I need encouragement

Skib

sites.google.com
The local equestrian centre does bhs stage 1 stable management. Would you reccomend doing this?
I did this course. I also paid for 2 private lessons on how to groom. I needed it to know how to pick up the feet because when I was a little girl and delivery horses came to the gate, my mother rightly told me to keep away from the feet of horses.
I learned how to untack and rug up for free as I needed to do that after my first year lessons.

Yes I would recommend doing the course because the fact that I had done it meant my RI, allowed me to help out on her yard for one afternoon a week. But I also did ground work lessons. Very important.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Brilliant!
Let us know how you get on.

Regarding weight limits my local trekking centre has a limit of 15 stone for complete beginners on a walking-only hack at the moment; my nearest BHS approved school is 14 stone for lessons (& has gone up - it was 13 stone but they recently bought a new horse).
Limits change over time at a given stables , as they get new horses in or the big horse gets older etc etc.
If you can't get lessons yet you could do worse than driving out for one-off holiday treks for now if you can find them. It would be fun and all adds to the 'hours in the saddle'.

Birker2020

Visit site
Hello, welcome.
Have you looked if there is a school in your area with a mechanical horse? The weight limit for those is usually 16 stone. (Not the same, I know but to be going on with & as a help to getting fit.)
The mechanical horse by us is at a RDA place and I was under the illusion it had a max of 16 stone. My friend who is overweight enquired as he was over 16 stone but they said there was no weight limit set at 16 stone so he had a 30 min session on it, think it was £30 he said.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I seem to recall that Cumbrian Heavy Horses have a surprisingly low weight limit but I might be mistaken.

OP, don’t give up! I think it can be difficult to feel welcome and motivated as a man coming to riding in the U.K., but if you are able to find stables to accommodate you then it is such a wonderful skill to have.

JosephJmc

Visit site
I seem to recall that Cumbrian Heavy Horses have a surprisingly low weight limit but I might be mistaken.

OP, don’t give up! I think it can be difficult to feel welcome and motivated as a man coming to riding in the U.K., but if you are able to find stables to accommodate you then it is such a wonderful skill to have.
Thank you for the support. Cumbrian heavy horse has a max of 16 stone. I'm under that so I might give it a look.

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
The mechanical horse by us is at a RDA place and I was under the illusion it had a max of 16 stone. My friend who is overweight enquired as he was over 16 stone but they said there was no weight limit set at 16 stone so he had a 30 min session on it, think it was £30 he said.

Sorry to piggyback off your thread Joseph. Birker I’m in the West Midlands too, could you tell me where the mechanical horse is please? I think, from what you have said on here, you live near ‘ The Ditch’ and if it’s near there it wouldn’t be to far for me. Thank you.

Birker2020

Visit site
Sorry to piggyback off your thread Joseph. Birker I’m in the West Midlands too, could you tell me where the mechanical horse is please? I think, from what you have said on here, you live near ‘ The Ditch’ and if it’s near there it wouldn’t be to far for me. Thank you.
Hi yes.
Its the RDA place in Warwickshire, Lowlands. Its a lovely place, its a RDA centre and a livery yard and competition centre too. I've competed there dressage a couple of times in the past.

I haven't a clue where the Ditch is that you refer to though???

These are the details:

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
Hi yes.
Its the RDA place in Warwickshire, Lowlands. Its a lovely place, its a RDA centre and a livery yard and competition centre too. I've competed there dressage a couple of times in the past.

I haven't a clue where the Ditch is that you refer to though???

These are the details:

Redditch, my friends who live there call it ‘the ditch’. They live near the Red Ditch so maybe that’s why. Thank you for the information about the RDA place, much appreciated.

calder

Visit site
I've enjoyed hearing your story, Joseph. I'm also a big guy, but have been able to ride off and on, depending on time, money, family and other constraints over the years. I'm now over 50 and still a novice despite having had a fair bit of saddle time over the years. I don't mind, as I have no particular goals in mind other than to have fun and to ride better - and I've done a few simple Interdressage tests as a way of benchmarking my progress. All my RIs over the years, with very few exceptions, have been brilliant and very sympathetic to a rather unfit middle-aged bloke trying to make his way in the horsey world.

I rode every week for 2+ years before the pandemic and made good progress - then my lovely lesson horse was retired. They had nothing very suitable for me for some time, but recently acquired a 17.1 Irish draught who is perfect for all ages and sizes. That's the way it goes unless you're going to jump into ownership: that's not on the cards for me anytime soon, but I would maybe share. One thing that blows me away is how much the cost of lessons has increased by over the last few years...

There are problems in being big adult male beginner - clothes have been mentioned, which is particularly a challenge now that most tack shops are internet-only - but it's tremendously rewarding. I hope you can find a way to make it work. I'm also looking to lose weight: riding is a good incentive.

Backtoblack

Visit site
would joining weight watchers help?now you have a reason to loose weight the group support there should help. or pretend you are a jockey i read in clare baldings book m" my animals and other family" that she needed to get her weight down to ride in a race. she ate a slice of mrelon for breakfast black sugarless tea and coffee no sugary drinkds at all or alchohol then a salad minus dressing for luch then a slimmers ready meal for dinner. thats it. she shed pounds.

JosephJmc

Visit site
would joining weight watchers help?now you have a reason to loose weight the group support there should help. or pretend you are a jockey i read in clare baldings book m" my animals and other family" that she needed to get her weight down to ride in a race. she ate a slice of mrelon for breakfast black sugarless tea and coffee no sugary drinkds at all or alchohol then a salad minus dressing for luch then a slimmers ready meal for dinner. thats it. she shed pounds.
I've joined Noom, it's a similar program. Only trouble is I can't get an accurate reading on a scale while I'm at sea. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into what other other professional riders have.

Wizpop

Visit site
Stepney Bank in Newcastle might be a place for you to enquire. It’s a very well run, inner city riding school with, amongst other things, a big indoor school. The staff I have met are really friendly and helpful .

Biscotte

Visit site
I'm 52, a man and have just done my fourth weekly lesson in a class of adult beginners. I'm the only man and the oldest by about 20 years.

It's my daughter's club so I don't feel out of place and I have someone to help me prepare the horse which is nice especially as todays beast was massive and a bit bitey when tacking up.

But it's friendly and everyone is helpful if you ask - it's funny for me being patronised by 12 year olds about girths and the like.

Please give it a go if you can weight wise, it's really good, and I feel a great sense of achievement when you do something you couldn't quite believe you could - in my case comfortable rising trot today!