I know it has been done to death, but..........

mandy4727

Visit site
Soaked oats. Can you feed them to a youngster. I bought a sack about 2 weeks ago to feed my old guy up. But as everyone probably knows, I lost him due to liver failure on Monday. So I have nearly a full bag of oats left. My other horse is a 2 year old filly. And wondered if soaked they would be safe to feed to her. It seems a shame to throw them and they won't keep until summer until someone needs them on our yard. Advise please. Don't want a raving looney of a 2 year old she is bad enough already!!! Or if anyone is in Lancashire and wants them for their horse.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
As far as I'm aware it's a safe diet for youngsters,which is good as I plan on feeding my little Newfie baby the soaked oat once he arrives home
smile.gif
Just feed them alongside alfalfa and you should be fine

Bethxx

filly190

Visit site
Over the years I have fed oats to all of my horses and just mixed them with alfa. They are the most digestable food you can give a horse and fed in the correct amounts do no harm at all.

I dont feed them currently because my horses are doing well this winter, however if the weather comes in and they start to loose condition I will certainly be feeding oats, including my yearling. I have not had any horses that hot up on them, barley has had adverse effects for me.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
They are the most digestable food you can give a horse and fed in the correct amounts do no harm at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well,they're the most digestible cereal you can feed,especially if you soak them....not sure they're the most digestible food source though
tongue.gif