I suppose 22 is a bit old to start hunting ...

Orangehorse

Visit site
Was out for a gentle amble yesterday morning when we ran slap into the hunt. They emerged from a bridlepath just as I reached that turn. My horse has never been hunting, I have a list with about 6 items on for reasons not to take him hunting, so we never have. One reason was that I have had some very naughty horses in the past that made hunting not a pleasant experience, swinging around, pulling, prancing, jogging, or rushing at fences and I always reckoned I would never be able to hold him, as he tends to lean his whole weight on my hands out in the open at a canter, plus he is a bit clumsy and I could see him tripping over, also not the cleverest at jumping, and then look at his conformation ......

So this was a new experience! Cue lots of excitment - tail in the air, head in the air, and very, very loud snorts. Which doesn't go down very well with other riders as it can upset their horses too. The hounds were going in the direction I had come from, so I carried on and decided that trying to calm him down was a waste of time and to trot on and work. Some riders came with us, so I let them catch up and then we proceeded to trot, briskly, along as if he had been doing it for years and years. Probably went twice as fast and four times as far in trot as normal. When we reached a gate off the lane they very kindly invited me to go with them (me all in my high viz and them in tweed) but I declined. I didn't want to kill my horse with over exertion. He left the others without turning a hair and in a way I wished I had gone with them.

This morning his legs were fine, no filling. I thought that for all the other horses, the noise that he was pretty well behaved and now feel sorry that I didn't try when we were both a lot younger.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If he is sound in wind and limb, is able to be got fit, and your intentions to hunt are mainly to enjoy the social side of the meet and follow for an hour at the back (where it will mainly be waiting round) then no issues.

However, I would ask the secretary for a suitable meet and be very strict with yourself.

Charlie Horse used to go on this presumption after he retired. He would, in fact, do no more work than a 2 hour hack, and it lifted both our spirits. We were always the first to leave. I would be on his back for 1 1/2 approx, half an hour of which was the meet. A trot up the road, some waiting round, only a few minutes in canter, a few jumps and we were hacking home.

It depends on your ability to pay the money and then head for home after a very short time!

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
I took my 20 year old Autumn Hunting for her first time this year, she absolutely loved it, and caught on to everything. I took it easy with her and left earlier. It's like going to Studio 54 in New York. for them...for those of us like me old enough to remember what that was! :)

Michen

Visit site
If he is sound in wind and limb, is able to be got fit, and your intentions to hunt are mainly to enjoy the social side of the meet and follow for an hour at the back (where it will mainly be waiting round) then no issues.

However, I would ask the secretary for a suitable meet and be very strict with yourself.

Charlie Horse used to go on this presumption after he retired. He would, in fact, do no more work than a 2 hour hack, and it lifted both our spirits. We were always the first to leave. I would be on his back for 1 1/2 approx, half an hour of which was the meet. A trot up the road, some waiting round, only a few minutes in canter, a few jumps and we were hacking home.

It depends on your ability to pay the money and then head for home after a very short time!

This.

I am doing this with Bear. Yes, it’s an expensive hack, but he is always first on the trailer to go home. And he’s still learning so much.

When hunting even on my older horse my rule was always that my horse was on the trailer by 3pm at the absolute latest no matter how good the day was.

Courbette

Visit site
I have never been hunting myself but have seen firsthand the aftermath of an older horse not properly prepared and taken for the first time. The horse I loaned was taken after a winter of very light work and dubious soundness and his owner stayed out on him so echo the advice above about knowing your limit and prepping them properly. Sounds like your boy was a star!