there's no cure, and just how important this day has been for me. :)

dawnpetenathshir

Visit site
Fantastic well done xxx. The first step is the hardest, just don't try running before you can walk. Hope you have loads more days in the saddle xx :D

Sorry Misterjay I didn't read your post before I replied oops

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
Ah that's a fabulous breakthrough - well done indeed! I hope you'll be well into the swing of it in no time.... take your time, go at your pace, and enjoy every moment.
All the best!

LauraWheeler

Visit site
Well done you :D Thats excellent news :D I know how you feel.

After I broke my hip and wrist when a young cob reared and came over on me I spent months worrying if I'd be able to get back on (More than a slight problem as I'm a groom and was sole charge of several hunters at the time ;) ) But 4 months to the day of my axcedent (Naughty as I wasn't ment to walk without crutches for 6 months :eek: :rolleyes: ) I got back on a horse and it felt amazing :D
I hope you continu to build your confidance back up and are back having fun in the saddle real soon :D xx