I suspect it's a bit like....

mossycup

Visit site
going shopping for newborn baby essentials and ending up with a pile of sh*te the baby nevers wears or uses....'It' being buying everything you need for a new horse 😂

What would be on your essential 'must have' list - things I need before a new pony steps hoof on the yard? And what would be on your 'don't bother with that' list? Just before I go and hit complete purchase on a very full shopping basket 😂

(Horse will hopefully be living out all year round, and I'm coming in to this with nothing bar a grooming kit and a pair of overreach boots, having not owned for a decade or so)

SEL

Visit site
Headcollar, leadrope for day 1. I'd probably get a flymask too. Rainsheet in time.

Will you need water or feed buckets, mucking out or poo picking stuff day 1? Decent wheelbarrow worth it.

Saddle fitter booked in and see if anyone has a spare bridle & bit you can borrow to judge correct fit.

Or you could go all out matchy matchy 😜

mossycup

Visit site
Headcollar, leadrope for day 1. I'd probably get a flymask too. Rainsheet in time.

Will you need water or feed buckets, mucking out or poo picking stuff day 1? Decent wheelbarrow worth it.

Saddle fitter booked in and see if anyone has a spare bridle & bit you can borrow to judge correct fit.

Or you could go all out matchy matchy 😜

Feed buckets yes, water/mucking out, no as it'll be troughs in the field/she's living out.

Planning to book saddle fitter now as it could be a 6 week wait for one.

Sealine

Visit site
My must haves are not available to buy but I would make sure you find a good vet, farrier, saddle fitter, dentist and physio. A basic first aid kit is always useful to have around. EBay is your friend for all the stuff you will decide you ‘ need’. I’m still using things I bought second hand on eBay when I bought my horse 14 years ago.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Feed buckets yes, water/mucking out, no as it'll be troughs in the field/she's living out.

Planning to book saddle fitter now as it could be a 6 week wait for one.

You may still need one for poo picking..

I would have a headcollar and leadrope, first aid it (you can get a good one on ebay for £27 as a set) alongside the grooming kit you already have you should be grand.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
When my new horse arrived a few weeks ago I got headcollar and lead rope
Feed buckets
Feed
Feed bins, scoop, stirrer
Rugs (but knew his size)
Grooming kit
First aid kit (already used)

If you need to clear field: wheelbarrow and poop scoop

MiLeTa

Visit site
Sturdy box(es)/ set of plastic drawers to put all your stuff in. And if in doubt, go for the next size up because you'll always eventually end up with more than you think you will!

First aid kit
Headcollar and lead rope
Fly cream/spray
Feed bucket and something to clean it (i.e. scrubbing brush/ sponge)
Treats!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
My must haves are not available to buy but I would make sure you find a good vet, farrier, saddle fitter, dentist and physio. A basic first aid kit is always useful to have around. EBay is your friend for all the stuff you will decide you ‘ need’. I’m still using things I bought second hand on eBay when I bought my horse 14 years ago.
And a big bag of gold.

mossycup

Visit site

These I have 👍

smolmaus

Visit site
We were talking first aid kits this week, new girl on the yard with her brand new first pony got a nasty looking kick on day 3. Looked worse than it was thankfully and everyone of course happy to lend supplies but still not nice to have to borrow!

vhf

Visit site
And what would be on your 'don't bother with that' list? Just before I go and hit complete purchase on a very full shopping basket 😂
(Horse will hopefully be living out all year round, and I'm coming in to this with nothing bar a grooming kit and a pair of overreach boots, having not owned for a decade or so)
I got a great deal on a h/w turnout for my new thin skinned TB who'd never lived out... he never needed more than a 100g all winter so that was money well saved!:rolleyes:

Find out what feed (if any) they are used to - including treats in case you need to do any reassuring about anything. Think about worrmers, check if any jabs are imminent so you don't accidentally end up out of date. If you have good yard friends the more you can borrow, even for 24 hours, while you work out more permanent solutions can save time and you can always repay the favour.
When I've sold locally I've sent stuff with them for the first few days so I knew the change-over would be as easy as possible for all - and gave me a reason to check up on them when I wanted it back... so there's that as a possibility.

Definitely basic first aid, the stuff you WILL need eventually.

You may want to primp them up a lot in the first days (my new pony syndrome). If this is you, some hoof oil and a mane comb makes a world of difference! But don't overload them with unwanted attention like baths, sprays, etc until you know each other better.
Fly spray - great idea, but maybe get a gel first until you know they will tolerate a spray or your first few days might be a bit more dramatic than necessary.

Pippity

Visit site
They do don't they. My sister was only complaining about this yesterday.
Mine don't! All bright orange, all with a loop of baling twine, and all labelled with my name and where they should be hung. (Tack locker, headcollar rack, storage barn.)

I mean, I can never find my girth, or my hi-viz tabard*, or sometimes my bridle, but I can always find my hoofpicks!

* I usually ride in a workwear hi-viz t-shirt, so I only need my tabard once in a blue moon.