I know it's been asked a thousand times - riding when pregnant

LankyDoodle

Visit site
How long for?

I am 4 weeks now. My horses are both reasonably quiet animals. One of them is 15hh cob and he's settled lately to a creature that doesn't tend to rebel against you - I feel really safe on him. The other is a 17.3hh warmblood, and while he is a calm and gentle sort, quite safe ont he roads etc, I'd not fancy falling from him when I've got a baby growing inside me.

How long did you ride for when pregnant? I should mention that I already have to use a block getting on and off, so am probably going to struggle with that sooner rather than later.

daisybe33

Visit site
Well with my first I evented up to nearly 7 months!! eeeek I wouldn't do it again though. I didn't quite realise what I had at the time and the thought now makes me shudder.

My second son I hacked about until I was uncomfortable ( around 5 months I think) but I think ultimately you will know. You could always lunge etc to keep them ticking over for a while if mounting is an issue.

Good luck xx

michelleice

Visit site
i rode up till 8 months on my last horse, from 6 months + i was walking round school though once a week depends how u feel and how well your horse will behave. horses generally know you are preg some act out some take extra care

Mbronze

www.cheshirehorsetaxi.weebly.com
First of all, congratulations!!

I've never been pregnant but my riding instructor rode basically until she said it got uncomfortable, I think she was about 7mths when she eventually gave in to the bump!! And was back in the saddle two weeks after birth...

angela_l_b

Visit site
Hi there,

I'm still riding - two horses, my 16.1 ISH and my 5 year old 16hh Holstein. Both are mostly good but capable of spooking, so I have the same dilemma! I'm now at 18 weeks but hardly any bump yet so hopefully I can keep going for a while longer. I plan to continue as long as possible... two friends of mine rode unltil 32 weeks - but got to a point they could only walk and canter as trot was too uncomfortable!

Good luck!
A. xxx

Booboos

Visit site
Have a chat with your midwife as well and see what she thinks. I have the impression that falls early on are more dangerous in terms of a miscarriage, whereas later on the foetus is more protected unless you fall on your tummy as such.

Sooty

Visit site
To be fair, a lot of people don't even know they are pregnant at four weeks! I agree with asking your midwife, but generally most people seem to ride until it becomes uncomfortable/worrying. Bear in mind the stronger your pelvic muscles, the harder the birth!
grin.gif

LankyDoodle

Visit site
Thanks guys.
smile.gif
I will speak to my midwife when I get one. I'm not going to go to the GP straight away - I reckon in a week or so.

I did think that actually, Sooty (about the not knowing at 4 weeks).
grin.gif
And I hope to be able to ride until about half way through the pregnancy; but from a safety point of view, wasn't sure. We're going to be hacking for hours every day over Bodmin Moor in 3 weeks' time.

Bring on the weak pelvic muscles I say!

pixiebee

Visit site
I stopped when I was around 19-20 weeks. When the bump became quite visable-the guilt kicked in! I am 34 weeks now and missing riding big time-but I know that in a short while I will be back in the saddle and if I fall off it is only me to to hurt!!! I am very much in the thinking that you need to think about baby first-is continuing riding more important than the litle bean inside your tummy? Its a bit blunt to put it that way but true!
congratulations by the way.

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
i stopped at about 7 months.... because it was uncomfortable, and also because my shift in weight kept making Raff trip...
blush.gif

however, i also didn't ride until i was 14 weeks, as i had some cramping/bleeding early on and my midwife (horse owner herself) told me not to ride until 12-14weeks.

you know your body. just listen to it. and don't do anything you feel uncomfortable with (i have been known to jump off half way round on a hack because it 'didn't feel right'...).

i'm now 33/34 weeks, and am sooooo glad i'm not still riding. i find it hard to get up off the sofa... xx

Hippona

Visit site
Congratulations!!

* chants*....we know what you been doing
blush.gif
tongue.gif

I stopped at about 5 months, although I wasnt riding regularly at that point anyway...

But its what you feel safe/comfy doing and what your MW says is ok for your pregnancy.

Good luck
grin.gif

sundaysmile

Visit site
Hi

I have literally just stopped riding and i am now 7 1/2 months pregnant, nothing to do with my bump more to do with having anemia and get so out of breath it kills to do anything too exerting !!!!!! still lunging and everything else just not sitting on him.....
I competed him at trailblazers at Stoneleigh the other week and was fine althou you could see some people giving me funny looks.

My midwife and my doctor were both supportive of me riding until i felt i couldn't do it anymore as i have ridden daily from a very young age till now (36) and my body and muscles are built from riding their only concern is you falling but in my eyes i'm more likely to fall down some stairs then off my boy.... and i also did it with my 1st baby she's nearly 3 now and theres nothing wrong with her.

Just go with how you feel and good luck
smile.gif

Baileysno1

Visit site
I managed until 27 weeks, we're relocating so went from riding daily to just at weekends because of travelling and was a bit dissapointed at having to stop it just go a bit uncomfy and I found a sharer for len so seemed a logical decision.

Still lunging him mucking out and acting as competition groom its not the same though roll on October 2nd I can't wait to not be pregnant!!!

Do as you feel most of my friends got to 5 months but everyones different.

JLD

Visit site
HI,
congratulations. I posted about this a couple of times in the past few months a now 30 weeks with my first. I would just say listen to your body and head, I stopped jumping and riding in fields as soon as I knew as I knew these were my boys risky times but did prelim dressage to 4 months. after that I just hacked out in walk and trot round the lanes then one day it was quite painful afterwards although I knew it was muscular I felt it was time to stop - that was at 25 weeks. I also started having 'head' issues after 24 weeks once it was viable I dont know why it just felt different to me then and I started to feel more anxious about things going wrong - again a good indicator. I also have a small bump and I think keeping riding kept my stomach muscles firm as it is a very large baby on scan. only down side of this is it is mostly in my ribs now ! I started doing pilates from dvd after I stopped riding to keep my core stability going. Midwives and GP's all vary depending on their experiances - if they dont know horses they mostly have a fit. as I am married to one and my husband was really supportive of me riding to the extent he is happy to walk out with me on a lead rein if I feel the urge to go for a potter I'm not arguing !