I need a rider (Kent)! Is this a ridiculous idea?

pixyandsweep

Visit site
I don't post on here very often, but I'm afraid I'm a regular lurker!

Basically, I am at Uni, in Liverpool and my chap is kept in Kent. My plan was to take him up there with me, but what with it being my first year and settling etc, Parents wanted him to stay at home, so was kept ticking over by a friend while I was away. Know that there is a possibility of taking him, it wouldn't be till febuary (exams when I go back) Then in a few weeks is easter, then exams after that. So i don't want to be dragging him across the country for little reason.

I just need him to be hacked, basic schooling if they wanted, but hacking would be fine. So, I compete in the Summer, he just needs to be fitter than he is now.

He is 5 (in may actually) and 17hh/17.1hh but he is as good as gold. I hack him alone/ in company. He can deal with alsorts of traffic/animals etc nothing phases him. Very, very laid back temperment and often he's the one leading the other horses.

Would it be silly to advertise in horse shops, mags, or indeed on here? I just feel more and more cheeky... but he can't be sat in a field at home.

Thank you to anyone who reads, sorry very long post!

Munchkin

www.aloegeneration.co.uk and http
I don't think it's cheeky and someone would jump at the chance to ride him, particularly if you're not asking for a contribution towards his keep. Just make sure any potential rider is thoroughly vetted and has the relevant insurance (or that yours covers them).

Racing_Gal

Visit site
Dont feel checky! Put a note in the local tack shops, I'm sure you'll find someone to ride him. If he is on fully livery and you sont want any money for it people will be queing up. I if were you Id be asking for a small donation to his livery cost in return for ridinghim. Good Luck
smile.gif

Vicki1986

Visit site
plenty of people crying out for nice horses to loan/share/ride.

if you advertise him you will no doubt have your arm bitten off, especially if you require no/low financial contrib.

I needed a little help keeping my mare fit last year and put an ad up on ride my horse. co .uk i think is the address - i only had one phonecall (shes 13.1, adult only ride, so a bit limited) but luckily the lady was absolutely fabulous and stayed with me for a good few months til she got her own. paid £80 a month to cover shoes/etc also.

pixyandsweep

Visit site
Thank you for the replies.
The reason why I feel it's cheeky is because it will only be until the summer, and that he's really not that fit now.

I'm just outside Canterbury.

Sarah B

community.webshots.com
I agree - don't think you are cheeky, and all you need to do is be honest with potential loanees and explain the position. Just make sure - and no doubt you will, you have insurance/contract sorted. Good luck!