I took my QHxTB on some gallops today! (Tame) photos...!

catembi

Visit site
Anyway, we got there & had a long walk through fields to get to the gallops. It was windy so trees/hedges all rustling, lots of shadows, & my worst thing is riding past hedges as my other horse used to see monsters & spook/spin! So our first trip up was a bit feeble - only got up to ccanter on the steep bit & the rest was trot or walk past the shadowy/rustly bits. I was v disappointed with myself on the way back down & thought, FFS, you have driven all this way, you're on a 'racehorse', you are on a gallops, surely you can do better than this?

So on my next go, we were straight into canter, then I pushed into gallop...and 4 strides in he went, yippee & chucked in some bucks! He has a serious ejector seat there. I v luckily stayed in the plate & pushed him through it, & cantered to the end. Then for our third go, we hit a gallop almost straight away, then I pushed him on & he suddenly found his extra gear & just went. OMFG I have *never* been that fast. Absolutely blinding, insane speed. I don't think he's probably ever done it before & he was exhilarated to have found 5th gear. He powered up the hill as if it was flat and went on...and on...and on. It was like being on a rollercoaster. I thought I might have to use the straw bale bank at the end to stop, but managed to pull up.

So, yeah! I need to find a longer gallops & really see what he can do. Tomorrow's dressage lesson might be...interesting! O/h took some pictures, and has managed the v unlikely feat of only taking them when I'm barely moving, missing the cantering, rodeo antics & blistering speed.

Pointless post, but I am feeling v satisfied atm.

https://www.facebook.com/tracey.dawson.735/media_set?set=a.10157562866082848&type=3

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
he is now looking really well, and he is just the right size for you IMO.... a good buy considering that you had a few soundness misgivings....have you kept him without shoes i cant remember?

catembi

Visit site
Splashgirl - he failed the vet for being lame in front, but lungeing on concrete is quite a test for a b/f horse. I am quite into my b/f & have a great farrier, so I thought he would probably be okay. He is totally fine b/f, apart from over gravel, which is fair enough.

FB - he is buckskin, which is a fab colour as it doesn't show the dirt like grey does! :D

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I was wondering this morning how you were getting on. Great news. 👍

Mrs G

Visit site
Brilliant update! I am very envious, taking my horse to some gallops is on my bucket list. Well done!

catembi

Visit site
He's a good boy! He is v inexperienced but is happy to give anything a go. We have been whizzing about to lessons, clinics, comps etc. We've done polework dressage exercises, group lessons & he has jumped a full-up 60 cm course at a show with all the fillers out etc. About to enter our first dr comp! He has a slow walk, which is perfect for hacking out with o/h on foot! :D

catembi

Visit site
I was so scared though, Mrs G! The whole thing looked like one long shadowy spook fest & I don't think I can remember the last time I went faster than an sj canter. Probably when Catembi was still alive (2006) as he didn't really 'do' brakes & we often ended up in gallop when we should have been dr/sj or having a sedate hack. We need to find a longer gallops now as 7 furlongs is nowhere near enough for Mr Speedy. He simply ate up the ground.

catembi

Visit site
I am sorry. Faracat. If I try to poost the pictures directly from my PC, it says that they are too big & I don't know how to fix it :(

catembi

Visit site
Some more... No speed or bucking photos whatsoever!

Attachments

• Cody 5.JPG
    Cody 5.JPG
    765.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Cody 6.JPG
    Cody 6.JPG
    833.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Cody 7.JPG
    Cody 7.JPG
    790.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Cody 8.JPG
    Cody 8.JPG
    874.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Cody 9.JPG
    Cody 9.JPG
    822.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Cody 10.JPG
    Cody 10.JPG
    835.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Cody 11.JPG
    Cody 11.JPG
    842.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Cody 12.JPG
    Cody 12.JPG
    834.2 KB · Views: 28

TPO

Visit site
Well done! That looks amazing, good to read that you're having so much fun.

He's looking fantastic too 😍

catembi

Visit site
Yeah, I know! It's infuriating! But I can't say I'm surprised... When I went to an sj clinic, he took extensive photos but hadn't really got the hang of 'action shots' & the end result was a lot of still life photos of jumps, with not a horse in sight... One of his tail disappearing out of shot!

silv

Visit site
He is looking really good, glad you are really enjoying him, sounds like he is turning out to be a super horse. Very envious of you having gallops to use.

Mule

Visit site
He's very handsome. I love his coat colour too. I'm glad he's working out so well:)
I remember being shocked by the speed when I first galloped my TB x. The last time I had galloped was years before on a stocky ID. Bit of a difference there:D