I should have worn a hat.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Last night I had to get my goofy 4 year old in from the field. She's 16.3 and somewhat giddy and athletic at the best of times, it didn't help that the weather was awful, pouring with rain with a howling gale, and the tracks from the field to the yard are knee deep in mud.

However, needs must. I put my brave pants on, had a fag and gave myself a stern talking to 'get a grip woman, what's the worst that can happen etc'.

Caught her and we set off at a spanking pace through the gloop. (I really must give up smoking).

As we swung round the corner on to the next track disaster struck. A huge bramble branch that was waving wildly in the wind caught in my hair. Argh! Ouch! The pain! I skidded to a halt and within seconds more of my hair was wrapped in the thorns.

Mare tried to keep walking. Nooo, woah, now I was being scalped as she tried to pull me round the corner. Frustrated at being asked to stand she started leaping around in the swampy goo, sometimes on two legs and once or twice on one. Now I was not only firmly bonded to a hedge but I was also completely covered in mud. Terrific.

I roared at her to stand, and in the millisecond that she stopped I reached up and managed to snap the branch off. The glove I was wearing caught on the thorns so I slipped my hand out but it stayed stuck on the branch. Off we went again, madam towing me up the track and me with about three feet of bramble and a glove hanging out of my head.

Finally made it to the yard, I was hoping everyone might think I was modelling the latest creation in hats, Ladies Day at Ascot perhaps? sadly they didn't and they all fell around laughing. No sympathy there then. And it took me nearly half and hour to disentangle the ruddy branch.

I'm going down the track today with secatuers and I'm having that hedge! With my hat on just in case.

Becca-84

Visit site
Oh no lol!! I started reading thinking that your mare was going to be naughty and hurt you...ended up actually laughing at you hehe! Have a lovely thelwell type image in my head now :p

cob&onion

Visit site
Was reading the first part of your post cringing, thinking you where going to end up with a trip to a&e, however by the end of it i was laughing!! lol :D

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Oh I am so sorry but that had me snorting with laughter :D

*wipes tea off iPad*

It was probably a bit scary at the time though! Glad all was comparatively okay in the end :)

P.S. Let me know if you ever take up writing for a living as I want your books :) :)

pennyturner

Visit site
Sooooo funny. Beautifully written. Glad you were both OK.

You see, that's why you should have native ponies - they'd have eaten the brambles for you.

Tess Love

Visit site
Reading these posts always makes me feel better and that I'm not the only that gets themselves into these situations :D I swear the knee deep mud has a personal vendetta against me, everyone, else seems to walk though it with ease, I look like Bambi trying to stand up :D :D

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Thank you for your nice words. OH keeps nagging me to write a book based on my life, which has so far been full of ridiculous situations in a vaguely Miranda-ish way. If Miranda ever needed inspiration for a horsey episode, I'm her girl. Telling the interviewers at a job interview that I was actually a horse might have been my finest moment.

That wretched hedge, I went down today armed with a sharp implement and gave it what for, which was very satisfying!!

limestonelil

Visit site
Glad you are alright Gala and story made me laugh so much - it's the way you tell 'em. OH is right - I will certainly buy the book - signed copy please.
Alison
x