I promise my horse is sane enough for him to ride.

Cat&Mouse

Visit site
This is all ifs, buts & maybes but bear with me please.

If my other half gets offered this new job we will possibly be moving as house goes with it, but have no idea of situation for horse at the moment.

If I move my mare I won't take the 2 family pets they will stay at mums so I would need a companion. Talking to a friend she offers me her 16.2hh TBx 19years old but plenty of life fantastic horse which I hunted last season. Great problem solved? But I would now have 2 older but not past it yet horses to keep ticking over in a new area with nobody to ride out with. Que bright idea I think, why not teach my OH to ride my mare!

He has ridden in the past but nothing much, he has a great interest in the horses & helps an awfull lot so I think he would enjoy it rather than staying at home mucking out whilst I ride :D (SOOOOOOOO Lucky)

She is a 15.3hh chestnut Mare has the most gentle nature out on the ground but has got a very cheeky side when being ridden, but only with me she knows what she can get away with & sees it as a bit of fun pretending there are monsters in the hedge & trying to scuttle home as quickly as possible. Also the odd crafty buck. I have seen novices ride her before I had her & she was a complete lamb, lets face it I would not be suggesting my OH gets on a dangerous horse after all if he gets hurt I lose my groom ;):D:

The trouble is OH has seen this cheekiness with his own eyes & is now pretty scared of her & is convinced she will be like this with him. It sounds horrible but I have never been a nervous rider & I don't know how to approach this?

Sorry for rambling on!

PurplePickle

www.ipcmedia.com
can he ride your mare instead? I dont think you can force a novice to ride something hes nervous of as it will transfer. Im lucky my OH has no fear although a novice he will get on and do anything with anything lol

Can you get something else a bit more ploddy for him?

Cat&Mouse

Visit site
Sorry thought I had put that it was my mare I intended to put him on, no way I would put him on friends 16.5hh TBx gelding who is really not that sane!

The trouble is I don't know anyone with a big enough confidence boosting horse to get hime started & def can not afford another one & genuine confidence boosting horses have a very large price tag usually. Frustrating really as my mare is but she has a quirky side with more confident riders if that makes sense.

PurplePickle

www.ipcmedia.com
sorry I read it wrong going back i get it lol

Dont really know what to say, maybe he could have lessons to feel more confident before trying her, or could you get a sharer for her instead?

Sparkles

Visit site
Or could you not offer a home for a horse to have on loan for him to learn on that's a quiet dope ona rope type? Or is the whole point in this so you can have your friends horse you really like?

Sorry, not meaning to sound dumb ><

Cat&Mouse

Visit site
Reason for having friends horse is to help her out aswell really, she needs him to go on loan but wants him to go someone the horse & she knows. Also my mare is 22 but could do a few very low key events, friends horse is still fit enough to hunt & event so I would love to have a horse to do that with but will not & do not want to cast my mare aside.

I have been looking for 2 years for a dope on a rope but not found anything for loan that is big enough.

Kat

Visit site
Send him off to a riding school to get him started, then when he is feeling a bit braver take your mare down for him to ride in a lesson before he hacks her out.

Sparklet

Visit site
Sounds like the horse is for you rather than your other half......if you want another horse go with your friends horse, if you want one for your other half find one suitable for him. It doesnt seem fair to find something that meets your needs but not his but then expect him to accept that.

Cat&Mouse

Visit site
He doesn't want to go to a riding school I have tried that one, if he hadn't seen her play up acouple of times he would jump on no problem! I won't push him just wondered if any of you had any ideas.

Sparklett I have been searching for one to give him some confidence but I haven't been able to find anything suitable.