I was one of ‘those’ people today...

P3LH

Visit site
My eldest rough collie is 10 in November. He had a coloboma at birth as a result of being CEA affected, this has worsened over the years and he’s now effectively blind in that eye. We live with it, but it can make life tricky due to him being (as a lot of his breed are) quite highly strung about things__he spooks easily.

On our walk this morning the dogs were offlead charging around a little way ahead, only about the foot or so. The eldest ran off after another dog which was quite a way away, he ignored all my calls and I had to race over. The dog was offlead and they were just having a play, I apologised to the owner profusely but I definitely cared more than they did. Even when I got there, he seemed to not react. I grabbed his collar, from the side his sight is poor, and he turned to snap at me. He then seemed to register who I was, and came willingly. I kept him on lead for the remainder.

OH and my Mum have both been saying for months they think his hearing is going. I did some noisiness, clapping, dropping things etc and from more than a few feet away he barely reacted.

I had concerns around a year ago after he and blue boy fought, and he tried to bite me quite badly when separating them—it was six of one and half a dozen of the other, i got the vet to give him an MOT who said he was fine but ageing—-and diagnosed the sight loss. Since then he’s been fine, a certain corgi Sherman tank came and gave him a new lease on life. Things have been very relaxed and positive in that sense.

Im thinking of just investing in a lunge line and having him on that as a safety measure. More for my benefit than his, he wouldn’t be bothered by on lead only as most the time walks to heel off lead anyway. I don’t know if there’s anything else I could be trying? I’m not even sure if he definitely IS losing some hearing; but it does seem that way.

It all goes a bit too fast sometimes. He’s by no means ancient but it feels like five minutes ago he was charging around like a colt and clearing a five bar gate in barely a leap!

meleeka

Visit site
You can get leads on eBay up to 30m or so. I have a variety of different lengths for my JRT who has no recall, depending on where we are walking.

My dads dog is going deaf and he temporarily lost him last week because of it. I’ve suggested he tries a whistle as his dog seems to only hear really loud noises. The incident last was as traumatic for the dog as it was to him so we need to try something (dog also has a bit of a weight problem so it’s better if he’s not on the lead all the time if it can be avoided).

P3LH

Visit site
Thank you—is there a ‘better’ type I should be looking at? I’ve had a quick eBay and who knew there was such a market.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Glad all okay in the end.

I have a lightweight long line for training and keeping anything under control that might others bob off. It's nice for a small dog than a lunge line I think as it's lighter.

Think mine was from Amazon. Can't remember which one though.

meleeka

Visit site
Thank you—is there a ‘better’ type I should be looking at? I’ve had a quick eBay and who knew there was such a market.
The ones on eBay are lighter than an average lunge line, more like a normal nylon dog lead just longer (Assuming your dog doesn’t pull). I tend to replace them every year or so as they end up with knots in them because they get chucked on the floor In the corner when we get home.

planete

Visit site
It is also best if you attach the line to a harness as a dog running to the end of the line could give himself a nasty jerk on the throat. Some kind of link between the harness and the collar ensures that the dog would not be loose if he wriggled out of the harness unless you buy an escape proof harness with the extra strap behind the ribs.

Clodagh

Visit site
Our dogs are whistle trained anyway but old girl is deaf now (although can still hear the larder door open) and she doesn’t hear shouts at all. She answers to the whistle immediately, although she does reserve the senior right to finish eating rubbish or rolling in dead things before she actually joins us.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My old boy went on a harness/longline near the end, he was deaf. It meant he had freedom but could be told to come back with a gentle tug. I use it with the werewolf, too, so I can stand on the lead/give him freedom to sniff without letting him go entirely.