I was mooching around preloved

Wiz201

Visit site
And I found a delightful Haflinger pony that the owner was either willing to loan or part loan. I've sent her my full details via email, plus a text, but do you peeps think that I'll be too heavy for a 14hh Haflinger pony? I'm 14 stone and 5'4" quite a well balanced rider, just wanting something like this to go and hack out on possibly only an hour to begin with three days a week.

Megibo

Visit site
Yes... I'm 12 stone and ride a 13.3 chunk of a Welsh D. She can carry me but, its unfair on her long term hence my diet. I was riding at 12.7 stone before... do the 20% rule. I would not let someone 14 stone ride mine, as balanced or not your weight is still your weight.

Irishcobs

Visit site
We have a overgrown haflinger, he is 15.3hh and his weight limit for an hours walk ride is 14 stone. I am 12 stone and he carries me fine for faster work. I think it will depend on the build, comfo and fitness of the pony.

Wiz201

Visit site
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/107311186/14hh-halflinger-pony.html

This is the advert, has got some nice pictures. I've been on the phone with the owner and she says he can be a bit strong (I suppose hence the flash bridle) but has no major vices and hacks out fine. I told her my weight and she did think a bit, but I told her that I was an experienced rider and she seemed to be ok with that. She says she's got someone from Doncaster looking to fully loan him although she didn't want him to leave the yard so she's going to let their nine year old try him although she's unsure of whether a nine year old would be suitable, so I'll be the first to know tomorrow.

xTrooperx

Visit site
Prehaps ask for bone measurement??? Can only help you to get full facts, haffy's are known for their carrying abilities like highlands, so prob can carry more than you would think.

ImmyS

Visit site
Prehaps ask for bone measurement??? Can only help you to get full facts, haffy's are known for their carrying abilities like highlands, so prob can carry more than you would think.

Just because they are known for weight carrying abilities doesn't mean that they 'should' carry large weights. In my opinion 14stone is too much, but if you would like a horse of that type maybe it would be a good incentive to get a bit fitter and shed a few pounds for your own health :). Good luck

EquiGal92

Visit site
I'm 5'7" and used to weigh around the 14st mark when I was riding at a riding school that loved the Haffy breed and used to ride one quite regulary (3 out of many in total at the school), they were all ponies at the 14hhish and they all carried me fine including when jumping, so I think you'll be fine :)

Wiz201

Visit site
To those that say I'm too heavy, I do respect your opinions, but I'll see what the owner's final decision is. Good point about the bone measurement, I might send her a text and ask her. It'll be also dependant on how strong she really is to ride too as she looks like she's ridden in quite a strong bit. If she's ok to ride, I'll just stick to walk with occasional trot anyway so she won't be doing a lot with me.
Weightwise I used to be a lot more than 14 stone so its coming off. A 15hh cob didn't flinch with me at 16 stone.

mandwhy

Visit site
I am 14 st (and a bit more at the mo) and I have a 15hh haffy. She is not the really hench kind and if she was a hand smaller I would certainly not have bought her. If I put on a stone I would be constantly worried and probably end up selling her if I could not lose the weight.

If it is the type built like a brick outhouse it might be ok, it depends what you are doing and for how long.

Obviously it is up to the owner, you will just have to see, but that is my analysis as a haffy owner!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Did you not notice she is a mare called Suzie?!

I would say if you are aiming to lose weight ASAP that's ok but not if you intending staying at that weight.

Crazycob06

Visit site
Sorry but i have to say yes you are too heavy! I'm having enough trouble deciding if my OH could ride my 15hh welsh cob at 13 stone. He have never sat on a horse before tho so would be worse (unbalanced and all)

ridefast

Visit site
If she's fit, and you're in the process of losing weight anyway, I wouldn't think it were a problem. Looks like she's ridden in a pelham so not too harsh a bit, and that may only be for jumping. Good luck :)

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Sorry I think you are too heavy....if she was 15hh it would be a bit different....I wouldn't put 14 stone on my 14'3 welsh/tb and she is quite chunky.

BillyBob-Sleigh

Visit site
Weightwise I used to be a lot more than 14 stone so its coming off. A 15hh cob didn't flinch with me at 16 stone.

See, I don't get this comment. It's not just you OP, I've noticed a lot of people in the horsey world say things like this. What do you expect the horse to do? Have it's knees buckle underneath you? Or it groan with stress under your weight? By the time the horse has given you a sign that you're too heavy there is already damage to some degree - they are very hardy animals and will put up with a lot, so it's not really fair to expect something to carry you until it is screaming at you that you're too much for it.

frb

Visit site
See, I don't get this comment. It's not just you OP, I've noticed a lot of people in the horsey world say things like this. What do you expect the horse to do? Have it's knees buckle underneath you? Or it groan with stress under your weight? By the time the horse has given you a sign that you're too heavy there is already damage to some degree - they are very hardy animals and will put up with a lot, so it's not really fair to expect something to carry you until it is screaming at you that you're too much for it.

I agree.

WelshD

Visit site
I'd also say you were a bit heavy for the pony sorry

If it comes down to questioning it and measuring bone then there is enough doubt to make it a no IMHO

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Ultimately it's the owner's decision. Email, be honest about weight, and ask. They'll know her weight carrying abilities better than anyone else.

Personally, I wouldn't put 14st on a 14hh haffy. I used to loan a 14hh Welsh (mid build) at 12st, and although his owner insisted he was fine, I was always conscious that I felt a bit too big on him. I have a 14.3hh HW cob at the mo and I'd be reluctant to put more than around 13st on him on a regular basis, but I do tend to worry about weight.