i need to hear good things about big horses, 17hh+

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't get anything over 16.1hh had a few liveries in the past but their feedback was prob not want your looking for so won't divulge. Each to their own really.........

catembi

Visit site
My best two horses have been 17hh. I'm 5 ft 1 & 48kg for reference. There was the late, great Catembi (in avatar) whom I jumped up to 1 m 15 BS & we got 9 or 10 BD points. 690kg of ISH and attitude. The current incumbent is Thor, 625kg of TB, destined for great things until overtaken by PSSM.

I love the swinging, athletic stride & how the jumps look smaller. I was doing gridwork on Cat once & was thinking, FFS, put them up a bit! The lesson finished, I got off to inspect the jumps & the last oxer was 1 m 25...! I am also quite wet, so there was no way I'd have taken it on in a gung ho manner if I'd realised how big it was!

Drawbacks...I had to buy a bigger mounting block, be careful not to drop anything out hacking as I had no prayer of mounting from the ground & my rugging technique is short run-up & throw! You will get through a LOT of hay. A 3.5 ton is also a bit of a squeeze.

Another bonus - you can often get 7ft rugs cheap in the sale as they tend to be left over!

Cat was sold to me as '16.3', presumably as everyone is put off by the 17hh thing, so sometimes you can get a really good horse if you don't mind going bigger.

daffy44

Visit site
I've had several 17hh and over, the horse in my avatar is 18hh, but he wears 6ft 6 rugs, 24" dressage girth, and bog standard full size bridle/headcollars, he doesnt require anything out of the ordinary in terms of feed, hay or lorries. I'm 5ft8 but with long legs, so big horses suit me well, but as I frequently buy foals I dont have that much choice in what size they end up.

Lexi 123

Visit site
I know horse that are 16+ hands and were ridden to there late 20s and have very little problems . So I actually don’t believe the theory that pony age better because I know some pony that are in there last teens and are lame and need to be retired.

lme

Visit site
I much prefer 17h plus. Usually lots of horse in front of you, more reaction time and they tend to cost less than a similar 16:2.

Annagain

Visit site
Wiggy, my current horse is the smallest I've had since I was an adult. He's a chunky 16.2. Archie was 16.3 and Monty 17hh, both chunks. Charlie was 16.1 when I bought him at 6 and over 17hh when I sold him at 8. He was the only one things didn't work out with and that was nobody's fault, we just weren't a good match and his size was never the problem.

Wig and Mont are (were in M's case), the gentlest horses you could ever want to meet. Real gentlemen on the ground and to ride and even if something has upset them, they keep it all inside. Arch has his thuggish moments when he uses his sheer weight against you but only ever on the ground and usually only when something has upset him. He's never nasty and is the only horse who has nudged me to get me up after I've fallen off him. He tripped cantering through a stubble field and I came off, he was very worried about me (I was fine). Like others have said, you know they're going to spook before they do - sharp isn't a description I'd ever use for any of them, even Charlie.

Arch is like a puppy when he's not being a thug, if he hears my voice, he's at the gate in seconds (getting Wig out of the field without him isn't the easiest!) and he's really affectionate - more so since he retired. If I'm feeling a bit down, he's the one I go to for a cwtch, he really senses my emotions better than any other horse I've had.

ihatework

Visit site
In my experience, and this is of course a generalisation and therefore not applicable to all, but bigger 17+ seem to be very kind souls and less easy to fall off a smaller equivalent.

But, I do find the bigger horses are less easy to get and keep fit/strong and are more prone to wind and soundness issues. I tend to prefer under 17hh, ideally 16.1/2 for sport. And just more expensive to keep!

Birker2020

Visit site
I’ve just recently got a new horse who is 17.2hh. She’s fantastic and the right horse for me but so many people seem to be telling me how dreadful large horses are!

I’m starting to fee a bit down about it, so I’d love to hear some really positive stories from those of you who have large horses!
I've always had large horses, between 16.3hh - 17.1hh. I prefer warmbloods and I feel very underhorsed on anything less than 16.2hh.
I am tall- 5ft 10" so need something big especially as I've put on weight too, although I'm trying to work on that!

exracehorse

Visit site
I’ve just recently got a new horse who is 17.2hh. She’s fantastic and the right horse for me but so many people seem to be telling me how dreadful large horses are!

I’m starting to fee a bit down about it, so I’d love to hear some really positive stories from those of you who have large horses!
Dreadful in what way ?

Birker2020

Visit site
Dreadful in what way ?
I believe the bigger the horse the more predisposed to joint issues.
This is partly because a lot of large, bigger framed horses have been pushed too hard when young and their growth plates are not finished forming so damage is done which increases over the years.
This is only a generalisation although you get issues with small framed horses too, I think the larger the horse the more the risk of early arthritis.

Last edited:

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I don’t understand the negativity?

Big horses are lovely. Small horses are also lovely. There are pros to both, and cons with all horses.

In general, I find bigger horses easier to ride, smaller horses easier on the ground. Bigger horses are often more versatile for sport. Smaller horses are easier to travel. Bigger horses are often kind, more solid and dependable types. Smaller horses might be slightly less prone to wear and tear but no horse is perfect in that regard. Bigger horses feel slower and I feel like I have more time in the stride, smaller horses feel whizzier and lighter. There really isn’t a right or a wrong, it’s entirely down to what the job is, and what you want out of a horse.

ETA, I will say that an acquaintance’s shire filly who exceeded 18h at 3 did take out a wall of their listed barn scratching her bottom 🤣 but frankly, I thought she was hilarious. (I suppose it wasn’t my wall!)

lottiepony

Visit site
I love horsey generalisations they really make me laugh.

I own a 17hh part bred Arab - would certainly not be every ones cup of tea lol!!
Complete money pit but came out the other side, a horse I really enjoy and am obsessed with, who has taught me the most in my horsey career so far.
He is very light of bone so I don't think he 'feels' like a big horse, besides you soon get used to the size, anything else now seems pony like lol!
Photo as his saving grace is his looks!

Attachments

• DSC_7095.JPG
    DSC_7095.JPG
    833.4 KB · Views: 20

Titchy Pony

Visit site
Enjoying this thread, as it looks like I'll be going from pony squishing to 'pea on a drum' mode for the next couple of years. Luckily, Enormosaurus doesn't belong to me, so she can eat and poo as much as she wants, it's not my problem! I just ride. I won't be getting on from the ground any time soon though.

mug

Visit site
The fences look smaller from up there and there is a lot more horse to catch you should anything not go to plan!

I feel much safer and more secure on my 16.3 than my previous 15h.

Visit site
I’m 16 and at the age of 13-14 I was riding 20hh+ shires that had only been used for breeding and hadn’t been ridden in years they were the sweetest mares going and fantastic to have a plod around on large horses are high off the ground but with the right temperament they’re gentle giants I would love to go buy a bigger horse then what I have so I had a pony and a large horse but don’t have the finances at the moment but if I had to choose most of the larger horses I’ve ridden have been calmer then the 12.2hh welshies. The welshie I ride at the moment is more psychotic then the 21hh+ shire at the same yard who is a recently gelded or still a stallion and is only around 5 and he is ridden and loves cuddles and has been easier for his owner to train then her connies and dales because most of the time he is super laid back only downside of their size is the loud bang you hear when they’re moving

AthenesOwl

Visit site
This thread is convincing me that when I eventually start going horse shopping, I should consider extending the height range I look at upwards. I had been thinking that for a first horse, I shouldn’t go for anything too large, but I do love big horses, so why not?!

Cragrat

Visit site
My homebred TB lad is 17hh (ish, probably a bit more) now 20, and just starting to get a bit arthriticy, (currently managed with Bozmerix) and still competing. He has an extemely straight hind leg which probaly hasn't helped, but he has been barefoot his entire life. I do very little trotting on roads. He eats a moderate amount of hay, and largish bucket feeds ( I wish it was other way round!).

He has the most amazing paces - his canter in particular is like a magic carpet ride. Even though he is very short (6'3" rugs), you feel no jump is too wide. He just reaches out his humungous shoulder. A breastplate is vital! He is also surprisingly agile and maneuverable. He has rarely been out of work, and never through anything his fault.

You said your new lad is the right horse for you, so crack on and enjoy him!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I am going horse shopping next year (amazed hubby has excepted it since the last outburst a few years back)

I am 5 ft 8 and will look for another 16.1hh not only do I prefer looking at my horse without a neck ache but many other reasons I prefer this height,

and it doesn't the yard, I know many shorter than me that prefer bigger, as they say in France chacun à son goût.

it's exiting but sad too for my Id mare who was going to be my next horse for sponsored rides etc but doubt very much that will happen now.

Fourtoomany

Visit site
Dreadful in what way ?

I think it’s a number of things including keeping them sound and the amount of work that goes into muscling them up and fittening them correctly, which was not something I wasn’t already fully aware of!

She’s a WB and is pretty green for her age (7) but was left to mature properly due to her height. I guess sometimes people want you to fail due to their own lack of success, but I’ve just found it pretty disheartening. I lost my last horse in a terrible field accident not too long ago and was looking for a while. Initially I didn’t want anything over 17hh, but it seems you overlook some quality horses when you really limit yourself.

Fourtoomany

Visit site
I love horsey generalisations they really make me laugh.

I own a 17hh part bred Arab - would certainly not be every ones cup of tea lol!!
Complete money pit but came out the other side, a horse I really enjoy and am obsessed with, who has taught me the most in my horsey career so far.
He is very light of bone so I don't think he 'feels' like a big horse, besides you soon get used to the size, anything else now seems pony like lol!
Photo as his saving grace is his looks!
He looks lovely. You’ve obviously put an incredible amount of emotional and financial energy into making him what he is. Sounds like it’s really been worth it!

Fourtoomany

Visit site
I’m 16 and at the age of 13-14 I was riding 20hh+ shires that had only been used for breeding and hadn’t been ridden in years they were the sweetest mares going and fantastic to have a plod around on large horses are high off the ground but with the right temperament they’re gentle giants I would love to go buy a bigger horse then what I have so I had a pony and a large horse but don’t have the finances at the moment but if I had to choose most of the larger horses I’ve ridden have been calmer then the 12.2hh welshies. The welshie I ride at the moment is more psychotic then the 21hh+ shire at the same yard who is a recently gelded or still a stallion and is only around 5 and he is ridden and loves cuddles and has been easier for his owner to train then her connies and dales because most of the time he is super laid back only downside of their size is the loud bang you hear when they’re moving

That really is something!! Makes mine look like a dwarf 😮