I really need some help

Hudsonrb935

New User
Visit site
Hi, long time stalker but just created an account to ask this.

I’m having real trouble with my horse at the moment. He was diagnosed with ulcers a few months ago and has been on treatment and originally responded very well and his behaviour was thoroughly improved. But lately, he’s really not been happy with me getting on him. He’s never been great but it was getting much better.

We have also always had trouble with his right rein canter and him basically bending to the outside. Again, this was getting better but recently it’s gone downhill again. The canter is lovely on the other rein. In trot and walk he is not really bending incorrectly on either reins

Last time I rode him, he was very lethargic until I picked up a short stick and then he worked really nicely. However, he bucked into canter once on each rein.

He is due his saddle check, but it’s not for a couple of months. It feels tight around his shoulders but it lifts up at the back in trot and over fences. So I’m not sure if it’s too narrow or too wide? He’s had this saddle for a few years now so it’s not a new saddle.

He is also having his back done next week by a chiropractor as routine.

I just need a bit of advice as I’m not sure if he’s just being a bit of a brat with the spring grass coming through/his coat moulting or whether the saddle is too narrow/too wide or whether it’s ulcers or something else?

There’s a lot of variables and for my own anxiety, need some sort of clarity as it’s making me ill.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would want to bring the saddle check forward. It sounds as if you know it doesn't fit correctly and yet you are still riding in it, I wonder why that is. I suggest that you stop riding in this saddle until you get it checked, so that it doesn't do any more damage to your horse.

be positive

Visit site
I would suspect that whatever caused the ulcers, unless you know it was management related, is still causing issues, ulcers are rarely the primary issue and with the stiffness, difficulty cantering I would think there is something going on not yet found, it could be the saddle but again that could be moving because there is something niggling elsewhere.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I’ve tried bringing the saddle check forward, but I can’t as she’s completely booked up.

In that case, I would stop riding in the saddle. It might not be causing the problem but it is almost certainly exacerbating it and you seem to recognise, yourself, that it doesn't fit correctly.

Hudsonrb935

New User
Visit site
Okay thank you. He is due the vet out for his final scope in the next few weeks so I’ll mention it then. I have a few ideas of other potential problems he could have based on his behaviour. Like I said, 75% of the issues have disappeared since starting treatment

Hudsonrb935

New User
Visit site
In that case, I would stop riding in the saddle. It might not be causing the problem but it is almost certainly exacerbating it and you seem to recognise, yourself, that it doesn't fit correctly.

I’ve just emailed my saddle fitter to see if there’s anything at all she can do. Even if there’s another saddler she might recommend who has space to fit us in pretty soon

Annagain

Visit site
I know it's the go-to but I'd be concerned about kissing spine if a horse was really unhappy about being mounted and it wasn't a saddle or training issue. Have a look at Sophie Seymour on Facebook and the case she recently had, Baloo.

Hudsonrb935

New User
Visit site
Annagain - that’s on my list of things I’ve thought it may be. I’ve always been tempted to message Sophie but refrained from doing so.

be positive

Visit site
Your chiro should take a look at the saddle next week, they will obviously be unable to do anything to it but in my experience most are good at seeing issues caused by saddles, possibly suggesting a temporary solution by changing the pad/ adding one, if they feel it a major problem then you will have to stop using it but a tweak may help you keep going until the fitter gets out.

Hudsonrb935

New User
Visit site
Your chiro should take a look at the saddle next week, they will obviously be unable to do anything to it but in my experience most are good at seeing issues caused by saddles, possibly suggesting a temporary solution by changing the pad/ adding one, if they feel it a major problem then you will have to stop using it but a tweak may help you keep going until the fitter gets out.

Great thank you. I was going to mention it to her as she’s very aware of the issues we’ve been facing and my concern regarding him potentially having KS.

Hudsonrb935

New User
Visit site
If he is to be without a saddle for a week minimum, does anyone have any good things to help keep his fitness up? Whenever I don’t ride and want to exercise him, I end up just doing a quick lunge but never really have a plan. Obviously want to keep him active whilst he’s not ridden so any problems aren’t made worse

ETA: I’ve just grabbed my saddle and had a look at it and on one of the panels the flocking has become dimply - for want of the technical term. There’s two dimples. I’m guessing this is likely to be the cause?

Last edited:

Fransurrey

Visit site
Agree that saddle sounds like it doesn't fit. Tight around shoulders but lifting at back makes me think too wide, especially if he's had it a few years (has it been reflocked in that time?), as older horses will start to lose muscle in that area (happened to my pony in his 20s).

When not riding, you could still take him for walks (you'd be surprised how enjoyable that is!), loose school over jumps and poles or practise some Trec/agility exercises in hand. Most Trec competitions even have in hand classes if you still wanted to take him out to places (when they start up again of course!).

Hudsonrb935

New User
Visit site
He’s 10 years old and he’s had the saddle since I bought him 4 years ago. It’s gone through 6 monthly checks since then, as recommended by the saddler who sold it to us, who has done the checks. We’ve just recently moved so have had to get a different saddler who is the one who’s not available for a few months.

I was thinking it’s maybe too wide. He’s been off games for a while and had restricted turnout with the weather so I presumed he’d lost a bit of muscle or weight.