I love my yard owner!

Mrs B

Visit site
We were in the middle of the red warning snowstorm in Devon yesterday and no-one on our yard (which is in the middle of forestry land) can get there this morning - even those with 4x4s, as it rained on top of a foot of snow and has then frozen.

We're all on DIY but we got a message to say not to worry or try to come; she and her daughter look after them all until it thaws enough for us to get there safely ... that's 25 horses, all in boxes.

She is an absolute diamond. :)

Laika

Visit site
What an amazing lady!

Our yard owner has been in and out of her house getting water as our automatic drinkers have frozen! They're all doing their bit to help (I'm also on full DIY) Huge shout out to the amazing Yard Owners!!

Equi

Visit site
My boy got done yesterday and I’m so grateful to them. I’m going to see if I can get up now but if I can’t I know he’s in good hands.

zaminda

Visit site
Mine rang me yesterday, and technically I just rent a field from her, although 2 are currently living at the yard. She is an absolute star, although we all already knew that!

Annagain

Visit site
We've had the same message - our yard is at the top of a steep hill. My friend has made it up, turned the horses out for an hour and mucked out then brought them back in as they were just standing at the gate all miserable. I'm in work at the moment and will go back later to let them out for another leg stretch, muck out and top up. We're both lucky to have Land Rovers but the other girls at the yard aren't quite so lucky. Even other 4x4s aren't getting up there.

Have finally found a way to stop their water freezing. I got a big tubtrug, put a load of haylage in, put a water bucket on top of the haylage and then stuffed more in round the sides. I've only got enough tubtrugs and buckets for one each but at least they have some overnight and we're taking warm water up to them 3 times a day so they're managing to keep hydrated.

LeannePip

Visit site
Mum and I tried to get up the yard this morning but couldn't get out of our road so walked the 7km caught up with YO on the way. Its mainly part livery so we mucked a few out for her until her daughter got there by which time dad had managed to get the truck out and came and got us.

Hexx

Visit site
Mine too!

Only been there 3 weeks and she's looked after my youngster while I've been snowed in for 3 days. Hoping to get up to the yard today with the help of a lift from a friend with a 4x4 - the snow has stopped, but the snow drifts are horrendous and come out of nowhere suddenly covering the road.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
ive come down with a nasty flu bug, am on diy and carried on for a week going to yard twice daily. YO heard from one of the staff that i was unwell so came into the yard on monday morning and told me to go home and stay there and she will sort out horse. she has kept in contact with me and has insisted that i stay home . i have lost almost a stone in 2 weeks i feel very weak and wobbly and dont think i could make it there anyway ... she is a star!!!!!

henmother

Visit site
It's at times like this when we are reminded just how lucky we are . My boy has been snowed in since Thursday . Partly due to snow , partly to cars , oh and a big tractor type vehicle! The roads were too blocked to be even able to park and walk . We've had daily updates , including some hilarious photographs of yard owner trying to clear snow drifts ! Got the all clear for 4x4s on one route , so going to see him today . I know my yo will have cared for him as I would . All liveries , three of us have kept in touch with promises to do each other's horses if needed. Blinkin beast from the east !!

scats

Visit site
ive come down with a nasty flu bug, am on diy and carried on for a week going to yard twice daily. YO heard from one of the staff that i was unwell so came into the yard on monday morning and told me to go home and stay there and she will sort out horse. she has kept in contact with me and has insisted that i stay home . i have lost almost a stone in 2 weeks i feel very weak and wobbly and dont think i could make it there anyway ... she is a star!!!!!

What a lovely YO. I’ve just had that flu bug and doing the horses both ends of the day absolutely killed me. Hope you feel better soon x

windand rain

Visit site
I am the other way round I live about 15 minutes on a normal day so for 2 days this week one of my liveries has been doing the ponies she lives next to the field. we did get there the third day and did all the poo picking but the horses had hay feed and water every day. It was fun out in the wind and sun yesterday for 5 hours catching up with the poo picking I am sure we will have missed a few but not much as the snow had blown off the field and drifted on the ring fence which is outside the grazing area

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
What a lovely YO. I’ve just had that flu bug and doing the horses both ends of the day absolutely killed me. Hope you feel better soon x

thankyou, its the first flu i have had since i was 18(over 50 years ago) so i just kept going. have been indoors since monday and still dont feel i can even walk the dogs, its really horrible feeling so useless. our snow seems to be melting today so hopefully it will be easier for me to get out in the air....