I think I've just set myself up to do my first dressage test!

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
...and now I'm getting all nervous about it!

Assuming that we can get transport sorted, I will be going to the unaffiliated walk and trot test at BCA. I'm quite keen to get B out and about and we'll only do the W&T test, although I'm thinking of going in for both tests that they are running.

I'm sure I am over worrying about everything [nothing new] but I'm just nervous about how he deals with the atmosphere, if there are a load of other riders around etc as he's not been out before to a competition.

Anyone got any tips for me to help calm down a little, and how to make it as unexcitable as possible for B? Also, if anyone knows what BCA is like and what the warm up can be like it would be appreciated!

Thanks! :D

kc100

Visit site
I'm in a similar boat to you - I've just signed myself up to do an unaffiliated prelim at Swallowfield (nr Solihull) in 2 weeks time and I'm nervous as hell!

I've never done a dressage test before (and neither has my giant beast of a horse who has always hunted in the past) so I dont have any tips on the venue or what the warm up is like, but I will share what I have been doing to prepare so far!

I've bought my test (I'm only going to do the 1 I think) - prelim 1, from the BD website and I have broken the test up into sections, practicing those sections fequently and then where we have problems, I'm working on those issues seperately in the school. If you can buy the test/s you will be doing on the day as far ahead as possible that is a good option, even if you are having a reader it makes you feel better that you know the test inside out and you are well prepared for any sections where your horse might struggle.

I went to the venue this weekend just gone to watch what goes on, it was an affiliated medium competition so totally different level to what I'm working at, but it was so handy to see the size of the arena (indoors it turns out), the size of the warm up arena and where spectators sit etc. If it is possible for you to visit your venue before your test when there is another dressage comp going on I'd highly recommend it, it will help you to feel calmer and more prepared.

The venue I'm competing at has mirrors, thankfully my boy is used to mirrors so this shouldnt be a problem but so many horses at the weekend when I was watching were spooking at their own reflection, so it is worth doing a recce to see if there are any potential issues like this.

I'd also suggest hiring out the arena at your venue if this is an option - I know Swallowfield offer this so I'm sure other venues will too. Get your horse used to the arena so it is not all new on the day, and that way it is less likely he will react badly on the day.

If there are going to be lots of spectators on the day (easily determined by visiting the venue on a competition day and seeing where they sit) then see if you can rope any friends/family/people at the yard into sitting or standing around outside your school at home and making a bit of noise, to help get him used to people being around while he is working.

Same goes for warming up - thankfull with my boy we are on a big livery yard and are used to sharing the school with 3+ horses, so our warm up should be ok. But if your horse is not used to being in a school with other horses, see if you can rope anyone else with a horse into coming into the school with you, so he learns that he needs to listen to you rather than having a nosey at the other horses.

But most of all - dont panic! I keep telling myself, this is supposed to be fun, and if it is your first time dont expect much and just have fun. If you are prepared it is not going to be perfect, and use it for a learning experience, it will be so much easier. If you are going with the view to winning you are going to put too much pressure on yourself, so relax, look at this as a learning experience and dont expect much out of it. Everyone has to start somewhere, and my dressage trainer told me that no-one's first time is perfect so dont worry too much about it. Even international dressage riders have off days, their horses spook, the warm up doesnt go right.....these things happen to everyone so there is no pressure on your first time to get it right.

Good luck, I hope it goes well and you enjoy it!

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
Oh yay, good for you!

We'll be doing intros. I've practised them before, but I need to knuckle down and get on with them properly. Thanks for your tip about breaking it down and working out the issues; that sounds like a fab idea. Luckily at my yard we have all the tests so I can get someone to call it for me.

He's used to being in the school with other horses - we have up to 4 of us in there at any one time and he's been in there when horses are jumping too, and we have a viewing gallery so he's used to going past people who are watching. I'm hoping a few friends from the yard will be coming with to give support etc.

I'm not going there with the aim of winning - I want him to get some experience about going somewhere, let him see a bit more of the world, give him a positive experience and get through the tests - hopefully doing what we should and not what we shouldn't!!!

Good luck to you too!

chestnuttyy

Visit site
I would defo recommend using dressage diagrams... They help me soon much! Can see exactly what points of the arena you should be hitting :)

kc100

Visit site
Oh yay, good for you!

We'll be doing intros. I've practised them before, but I need to knuckle down and get on with them properly. Thanks for your tip about breaking it down and working out the issues; that sounds like a fab idea. Luckily at my yard we have all the tests so I can get someone to call it for me.

He's used to being in the school with other horses - we have up to 4 of us in there at any one time and he's been in there when horses are jumping too, and we have a viewing gallery so he's used to going past people who are watching. I'm hoping a few friends from the yard will be coming with to give support etc.

I'm not going there with the aim of winning - I want him to get some experience about going somewhere, let him see a bit more of the world, give him a positive experience and get through the tests - hopefully doing what we should and not what we shouldn't!!!

Good luck to you too!

It sounds like you should be fine then, the biggest issue that I have seen when people are out competing is the warm up, when horses are not used to being around others they get so worked up! But if he is used to it then he wont bat an eyelid, and if there is anything scary around the warm up arena he may well have a little spook but as long as you give yourself about 20 mins for a warm up he will soon settle down.

When I went to my venue this weekend it was very much like what you would experience in the school at home - people warming up, minding their own business, rugs coming off when they all got warm enough, doing a few circles and transitions. The atmosphere wasnt much different to a group of people schooling at home, so if he is used to being around others, and your class is a Walk Trot (no-one will be cantering around at 100mph!) then I cant see you having too many issues.

I'm going to my test with the main purpose of getting feedback from the judges - I'd love to know what they think! At home I think all is good and my trainer is always positive (but then again he is getting paid so unlikely to be too negative!) so I cant wait to get some outsider feedback and really focus my schooling.