I need a dog

Bradsmum

Visit site
Ranyhyn, Wales goes into lockdown on Friday so I will need to wait until that is over before arranging to see anything outside my area I'm afraid. I did have a quick look on DT website but Aled did not show up. I'm still putting feelers out and will keep in touch with the rescue centre that has carried out the home check in case they have a non-jumper in ;)

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Good luck with your search. Daughter is currently looking for a rescue without success, despite the fact that they have secure fencing, are experienced dog owners and go hiking every weekend.
When the kids were young, I had several dogs from the RSPCA. One the first home visit, the inspector watched my 6 young children playing in the garden and commented, what a wonderful home the dog is going to have here.
15 years later, I was bringing up my orphaned 2 year old grandson. Enquired at a few rescue centres but none were willing to let a dog go to a home with a preschool child. For the first time ever, I bought a puppy. The child needed the unconditional love of a dog, and the dog fell in love with the child. Kindred spirits.

Bradsmum

Visit site
DAMS what a sign of the times.. I'm glad your grandson had such a caring gran that he experienced the companionship of a dog. I'm not anti rescue centres at all and realise that it's a difficult call to let something in your care out but there has to be a bit of common sense. The extra problem of course is that it's difficult to meet both the centre staff and the dogs at the moment.

palo1

Visit site
I was hugely grateful to the Lakeland Trailhound Welfare (via Worcester Animal Rescue Shelter) who let me have a wonderful retired (at 2) fellhound. That was my lovely Bess who came home to two tiny children who had spent time with her at the Shelter. She wasn't entirely straightforward for me but she was a fabulous family dog and I will always be grateful that I was able to have her. There are sensible rescues out there - I so hope you find the right dog soon :)

Moobli

Visit site
I was hugely grateful to the Lakeland Trailhound Welfare (via Worcester Animal Rescue Shelter) who let me have a wonderful retired (at 2) fellhound. That was my lovely Bess who came home to two tiny children who had spent time with her at the Shelter. She wasn't entirely straightforward for me but she was a fabulous family dog and I will always be grateful that I was able to have her. There are sensible rescues out there - I so hope you find the right dog soon :)

I follow the Lakeland Trailhound Rescue and am always falling for one or another. Maybe one day I will rescue one. Bess sounds wonderful ?

palo1

Visit site
I follow the Lakeland Trailhound Rescue and am always falling for one or another. Maybe one day I will rescue one. Bess sounds wonderful ?

Trailhounds/fellhounds are fantastic dogs!! They are similar in 'ease' of temperament to many greyhounds but are more likely to enjoy 'other' activities - such as scent work, obedience, agility etc. I would have another one and may well do one day. They don't ask for very much at all from a home, are pretty rugged in health and are fun to train too. They are very smart looking dogs and have that wonderful quality that hounds tend to :)

palo1

Visit site
Trail hounds look amazing!!

They are brilliant dogs; very little known about sadly and hugely underrated imo. They can be idle as anything as well as superb athletes and have very typical cheerful and friendly hound temperaments. There can be challenges involved with them so possibly not best as first ever dog but for someone with a bit of time and energy (not huge amounts!) they are fabulous. :) For anyone not familiar and considering a medium-large dog here is a great link but beware, the floppy ears and sad eyes will totally suck you in....!! http://www.trailhoundwelfare.org.uk/

Esmae

Visit site
We've been looking for months. Never get a look in. Years ago I adopted a dog (lurcher) from RSPCA kennels. After I filled in the form they said my gate was too low and the dog could jump over. It was a 5 barred field gate. They suggested a small dog which I said would go under and where did that leave us? It all got sorted out somehow when I said that it seemed to me that they expected that the dog would be left unsupervised. I went on to say that surely they wouldn't let any dog go to such a home. The bitch came home with me and was my constant companion for 12 years. The covid situation has made everything infinitely more complicated. It is hugely frustrating.