I know it's not horsey, anyone keep ducks? We've an ill duck.

Patches

Visit site
My drake is 16 weeks old.

Since Christmas Eve it's been walking around with it's head resting on it's body and it's neck bent...almost like hens do when roosting.

It follows the other four about but just stands there whilst they eat or drink. Flaps it's wings and makes some attempt to preen itself, albeit half-heartedly.

Today I've picked him up again and when holding him, he makes no attempt to hold his head up at all. Just hangs limp. His breathing is a bit noisy and he has some discharge from his nostrils.

I'm assuming a respiratory infection of some sort. Any idea of basic care for him? Do I segregate him and put him under a heat lamp (Although I must admit he doesn't seem cold). To segregate him I will have to close half of the duck house and put the bby chicks and guinea fowl in there as they are still in the growing on shed. Do I risk putting them in there?

Treatment.....we have loads of antibiotics but I'm not sure if any can be given to ducks...and if so what the dosage rate would be.

Pen and Strep
Neopen
Excenel
Tylan

We did have Baytril, which is licensed for use in poultry, but we're out of it.

Any advice would be welcome. Mother thinks it's bird flu and we're all going to die!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Sorry I can't help with the duck but what a positive person your mum is!
tongue.gif

not_with_it

Visit site
I personally wouldnt seperate him. At least he is still walking around whilst he is with his friends and getting exercise.

Poor drake, hope he gets better soon.

Patches

Visit site
Oh yes, she's always been a glass half empty sort of person. Although, in fairness to her, it was more of a "I told you you'd all get bird flu keeping them lot"

Patches

Visit site
Try not to laugh...

I bought the hatching eggs from Ebay (of all places) and hatched him and his four hatch siblings myself in an incubator. They hatched at the beginning of September. He's never been anywhere else and there has been no change in his diet/water source etc.

jemima

Visit site
How are his legs - has he got swollen joints and heat? Is he walking fine?

(I've been tempted to buy hatching eggs too!)

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Is he still drinking? Sounds to me like he's got some sort of respiratory infection, and he's doing what all depressed birds do - mope. Keep him warm and with company if possible. Jabs won't help a virus, just TLC. A vet might be of help, but birds aren't easy. Hope he gets better soon.

Patches

Visit site
Walking about with the others, the other signs of illness are the way he holds his head (just uploading some pics now) and the fact that he is not eating or drinking when others do. He just stands nest to the water trough when they eat. Wags his tail feathers still, although he's not holding his tail up in that happy way ducks do (if you know what I mean).

The eggs...

It was on a whim. I bought the White Campbell Duck eggs and hatched 5 out of 6! Very impressed. Also got 6 guinea fowl and 6 silkie but only had 3 each of those hatch. Quite impressed for how late in the season it was and it being my first attempt. I bought a Corti Semi Auto incubator but added the auto turning bit to it.

Patches

Visit site
No he's not drinking. If I put his beak in water he'll have one mouthful but that's all. Not eating either.

Poor little love. I'm thinking there is some infection though with him being a bit swollen under his chin area and discharge, thick, coming from his nostrils.

Patches

Visit site
Thanks for that Clodagh.

I've registered but am awaiting email confirmation of my password. THere is one story on there that sounds just like my drake. Tylan was the drug used but I can't find out what the dosage rate is for a duck! Grrrrrrr.

We have loads of iccle needles as we've jabbed the guinea pigs in the past. I just need to know how much to give and actually...where the heck do you jab a duck? LOL

Patches

Visit site
Eeeeek.

I don't want to make him worse but I'm not sure our farm vet would like to be called out for a duck on their days off.

Patches

Visit site
Yup. My OH did think he was asking to be sacrificed for the Christmas table.

We don't mind trying to treat him ourselves but as hard hearted farmers, we really can't call the vet out to a duck. Sorry if that sounds mean.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
We took blue budgie and its cage pal in because blue budgie was not well. However, vet decided green budgie needed attention instead (!) and gave it an ivermectin jab for mites - I was treating them already. Budgie had an adverse reaction (staggering about and exhibitng some very odd behaviour indeed) but eventually came round and is fine. We can laugh about it now, but poor thing at the time. Vet said it wasn't suffering but we are all surprised it lived. Not enough meat on it, had it died, even for a butty. Blue budgie no different
crazy.gif
tongue.gif

Think it's one's duty to take sick creatures to the vet if you haven't the bottle to erm, well ...... do the other.
blush.gif

JaneMBE

Visit site
Botulism?
Symptoms: Loss of muscular control of legs, wings and neck - hence the term limberneck. Birds are unable to swallow.
Cause: Toxins produced by bacteria (Clostridia) in decaying animal and vegetable waste. The toxins cause the problem.

I wouldn't eat it, might make you veyr ill ?

JaneMBE

Visit site
from where I found the idea:
Treatment: Avoid problems by keeping ducks out of muddy/dirty areas, and stagnant pools, especially in hot weather. The bacteria multiply rapidly in warmer temperatures in anaerobic conditions (where oxygen is excluded). Give affected birds fresh drinking water. If necessary, introduce water into the mouth and throat with a syringe (no needle). A crop tube could be used with the advice of a vet. Add Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate, available from the High Street Chemist) to the water. This is an old remedy which is still used. Recommended amounts vary from 1 tablespoon in one cup of water to 1 ounce per 50 fluid oz ( two and a half pints) of water.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I see what you mean about his neck, one of mine does that sometimes but i never manage to catch it on the day it doing it so i dont if she has a runny nose! If he is fine in every other way i would wait until the vet is due and mention it, its slightly less embarassing than calling them out to him!
grin.gif

Patches

Visit site
We have a vet quite regularly to the cows so I would normally just say we'd get the vet to look next time he's here.

Problem is, we're not due a vet visit (barring the unforeseen) and I'm afraid I don't think the duck will live that long as he's not drinking or eating (not that I've witnessed anyway).

I was thinking of squirting water down it's throat but I'm not sure what the chances are it'll go into it's stomach or into it's lungs and make it worse....although in theory he's not going to live long at this rate.

I've just seen JavaJane's reply about Botulism.....hmm....there is some mud (well it is winter) in their 1st run (which they walk through to get into their supplementary area), but whilst his neck is like that, he can walk, run and flap his wings, wag his tail etc. It's just his breathing that is rattly.

druid

Visit site
Odd...no suggestions on what it might be except a neck injury which has damaged his windpipe hence the rattly breathing.

I wouldn't put him anywhere near your Guineas and chooks if you think it might be an infection..too easily transferable. Warmth, warm layers mash/soaked pellets and a quiet dark area for a few days I'd say...if he hasn't improved or goes down hill ask Duncan to do the deed so he doesn't starve to death.

Patches

Visit site
Last time I was worried about a chook, it was lame, I asked the vet when he was visiting and he shrugged his shoulders and said "Birds...No idea!!!" He's never even heard of Mareks vaccines! The hen, a gorgeous Light Sussex called Tulip, just got better over time.

Problem is, poor duck's not eating and drinking of it's own accord which worries me. I'd be out there all night with it but hubby keeps saying "it's only a bird". Of course he's right, but it's a bird I hatched myself and I'm quite attached. Doesn't help that it's a drake and I have three drakes and two ducks ... he's already surplus to requirements if you know what I mean!

Anyway fancy a white campbell drake.....lol

Patches

Visit site
Thanks Becky.

It is really weird. If I pick him up he almost looks dead in your arms as he just hangs his head limp and makes no attempt to lift it. Now don't get me wrong, he's not slow on the ground like you'd expect for an ill duck. Catching him is no easier now he's offside! Quick little bugger!

I was going to separate him from the others but in al fairness it's probably too late for that as he's been ill a few days now as it is. He's also quite upset when away from the other four and I don't think it'd help him in some ways (although I accept it might not help the others either).

I have tonics to add to the water and something licensed for use in pigeons for respiratory infections that's also soluble. Doesn't say it can't be given to chooks or ducks though. I'll go and dig the bottle out and see what it's called.

I want to call the vet...hubby want's to turn the stove on! (Joke of course...he doesn't want to eat him really).