I think I only have one option left here: barefoot

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I'm going to post a few photos from over the last year or so. Work from multiple (3) farriers over 2 years. You can see how GLARINGLY OBVIOUS the cause of the quarter crack is. I knew this. It is not rocket surgery. I had one farrier tell me that the crack would never go away and always be there. I had a vet who did x-rays and all sorts of visits tell me he just didn't know anymore. I had another vet tell me this is a farrier problem (yeah!) but said I could visit his clinic (2+ hours), which was fine, but far every 5 weeks. I've had a vet and farrier tell me he is a Spanish horse and this is why he has this problem. The way he moves (like most Spanish horses - wings a bit - but less so now) causes it and it can never go away. Yeah, ok, when he came from Spain 3 years ago he had fantastic looking hooves, and I'm pretty sure all Spanish horses aren't out there plagued with permanent quarter cracks. EYE. ROLL. I literally feel like its a bad dream and I am going to wake up any moment, how else do you explain this? Totally bizarre.

Anyho:

avgBkSk.jpg

Here you can see one of the cracks bleeding...again (Nov 2019ish)

apox34v.jpg

I wonder why?

34gn7Hf.jpg

What..what is going on here?

yftM7k6.jpg

The Z-bar approach:

RuQQTHU.jpg

NFVADp4.jpg

gpp2yAE.jpg

Back in April...honestly, this guy from the clinic probably gave it the "best job"

3YpDuit.jpg

iI14Qlw.jpg

JmtLGQ6.jpg

GHmxnrm.jpg

w8yFOcg.jpg

ECYXJix.jpg

qZq6eFI.jpg

lIejbJN.jpg

And this equine on the way back from the clinic wondering what in the world is going on with his feet?!

jdCRCRQ.jpg

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Ah I missed that he was spanish, that explains some of the height. Is he mostly worked on surfaces? You might have seen J1ffy post on here about her guy that went to Rockley, then went back to Spain doing a lot of sand riding and them going upright again.

In a lot of the earlier photos (particularly the 'what is going on here' one) you can see how jammed up at the coronary band he is at the quarters. My gut feeling would be that if the hoof relaxes a bit generally that will improve anyway/have a chance to grow down properly. It's not unusual to trim so that the quarters are not in ground contact depending on the horse. Some even do it a bit naturally.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Ah I missed that he was spanish, that explains some of the height. Is he mostly worked on surfaces? You might have seen J1ffy post on here about her guy that went to Rockley, then went back to Spain doing a lot of sand riding and them going upright again.

In a lot of the earlier photos (particularly the 'what is going on here' one) you can see how jammed up at the coronary band he is at the quarters. My gut feeling would be that if the hoof relaxes a bit generally that will improve anyway/have a chance to grow down properly. It's not unusual to trim so that the quarters are not in ground contact depending on the horse. Some even do it a bit naturally.

Ah no, I missed that post. I'll take a look. He's worked on good footing in the school mainly, but goes on a hack at least once a week, and a handwalk. No tarmac, mostly decent dirt footing in the forest and some quite rocky. There is a good hard packed trail with a bit of gravel we walk frequently.

I agree that the quarters were and are jammed. Even moreso now. I understand floating the quarters or alleviating pressure there, but I felt like he was often in too small of a shoe.

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Omg I can't believe his not been lame his poor little feet and that is not having a go at you, I would just take the shoes off it can't be any worse than they were!!

I don't know how he's not lame! He took a few off steps at the trot when the cracks initially bled. I was even told to crack on with all work, ignore the crack, and don't care unless he's lame. When he's lame, it's too late IMO! I'm so relieved that he got the shoes off today and a proper trim.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I snapped a few pictures today, and I managed to drop my phone in such a way that the camera is smashed. So...yeah. Good thing I was already planning on upgrading!

I put him free in the indoor today so I could watch him move around on his own and in a straight line. I only asked him to trot a little, and his trot was a bit short, but not bad. His walk was quite ok.
I was then talking to a friend and he proceeded to trot around, go over some poles, canter. and buck a bit, so obviously he's in good spirits! Usually he's fairly lazy and doesn't move unless directed :p
I've seen horses get a shoe removed and be almost instantly lame, so coming out of shoes and pads, its not so bad. Last time he handled it ok too. I just take it slow and let him dictate the speed/listen to how he feels.

Obviously still a long ways to go:

Also, this ground isn't 100% even.

x2VvafM.jpg

evtFhFn.jpg

AFr229r.jpg

9bOQwgq.jpg

OOLnlhN.jpg

OWuZmoa.jpg

His little face he looks so honest and lovely

He is really the best horse I've ever owned. :)

alibali

Visit site
Really looking forward to following his progress. I hope his feet relax and improve. The more comfortable heel first landings he does the faster his progress will be.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
So, horse is going quite food sans shoes. I'm surprised. He walk, trots, and canters good in the school and we handwalked in the forest over some packed ground, gravel, small stones, and of course mud because it does not stop raining here.

I wonder why it goes well with him. With my TB it took quite awhile and his hooves were in better condition. But that was a long time ago.

The farrier said he should be able to work alright and might not need boots. Not sure what he based that statement off of, but if he needs them, he gets them. I'm a tad concerned about too much pressure on the wall since the frog and whatnot is so far up there. So my first thought was boots and pads. I'll measure anyway this Saturday after the farrier had been here again. The composite shoes are still an option for heel and sole stimulation, but I just don't know much about those.

It also appears that the coronary band, heels, and cartilages have relaxed just a wee bit. So horse seems comfortable at the moment.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Not much to report from a visual aspect regarding the hooves. Some small changes, will snap some more pics. The coronary band and heels have relaxed slightly.

On one hoof, it chipped in such a way that it actually appears to take pressure off of the crack. That crack is the closest to being grown out. I'd like his hooves to get a bit wider, but also makes me wonder if we will reach a point of fighting genetics as I think he will be prone to a more narrow and upright foot anyway, but not nearly as constricted as what we started with. A lot more chipping this time around, but some self trimming going on I imagine. Nothing catastrophic.

However, the most interesting thing is that he feels better in his body. He has more power and is more forward. A (self admitted not so aware) friend said that his hind legs def come underneath him even more than before. Another trainer who we hadn't ridden with for 2 months or so said that his movement in his front end is larger and more free. Regular trainer also noted positive change in his movement. Maybe he wasn't obviously lame, but was bothered by his hoof situation and moved a bit more choppy, but he's Spanish, so sometimes they appear more choppy and up and down. Even his walk, which was always good, is just huge now.

He felt great yesterday hacking over hard ground and small stones. Not even a tender step.

Neither crack has grown.

I am really, really, surprised. Should've taken and kept the shoes off 2 years ago tbh ?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Well, I did order a new saddle back in August that is due to arrive in December. However, it is wool flocked and the gullet is adjustable (Iberosattel/Sommer) so we should have some wiggle room. His current Fairfax is still alright. The osteo usually comes on a fairly regular schedule in winter so we'll get a few appointments in.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Well, I did order a new saddle back in August that is due to arrive in December. However, it is wool flocked and the gullet is adjustable (Iberosattel/Sommer) so we should have some wiggle room. His current Fairfax is still alright. The osteo usually comes on a fairly regular schedule in winter so we'll get a few appointments in.

When I started riding my barefoot horse he felt like a plank because I think having been so sensitive for so many months just knotted all his body up, I used a sports massage therapist and it really helped him he felt like a different horse just after one session.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
So...horse has successfully removed a decent chunk of hoof by the big crack on his right front. It is is not pretty on the underside of his hooves right now. They're not oval, not round, but some strange oblong chipped shape. Farrier was supposed to come today as previously scheduled bit rescheduled (last minute, OH was literally waiting in the stable, horse in hand) for Thursday. Where he was coming from is prone to traffic jams and being Germany, there is odd road construction and crappy detours.

We were trying to do frequent small trims and/or a flexible composite shoe for a few cycles if things were falling apart.

Part of me wonders if the large chunk was the hoof trying to ease pressure on itself. Or it is an obvious weak point and or just gave out. I put some Thrush Buster in the exposed area and white line area so things don't get funky.

Maybe boots would've helped, but he can't wear them 24/7 and usually the other 23 hours when I'm not working him is when stuff happens. He doesn't measure "correct" for any boot except for one...after extensive research and measurement.

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
The farrier basically took my money and ran. Paid 200 Euro for composite shoes (had to pre-pay the appointment) 4 weeks ago and has continously blown us off. I decided to ditch the shoe idea anyway. I had a barefoot trimmer come yesterday, the first time I've used one, as I get a bit of a "cult-ish" feeling from it all, but I feel as though her work was ok, and she actually showed up! and scheduled the next appointment in 4 weeks! So thats farther than I've gotten with others. She didn't want to do anything too nuts, but cleaned up the hoof. His sole was quite...odd to say the least. Horse did a rather intensive dressage lesson last night and appears to be feeling fine.

hKS6hEF.jpg

UF1NXBw.jpg

Jaxagpa.jpg

He was starting to shift his weight and move in this photo, so not the best:

VQK9WdA.jpg

BBj1mVx.jpg

zAeuVTs.jpg

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Idk how he's sound either. And various people watch him go that would hesitate to say something! Even in a not so nice way.

When she took a lot of sole out she used hoof testers too, no response to them. The sole was ...let's just say she was impressed and had to photograph it for herself.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
You may have already found this, I sent it to a customer with not dissimilar issues:

http://www.ironfreehoof.com/tall-hoof.html

Yes, I read that awhile back, but a good find nonetheless!

The trimmer came back today (in the area) and was pleased with how the coronary band has relaxed since Wednesday. She trimmed a bit more and lowered the heel. They look quite decent now, in comparison to 5 weeks ago. Wayyy more progress than what was being made in shoes! Horse continues to move well...and perhaps wonder why we mess with his feet all the time ? ?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Back again with more photos from the weekend.

These are from before trimming started/how the last farrier left them:

t2O1s4a.jpg

gWDuviU.jpg

xdGB6BD.jpg

5i6nQIS.jpg

And now:

R5HipQN.jpg

PkbBPhH.jpg

The crack is growing out at this time.

Sadly, the last farrier still owes me 200 Euro and I don't think I will ever see it.