I need healing vibes for Beans please

Thistle

Visit site
Bloody dog, emergency vets again yesterday evening, showing many of the same symptoms, they'd had a 10 min walk in the field at 6.30pm, temp was around 20 degrees, dogs pootled about sniffing, no hard running. Field is breezy. We sat in the garden and had a G&T, garden mostly in the shade, we had to move chairs to sit in the fading sun. Dogs chilling in the garden with us Beans sat next to Rob's chair, half in the shade. They'd spent all afternoon in the garden, plenty of shade, we're not far from the coast with an easterly breeze so cooler here, had a delivery at 4pm so dogs went into the day kennel which is completely in the shade all afternoon.

7.15/7.30 went to make their food, Beans didn't come in, semi collapsed, shaking and clearly unwell. I was worried about a post surgical infection.

Phoned vet!

8.15 met the vet at the surgery, his temp was over 40 degrees, bloods fairly normal, still slightly anaemic but he did lose a huge amount of blood during surgery. The same nurse was on duty, different vet. It was like ground hog day!

It seems that he somehow had heat stroke, spleen removal dogs are supposed to have difficulty keeping warm, but of course he has to be different! Meloxicam injection to bring his temp down which worked quickly. Back home has a huge drink and then ate his supper.

Another check up this morning. I'm going greyer by the minute and I wish I could shed pounds as fast as my bank account.

Thistle

Visit site
So it seems that my original diagnosis of a post op infection was probably correct, but his bloods yesterday hadn't started to produce white blood cells so infection wasn't picked uo.

His temp spiked which was why a 10 min walk caused heat stroke, being an adrenaline fuelled spaniel he's either bonkers or collapsed (either asleep or unwell) so doesn't give off any gradual clues until it's too late.

His temp was still over 39 degrees today so he's now back on antibiotics and meloxicam and should be ok. We'll possibly go through this as his body learns that his liver needs to take over some of the spleen functions, spleen is also associated with immunity.

He really is a surgery celebrity, lots of staff come through to say hi to him and give him treats!

The good news is that this will be a continuation of his original insurance claim (which has already been paid, thank you Agria insurance) so at least no new excess to pay.

Thistle

Visit site
I'm pleased that I did a huge amount of research about vets when we moved, these vets came out top, and they're my nearest at just over 2 miles away. I joined their waiting list as soon as we exchanged contracts and moved from 154 to 7, then they closed the list and website said no new patients When they hadn't reopened it a week before we moved I phoned them pleading, old Lily needs monthly treatment and with 5 dogs they could see their wages being paid so they took us on as clients. One of the factors was that they have 24/7 cover but it's on call rather than staffing a clinic all night, staff will sleep in if there is a poorly dog in hospital. It's a small independent prectice and the charges are fairly reasonable.

Bradsmum

Visit site
Only just caught up with this. Talk about ups and downs! Hope Beans keeps on the ups now while his body adjusts and you get a break from meeting all the vets, nurses and receptionists at the practice.