I need some indestructible buckets!!!

khalswitz

Visit site
So Geoff has a tendency to get a bit excited when eating... he has destroyed three trugs in the last six months, and one of the supposedly unbreakable flexible feed buckets. He just stamps and stamps with his front feed, flings them over the door, and generally batters them. I've just bought two more and one is already totally bent out of shape.

What buckets do you recommend for serial bucket abusers?

warmbloodcrazy

Visit site
I need some too! Myhorse is exactly the same! iv taken to tipping his feed out onto his hay so as to save the bucket but i don't like doing that as i then cant be sure hes eaten it all and he was all sort of supplements in it i need him to eat! He completely squashes his tub trugs flat as a pancake.. iv even put them inside a tyre and he still manages it and even squished the tyre! Cheey wotsits..

Goldenstar

Visit site
Tyre rubber buckets , kanguro brand are the ones I get they are brilliant more expensive to buy but they last years and years they eventually wear out from a mixture of uv damage and scrubbing .
Google them I think my last ones came from milbury hill

MissChaos

Visit site
Sadly they are not - though our big boy only destroys about 2 a year now (a a yougster he went through a bucket a week!!

Seconded - took my boy about a fortnight!

OP, don't know if you were using the actual Tubtrugs brand but they're the only ones mine hasn't trashed or that haven't given out in some other way. All the other brands and types have bitten the dust. If it was a Tubtrug, my boy takes his hat off to Geoff (and I'd appreciate it if Geoff could keep any tips to himself ;) )...

Goldenstar

Visit site

OP, don't know if you were using the actual Tubtrugs brand but they're the only ones mine hasn't trashed or that haven't given out in some other way. All the other brands and types have bitten the dust. If it was a Tubtrug, my boy takes his hat off to Geoff (and I'd appreciate it if Geoff could keep any tips to himself ;) )...

I also found them useless

khalswitz

Visit site
Tyre rubber buckets , kanguro brand are the ones I get they are brilliant more expensive to buy but they last years and years they eventually wear out from a mixture of uv damage and scrubbing .
Google them I think my last ones came from milbury hill

Will take a look - thank you!!!

Yes, he's killed three actual branded Tubtrugs since January, as well as one of these ( http://www.robinsonsequestrian.com/stable-yard/feedroom/buckets-mangers/flexible-feed-bucket.html ) which are supposed to be hard to break... he's now just demolished a B&Q rubber trig within a week and is on the second one!!!

He is a very excitable eater - it isn't just stamping but proper striking the bucket, foot often ends up in bucket and madness generally ensues... he also kicks out with one or both hind legs as well and I have to angle him with his feed bucket or else he takes chunks out of the wall! Once he's halfway through he does settle down, but he's just so excited...

Thanks for all the suggestions, will get looking and hopefully end up with a bucket that last longer than a month or two!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I wish I could find some of the 'indestructible buckets' made from vulcanite I bought back in 1982 when I had a bucket destroying pony. I got them at an agricultural merchants and they were £10 each back then and gave a 12 month guarantee with them. I still have then now, they have been used every day and are still undamaged.

Last edited:

khalswitz

Visit site
I wish I could find some of the 'indestructible buckets' made from a hard vulcanised material I bought back in 1982 when I had a bucket destroying pony. I got them at an agricultural merchants and they were £10 each back then and gave a 12 month guarantee with them. I still have then now, they have been used every day and are still undamaged.

My old riding school instructor had loads of them when I was a kid, but there don't seem to be many about these days - tack shops are all full of trug types or plain plastic buckets (which last half a microsecond, way worse than the trugs for us). I had a look at weighted farm buckets, heavy duty plastic ones that I could set into my stable, but thought if he destroyed one of them it would be a lot of money to waste!!!

Boulty

Visit site
The shallow black tyre rubber ones. They may get split a little over time but they are very very hard to totally kill (think RS I used to work at had some that were going on 10+ years old that were used about 4 times a day every day and took some hammer).

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
If he's that bad I'd be tempted to buy an old Belfast sink off E bay and pop it on the floor in the corner and tip his food from the bucket into that. It can still be moved if you change yards..

As for the rubber tyre shallow buckets, they're great and mine have just worn out after seven years, but i did have a horse break one in he first week - tipped it up and stomped on it!

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
If he's that bad I'd be tempted to buy an old Belfast sink off E bay and pop it on the floor in the corner and tip his food from the bucket into that. It can still be moved if you change yards..

I looked after a horse who broke it's fetlock on a Belfast sink .

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Black rubber skips have survived for years with our heavyweight cobs. Despite being trodden on, thrown and turned inside out!

Fides

Visit site
Put the bucket inside a tractor/van tyre - problem solved :) just make sure the tyre is tall enough so the bucket only just fits.

khalswitz

Visit site
Put the bucket inside a tractor/van tyre - problem solved :) just make sure the tyre is tall enough so the bucket only just fits.

I do this with his water bucket, but since he has a tendency to stick his foot in his bucket I'm not convinced he couldn't find a way to get stuck in a tyre around his feed bucket!!!

Stop putting buckets on the floor and get them nailed to the wall or use over the door buckets and screw the fittings on well

I've not tried screwing to the wall, but being at livery I'd have to check this was ok... the over-door ones we have tried, but these get picked up and knocked over the door...

He is a menace!!!

Beausmate

Visit site
I have a bucket-trasher. He's better now he's getting on a bit, but he still kills the odd one. Kanguru skips last ages, I've got some that are several years old, although he has managed to tear the smaller ones. I used to just tip his feed out onto the ground. Saves money and he can't get his foot caught in anything. Bloody horses!

Fides

Visit site
Badminton Hi-fibre complete can be fed from the floor - it's big chunky nuggets. Has linseed, prebiotic and probiotic as well as all the vits and mins and is high in fibre with no cereals :)

Fides

Visit site
Because of clicking on the links of the buckets I am no longer getting pictures of that godawful hello kitty ring coming up. THANKYOU!