I thought all dogs could swim??

buckybee

Visit site
Well, after watching stars performance on her first attempt I'm thinking not now!!

She looked so funny, but did look like we might have to jump in and rescue her! she kind of tried to put her back feet on the bottom and walk her front feet on the top of the water - lots of splashing and Star looking like a spac!
smirk.gif
grin.gif

Now she's a pointer and so supposed to be an "excellent swimmer" and she has the enthusiasm bless her - will she get the hang of it?? and are all dogs supposed to be able to swim or is that just me making it up?
confused.gif

Onyxia

Visit site
Remember a trainer years ago insisting our GSD dog could swim if he put the effort in, could he hell!
Most he ever managed was a kangaroo type hop back to dry land,lmao.

buckybee

Visit site
I felt really bad but I haven't laughed as much in ages!! I was just getting ready to send OH in fully clothed to rescue her!
grin.gif
She kept going back in though the silly girl! Good job she is tall!
smirk.gif

Andelusional

Visit site
We find that all ours get it eventually, but they sometimes need you to hoik the tails up a couple of times until they understand to kick with the hind legs. I keep a long light line on my young dogs till they learn to 'float astern!' We have Cockers and Retreivers and they all swim well now.

buckybee

Visit site
Thats good then, she might learn still!
tongue.gif
I think she would enjoy it, she seems to want to keep trying!
smirk.gif

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I've known one or two dogs who swam like that at first, but as long as they enjoy it and keep going in the water they soon master horizontal swimming!

prose

Visit site
I took my dog in a swimming pool and she freaked out, flapping her legs about and screaming. She has always been averse to water and does dramatic leaps over puddles, and will in no way shape or form fetch her ball from the sea. Strange thing is, she likes walking in the rain
tongue.gif

Sooty

Visit site
No, my previous Boxer x never could. He was flailing around in a lake near us and a random bloke muttered that he had seen a dog drown when it was attempting to swim like that (sort of front feet only), so we never encouraged him to go too deep and he never volunteered!

lmholden

Visit site
I think you need to persevere - my rottie Buster hated water when he was little, he even used to walk around puddles! To get him to go in we had to go in with him - he eventually decided he did like swimming. Best not to make too big a deal of it and take your time.