I know it's not horsey, anyone keep ducks? We've an ill duck.

Patches

Visit site
I don't think it's botulism reading about it.

There is nothing wrong with his movement, fast on his feet, holds his wings up normally and even attempts to preen himself. At a quick look, he doesn't look that ill. It's just that there is slight swelling around his chin (do they have glands there?) and he's a bit snotty. Not eating and drinking, that latter more so, are main concerns right now.

Poor little soul.

Clodagh

Visit site
Let hubby loose. If you save him you've only got to decide what to do with him! I'm heartless!
I asked our hunt secretary, who is a vet, about one of my chooks that keeps going off her legs and he said a lump of wood would cure it. Nasty man! (Probably fed up with my asking for free consults!!).

Patches

Visit site
Funnily enough, Duncan's idea involved a spade but the result would be the same!
tongue.gif

We've had a chat on the phone to the vets and one of the antibiotics we use on the cows, whilst not licensed for use in ducks, is widely regarded as the best treatment option.

It's like Baytril in reverse..it's not licensed for horses but is for poultry and yet I got given it for Patches post surgery. The drug I've been told to use will in time be licensed for use in poultry (incase anyone takes offence) as apparently there is a widespread immunity to Baytril in poultry and waterfowl as well as Baytril being known to cause secondary yeast infection in treated birds.

Sooo....as we have this drug in, we're giving it a try. We have already been offered a home for our surplus to requirement drakes so it makes sense to try and save him as he'll go into a breeding program at the local free range, hobby poultry/duck farm.