I need help!

BallyJ

Visit site
Another what would you do - im in a predicament!

SO... I've broken my leg!

Im gutted but unfortunately will have to sell up and be horseless for a while. I've come to terms with this and know its for the best blah blah blah.

My current horse is a FAB Connie x TB 5yo needs a lady looking to event 90-1m she would thrive BUT she has a sore on her face, not sure what it is and neither is the vet! but obviously im struggling to sell with this, ive drastically reduced her price (think over half what i paid) so 2 options.

1) Put her into schooling/sales livery - try various treatments on her face and offer for sale once sore has cleared up (concerned about mounting livery bills with this one)

or

2) put her on the market for a tiny amount and hope with all my heart the right person comes along looking for a fab little eventing prospect on a budget and willing to look past the sore. During this time my YO will keep her ticking over - not really schooling just walk trot canter to keep weight off.

Please send over any suggestions!

tashcat

Visit site
Can you not just put her on full livery for a few months?

It will probably be cheaper than sales livery, and if you don't feel up to riding even when your leg is better, it will give time for the sore to heal or have a better idea what it is, and you could sell her from there.

TheMule

Visit site
If you really have to sell then you either need to investigate the face further or sell her for peanuts to someone willing to spend the money doing that.
Otherwise, chuck her out on full grass livery for a bit and see what you've got

LMSmith

Visit site
I agree with above. Surely you wont be out of riding forever?

Put your mare on full livery (even if this means shes out of work) and give the sore chance to heal etc.

Once your back on your feet see how you feel and then go from there.

BallyJ

Visit site
it's quite alot of damage - so the current goal is to get me weight bearing again, let alone walking! Sorry for the drip feed!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'd be asking the vet for a referral/that they at least send photos and test results elsewhere if they don't know.

Or sell for a pittance.

Arzada

Visit site
it's quite alot of damage - so the current goal is to get me weight bearing again, let alone walking! Sorry for the drip feed!
What plans did you have for your mare? Were you planning to sell anyway or would you have kept her? If I was keeping the horse (before the broken leg) I would still keep her and look for a retirement livery type yard and explain that's it's for the duration of recovery.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I broke my ankle so am currently sporting full plaster and I am not allowed to weight bare currently for a minimum of 6 weeks.
I own 6 horses, 4 of which are in work. I have a regular rider for one mare, another is ticking over with a lesson for a local girl once a week. I am paying for the other 2 to be ridden twice weekly. Family are helping with daily feeding and routine. It's just one of those things. In your shoes if you can't afford to pay for a rider why not turn the horse away for a couple of months on grass livery. The heat has been extreme so a break would likely be welcomed by the horse. Where there is a will there's a way. Being turned away is not the end of the world for a horse.

Last edited:

mel2

Visit site
Another what would you do - im in a predicament!

SO... I've broken my leg!

Im gutted but unfortunately will have to sell up and be horseless for a while. I've come to terms with this and know its for the best blah blah blah.

My current horse is a FAB Connie x TB 5yo needs a lady looking to event 90-1m she would thrive BUT she has a sore on her face, not sure what it is and neither is the vet! but obviously im struggling to sell with this, ive drastically reduced her price (think over half what i paid) so 2 options.

1) Put her into schooling/sales livery - try various treatments on her face and offer for sale once sore has cleared up (concerned about mounting livery bills with this one)

or

2) put her on the market for a tiny amount and hope with all my heart the right person comes along looking for a fab little eventing prospect on a budget and willing to look past the sore. During this time my YO will keep her ticking over - not really schooling just walk trot canter to keep weight off.

Please send over any suggestions!

Can you not find a part-loaner who can contribute towards costs and also keep your horse fit?

Do you have any pictures of the sore, people here might be able to advise further?

Seems a waste/shame selling your horse just because of a broken leg - I can appreciate it must be debilitating for you, but not worth selling your horse over, surely?

SpringArising

Visit site
Why are people giving OP grief for selling her horse? If she wants to sell, it's because she's obviously decided that's what's best for HER, at this point in her life. Which is no one's business but hers!

Regarding the sore, some pics would be useful. It wouldn't put me off that much.

BallyJ

Visit site
What plans did you have for your mare? Were you planning to sell anyway or would you have kept her? If I was keeping the horse (before the broken leg) I would still keep her and look for a retirement livery type yard and explain that's it's for the duration of recovery.

Was always my plan to sell eventually - more like next year/2!

Not sure how to attach photos here? will have a little play!

Its not huge! less than a 5p coin.

Yasandcrystal - i feel for you! My break is more of a crush (not medical sorry so not sure on lingo) Means no weight bearing for more like 3/4 months which takes us well into winter! just sad to see a mare that loves working and is so good going to waste

TheMule

Visit site
It looks like a sarcoid- has your vet sent pictures to Derek Knottenbelt? That's where I would start, if it is a sarcoid then that's clearly going to have a very negative affect on the value, especially untreated

BallyJ

Visit site
Thanks Guys, in deeper than i thought :(

Will get a new vet out asap then and get things rolling! any idea on detriment to worth of horse?

SpringArising

Visit site
Thanks Guys, in deeper than i thought :(

Will get a new vet out asap then and get things rolling! any idea on detriment to worth of horse?

Agreed that it looks like a sarcoid. It's going to knock a significant amount off her value unfortunately. She looks like a pretty lady!

Shay

Visit site
Yes - looks like a sarcoid.

I'm afraid if it is then she isn't likely to sell. Not at any price. You could try something like horses 4 homes or right horse right home. See if someone will take her as a loan? The problem is if it is a sarcoid the vet bills are going to be very high over her lifetime. You won't get insurance cover for it. You might get someone to take her if you agree to underwrite the vets bills. Or someone might possibly take her for free, but I would worry about what might happen to her in the long term. I'm afraid folk who would knowingly take on a walking and very expensive vet bill are few and far between.

A young rider on yard has a cracking mare on loan to compete who the owner could not sell because of a sarcoid on the upper thigh. The rider pays a nominal fee - and has the care costs - but if another sarcoid arises or the existing one gets worse it will go back to the loaner. You could try an arrangement like that?

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Was always my plan to sell eventually - more like next year/2!

Not sure how to attach photos here? will have a little play!

Its not huge! less than a 5p coin.

Yasandcrystal - i feel for you! My break is more of a crush (not medical sorry so not sure on lingo) Means no weight bearing for more like 3/4 months which takes us well into winter! just sad to see a mare that loves working and is so good going to waste

Oh dear that's a long time, poor you. I am praying I will get a moon boot next week.
Have you tried some medical manuka honey on your mare's sore? It's amazing stuff weirdly doesn't attract flies and you can get a small tube for around £6. I used it on a nasty electric rope cut and it aided healing extremely well.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Please do not put anything on the lump until you have a diagnosis. Manuka honey encourages the formation of granulation tissue and you don't need that.

Personally I think as it stands you need to get a diagnosis first. You may then find someone to take a chance on it not being too problematic or recurrent (depending on said dx) but at a much reduced price as at least they can make an informed decision.
Alternatively you can get it treated- especially if you are insured, though given it's location will likely need to sell with disclosure anyway.

The trouble is that if it is a sarcoid treatment can end up being very expensive, and she'd be uninsurable for that or any future ones for any purchasers.