I viewed a horse today and need some advice

ladylady

Visit site
Today I tried out a 16.1 ISH Mare that has been over from ireland for 18 months. She belongs to a lovely family and had a sweet temperament and rode really well. However, the lower third of her neck got wider and wider with muscle, which looked out of proportion to the rest of her neck. The owner said that she thinks that she had been tied to promote topline muscle when she was in ireland and that it has gone down a lot since they have had her. We really liked her and it is a 2 hour drive for my vet to go to do the vetting, so before I arrange that I wanted peoples opinions - does this sound right and do you think it will affect her in the future?

be positive

Visit site
Is she well muscled along the top of her back?
I would be a little concerned that after 18 months ,if worked correctly this build up was still there,it could be that she is compensating for a weakness somewhere.
It is difficult to get a full picture but have they been working her,had physio,is she tense when ridden,does the saddle fit ,these would all have a bearing on her development.

Pebbles

Visit site
I wouldn't like to offer advice as I know you need to be especially careful to get the right one this time and really wish you all the luck in the world with your new horsey. However I would imagine this could well be the case I would think but is it under the neck or all around. I am always very wary of too much under neck muscle as it means they have been going above the bit for so long and it would be hard to undo. Is she strong to ride, and what bit is she currently ridden in? Shame you don't have any pics as it is hard to imagine really. Do let us know how you get on and what you decide. Good luck x

ladylady

Visit site
Thank you for your replies (hi Pebbles, hope you are ok), and I should have taken some photos but unfortunately didn't. She seemed well muscled along her back and the muscles were on the top of her neck, starting about two thirds down her neck which got wider and wider, which just looked strange. She was not strong to ride, my daughter put her over fences aswell and she was very sweet to say she is only 6. And yes Pebbles, because I have to be especially careful I have travelled as far away from the south as possible and am paranoid about absolutely everything, which is making the purchase so stressful.

Pebbles

Visit site
I can imagine so well just how you are feeling, ended up buying privately myself this time and have ended up with a little treasure, so very well thank you :). I do hope you are as lucky, you certainly deserve to be!! I too steered clear of that area! :-(. It doesn't sound too much of a problem, the only way to really be sure is obviously the vetting and if she ticks all the boxes I think I would be tempted to risk the cost of that. I know you then have high travel costs but its the only way to be sure. I would probably want to go back for a second try though, worth the time and journey and see how you feel following a second viewing if you can, horses aren't generally going anywhere fast and I always go for a second viewing with a knowledgeable friend to cover off any such queries? Sorry I am no expert but like you from bitter experience know one can't be too careful. My new mare had pads on hind feet when sold and I had to investigate this further with help of my farrier but seller was so genuine she gave us access to her farrier and vet and we were able to make a fully informed decision - as everything else was so exactly right in every other way - this seems to have all checked out and paid off fingers crossed. Perhaps you could find out a bit more in a similar way to put your mind at rest too? So difficult - big hugs and fingers crossed for you too x

be positive

Visit site
I see you had problems with previous purchase,can you go back for a second try and take a knowledgeable person with you,or video and photos to show someone you trust to give an opinion.
I always like to see a horse twice if possible and also go to the vetting.
Do you know anyone that is in the area that could go if you cant get there again the more information you have will enable you to make the right decision.

ISHmad

Visit site
Agree with Be Positive, get a second opinion if you can. I do think if she is only 6 and hasn't been correctly worked then this could be overcome, provided of course there isn't any underlying physical reason for her being like this.

nikCscott

Visit site
I agree as you've had a bad time, second viewing and take lots of photos and a video, you often notice things in a video you don't see live -good or bad. It will also give your daughter a chance to see how the mare is going for her.

Hope it works out

Chez

Visit site
Whereabouts in the country is the mare? Could you pm me the horses name? Sounds identical to one I went to look at this time last year and I'd be slightly concerned if she was either a. still for sale or b. is already being sold on.

Puppy

Visit site
I see you had problems with previous purchase,can you go back for a second try and take a knowledgeable person with you,or video and photos to show someone you trust to give an opinion.
I always like to see a horse twice if possible and also go to the vetting.
Do you know anyone that is in the area that could go if you cant get there again the more information you have will enable you to make the right decision.

Ditto all of this advice.