I realized this week that I don't "bounce" anymore!

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
I was trying out my potential ned over some jumps (just 2'- 2'6") on Friday and came off when he popped one in and over jumped it. I landed hard and crunched my already wonky proplasped disc back as I hit the ground. Needless to say, I was in bed all weekend pumped up on pain killers and missed the Midlands meet-up!!!
mad.gif

Anyways, I came to the realization that I don't bounce as well as I did when I was 15 and although my body is only 33, due to arthritis, prolasped discs and other back complaints, that I have to give up jumping. My body just can't handle it anymore.

My husband doesn't want me to risk it anymore either so I think that I'm going to venture into the dressage world with my new ned as he has a wonderful trot and goes on the bit beautifully. There is a stable down the lane from me that specializes in dressage and they have dressage shows almost every week in the spring and summer. May try Ben in some walk/trot ones next year to see how we get on!

I know you can fall off on the flat (goodness knows I've done it) but the risk is less and not as high up! The dressage will help Ben's side saddle training as well and will build up his topline too (which is sadly lacking).

I'll miss jumping but looking forward to being a Dressage Diva
laugh.gif

angiebaby

Visit site
Same thing happend to me a few months ago; except I'm a lot older than you and I definately don't bounce at all!!
ooo.gif

I have just started doing some dressage on my Welshie, and tbh I didn't think I would ever achieve getting him in an outline never mind doing some leg yielding, but I have, and I'm loving it!
cool.gif

ironhorse

Visit site
You could always think about jumping him side saddle...you do need a good instructor, the right saddle and ultimately the right horse, but if you take it slowly it can be great fun.
Once you've got the technique it is much safer than astride, honestly! You can't get pitched off the front by a stopper, or by a buck or a stumble.
I'm the wobbliest most broken person ever, but with a wonderful horse (sadly now deceased) I hunted, hunter trialled and team chased side saddle.
Don't be embarrassed about pootling over a tiny fence for months and months until you get it right..that's how to get the technique absoulutely spot on, and is what all the national champions did (including the current one, who I know very well!)
If you don't want to jump courses but have the odd pop, the fence in the SSA's riding club horse class is only 2ft

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
Ben's got a BIG jump, he really arches over jumps which is why I don't think my back can handle his jumping. Maybe side saddle would be ok. On my loan pony, I did do a bit of jumping before my side saddle got too narrow for her and did enjoy it (the fences were only 1' though).

Ben's smoooooth trot makes up for his bouncey jumping though and dressage done side saddle is the eventual goal for us but maybe a few tiny fences in the future won't hurt him or me either
smile.gif