I think Twiggy is Blind

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
Its not too much of a problem I think, but when I look at her eyes with the sun on them there is a very definate blue haze over her eyes. Now I am never going to ask much from her, she is brushed and loved at the mo, but this may explain some of her behaviour when she sees things. Today a fox was in her field as I bought them in and she stopped following Dougal and wandered off to go and have a closer look. (may also explain why she was so upset over the weekend with the children in the woods, I guess with bad eye sight they could look like monsters
tongue.gif
). Any one have any experience with this or advice I could take? I have not paid for her yet so as a companion pony should I offer less than asking price when we get to that point?

Thanks for help

lauraandjack

Visit site
I would definitely get a vet to come and assess her vision properly and have a good look in her eyes with an ophthalmoscope. Poor vision could certainly cause strange behaviour.

Does she lead in hand? Try setting up a bit of an 'assault course' for her to negotiate on a long rope with things to step over, move round etc, this might give you a good idea of what her vision is like.

With regard to her price I would definitely say she is worth less if you were having her as a potential riding horse. Vision problems can definitely have an impact on a horse's future use. If anything having partial sight in both eyes is far worse than having no sight in one, as partially sighted horses are often unpredictably spooky, whereas horses that are blind in one eye just compensate with the other.

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
I think really you'd need to get a vet to look at her to try and be sure one way or the other.

Also, if she's coming as a companion pony and she is partially blind then I wouldn't be paying for her at all (or a very small amount if I had to).

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
I didnt see the blindness until the bright sunlight hit her eyes over the last few days, first time I saw it, I just thought I was seeing things. The thing is she is a bit of a pain to lead as she has been so neglected, but I will try the obstacle course thing. She does make a fuss coming into the stables, as it gets darker, so I guess more clues that she is not that good a seeing, and she is rather spooky and nervous but again could be down to her not being well handles recently.

emma69

Visit site
I have to say, I wouldn't pay for a blind companion pony! there are enough of those types of horses around and about without having to pay.

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
Well I havn't paid for her yet. The owner does not want her back.

I went to see her as an advertised companion pony they wanted money for, but when I got there and she was all alone, with no friends and no one to go and give her some time as Mum had small 6 month old baby and Daughter was not interested. So how could I just leave her there. So organised one month trail to see if nervousness would settle and went to get her the sunday after. Silly really but I felt so sorry for her, onwer has not been in contact really so I may just keep quiet. I am not upset about it, I will get the vet out I think to give it a look. Poor girl, the owner bought her from a Dealer up North, one of those family pony stories, but then when researched it found out that she had been at a dealer, so no history, thought she had done her jabs and done her feet and wormed her, but not really loved her. So I don't really know much about her, but I knew she was desperately unhappy and I had to give her a happy home.

emma69

Visit site
Then once the vet has confirmed, tell the owner that the horse is blind, and offer to keep her as a companion but that realsitically, she isn't worth anything. Presumably they must know something is not right if she is being advertised as a companion not a riding horse?

somethingorother

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The blueish tinge you see sometimes is normal as far as I am aware...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what i thought too, have always noticed it. If you're unsure though best for vet to check.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
I'd agree that a blueish tinge only visible in bright sunlight could well be normal. Cloudy white across the cornea is bad news. You could also try the startle test. Hold ponio in a headcollar and with the flat of your hand pretend to smack her as hard as you can in one eye - you obviously stop millimetres before you do! Ponio should jerk back in surprise. Same on other eye. This isn't a definitive test as even if it is partly blind, the horse may feel the rush of air from your hand. But it can be a guide. Vet otherwise.