I wasnt watching - Dressage judge remark !

dressager

Visit site
This has really made me laugh!

The one and only time I've judged I found it near impossible to see what was going on in the H and M corners because 1) I was sitting in a judge's box with closed plastic windows so couldn't physically see the corners very well and 2) as it was raining it also made visiblity through the window rather poor!

The unforunate thing was there was a walk-canter transition at the H corner on the left rein (ie I viewed it from the back) and I did feel I was gussing a bit due to the poor view and angle.

Oh and should I add my writer didn't have a clue about dressage and I had to spell out terms for her which took my attention away from the test, plus the organisers collected the sheet after every competitor so it was a major rush!

Its made me realise how difficult it can actually be for a judge at times, and I've definitely competed at shows where the judge has missed some of the mistakes we made...

onemoretime

Visit site
A couple of months back at the start of Duck Shooting season a volley of shots went off at the river behind the dressage arenas - judge and I looked at each other and we both expected bodies and loose horses everywhere - but no not even the flicker of an ear UNTIL the school turned out some horses on the padock below the dressage arenas and all the horses could see were moving rugs as the horses wandered around grazing. The effect was electrifying - horses cavorting, snorting and leaping all over the place. You really have to wonder what goes on in their brains at times!

Ive been wondering this for the last 50 years!!!

dappyness

Visit site
These seem quite shocking! funny but shocking
I went to my first ever walk and trot test with my youngster last night and was using it as a schooling session to see how she would go. My comment for trotting down the center line went as followed.... "Looks like the horse has been at the cider!" WTF! She may have wobbled a bit but come on!
It was actually wine :D

lar

Visit site
Years ago I was waiting to go into an elementary test and watching the competitor before me do her test. I remember it was quite a complicated test involving lots of changes of rein and at some point this competitor missed one of the changes so did most of the second half of her test all on the wrong rein. The judge never belled her and carried on judging her.

God only knows what the judge was thinking when I went in next and did a correct but completely different test!

CAH7

Visit site
What a great thread! A few years ago a friend of mine did an unaff test, cantered an entire 20m circle on the wrong leg (admittedly beautifully balanced!), was given an 8 and no comment whatsoever!