I never knew chosing a stable was so hard

not_with_it

Visit site
I am currently on the lookout for a new yard but there is nothing in the area so it looks like we may have to stay put for another winter.:mad:

The main yard which are brick stables.
Close to the school, muck heap and taps
Stables leak
Have to go through one stable to get to the other
Floor is uneven
All my stuff is in the feed room with everyone elses.

Round the back there is the barn which has 4 large stables.
They are bigger stables, each has its own door
Dirt floors, no hard standing
I would be able to keep all my stuff together just outside.
The downside is I would have to carry my water from the main yard round the back and the same with my muck.
They are also quite exposed
I would have to walk further to my field and the school.

I just dont know what to do. I am seriously considering moving into the barn to get away from everyone. Im am just so fed up with the goings on at the minute I just want to be left alone. I just dont want to move and give up my stables and regret it.

Which would you chose?

not_with_it

Visit site
Believe me, I have been to every yard in the area. The ones which have space have no school and the rest have no turnout in winter.:(

Im not even being that picky. I just need a yard with a good school surface and all year turnout.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Im am just so fed up with the goings on at the minute I just want to be left alone.

I would move, I'd rather have a bit more physical work but less stress. ;) I'd put some stable mats down and buy my own wheelbarrow. I'd also get one of those water barrels (Robinsons always had them) because it is easier to push a barrel in a wheelbarrow than it is to carry waterbuckets (especially when it's cold and you don't want to splash your legs).

not_with_it

Visit site
I would move, I'd rather have a bit more physical work but less stress. ;) I'd put some stable mats down and buy my own wheelbarrow. I'd also get one of those water barrels (Robinsons always had them) because it is easier to push a barrel in a wheelbarrow than it is to carry waterbuckets (especially when it's cold and you don't want to splash your legs).

Thanks, I already have all the equipment but would invest in a bigger wheelbarrow so I could do it in 1 trip.:D

juliette

Visit site
Could you move to the barn and then put some road planings down in your stable, crush them and then put rubber matting on top? I have this surface in my field shelter and it is great. Had a winter with rubber matting on ground and by mid winter the floor was extremely bumpy - bit like a roller coaster track! Made sweeping a nightmare!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

MizzPurpleKitten

Visit site
Where in Yorkshire are you? If you're anywhere near Leeds/Bradford I can probably suggest a few yards that don't advertise that you may not have tried.

not_with_it

Visit site
tbh the dirt floor really doesnt bother me. I would just fill it with straw and hopefully the floor will soak up the wee rather than the straw.:D
I was thinking more for the farrier.

dingle12

Visit site
Why dont you move to that yard i told you about and have it on your own ( one behind your house ) then hack to the school up the road if and when you need it. Cannot remember yard name but the one past the station pub :) :) failing that call into Jo;s diner think the yard she is on is taking liverys and has a school but not 100%

not_with_it

Visit site
Where in Yorkshire are you? If you're anywhere near Leeds/Bradford I can probably suggest a few yards that don't advertise that you may not have tried.

Im Wake/Hudds/Barns border. If anyone wants to open a decent yard in this area you would always be full!

I cant travel any further out because of my job

not_with_it

Visit site
Why dont you move to that yard i told you about and have it on your own ( one behind your house ) then hack to the school up the road if and when you need it. Cannot remember yard name but the one past the station pub :) :) failing that call into Jo;s diner think the yard she is on is taking liverys and has a school but not 100%

Its not possible with the hours that I work.
Where abouts is she? Thought she was at Clairs.

Paddy Irish

Visit site
I'd go with the barn , leaking stables - yuk , if you're not worried about the dirt floor - I wouldn't be - the farrier could surely shoe your horse tied up ( or held ) in the main yard - it's not like he's coming every week. Ok so the school and turnout are a bit further away but hey look on the bright side you've got piece and quiet and the walk'll do you both good! A bit more exposed? Does this mean a gale blows through or just a little more ventilation - you may just need to invest in a slightly warmer stable rug for the winter...just my two pennith worth....

not_with_it

Visit site
A bit more exposed? Does this mean a gale blows through or just a little more ventilation - you may just need to invest in a slightly warmer stable rug for the winter...just my two pennith worth....

Think open barn. The only wall up to the roof is the one at the back and along the sides of the stables. the rest is exposed but the front of the barn is used to store hay and straw so there is a wind break. It is quite sheltered but it does blow in when it snows.

dingle12

Visit site
Think its ossett not 100% sure call in she may know somewhere not been at clairs for a few months now. Also someone told me Billy Platts has a bigger arena now may be worth trying him or try Andreas again.

Paddy Irish

Visit site
If the stables are bigger though will he beable to move around more? It's adifficult one - no one wants to have to stand in a draught , but on the other hand nor do they want to get pi** wet through if the roof leaks. I take it the sides of the stable go up so far - if not how are the boxes divided?

not_with_it

Visit site
If the stables are bigger though will he beable to move around more? It's adifficult one - no one wants to have to stand in a draught , but on the other hand nor do they want to get pi** wet through if the roof leaks. I take it the sides of the stable go up so far - if not how are the boxes divided?

The 2 that are available are the middle 2 and the hay is stacked infront of them so they are pretty sheltered. Im going to measure them to see how much bigger they are. Im not sure if they just look so big because they are so open. They will both be well rugged so wont get cold. I also have a feeling there will be less turnout this winter so the bigger stables will be better for them.

Dingle - Dont like Billy's. They are all turned out together n he used to charge extra for using the school.