I went XC schooling and came back with a...

tigers_eye

Visit site
NEW SADDLE!!!!

Went to Cousers Farm today to pop William over a couple of fences just to check he was ok - he felt as if he was screwing up his courage a bit at our last event and he did wallop a few - and had booked him in to have his saddles checked with Martin Wilkinson's saddlery too. I hadn't been there before, it's a UK Chasers course. I took two kids from the yard with me as well, the eldest of whom I've been teaching. I actually worked more with the younger one today as her position isn't that strong and her pony runs out. W was very good, jumping over fences with me holding reins in one hand looking backwards at kid yelling LEGS CONTACT KICK!!!!!!!

Anyway, afterwards I led him up to the saddlery prepared to hear the worst. Now he gets really quite cross about his dressage saddle being put on, but he's better with the jumping saddle. Neither saddle belonged to him originally, the dr was his mum's and the stubben was bought for fabulous (a skinny coat rack if ever there was one!). Turns out the stubben was way too narrow, but the dressage, whilst not fitting him at the moment, should be ok if completely re-flocked as the tree actually fits him (and I love this saddle!). They put a couple of other stubben's on him, one fitted perfectly (it was a 29, rather than a 27!) and I popped him over a fence twice and WOW! He can go showjumping if eventing doesn't work out for him! So, rang my veryveryveryvery nice OH and he paid for it as they wouldn't PX, although they have taken my other to sell and put a decent price on it. Was seriously impressed with the customer service. So yay! Saddler also said she thinks he will get wider quite quickly, apparently he won't be going to Badminton in those saddles (her words, not mine
tongue.gif
)

Sorry for rather indulgent post, but so nice when one finds an easy key to problems like his landing short over fences.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
I remember Martin Wilkinson from showing days, and remember thinking how helpfull/good they were, i bought a lovely WHP saddle off them, which i've only just sold on now.. for a proffit
cool.gif

Do you not find the Stubbens rather heavy tho??

Bossanova

Visit site
Well thats a nice way of killing two birds with one stone!!
William sounds fab, are you going to keep him and see how far he'll go??

tigers_eye

Visit site
It depends on the day! He's not a tremendously pleasant horse to have around, but he's not put a foot wrong so far. I know it's really early days but I wonder if he has that out and out desire to please that the other good horses I've ridden had. I rode a friend's very expensive horse for a half season in Belgium that had plenty of ability but no real will to do the job and he was not fun to ride, you couldn't trust him. So I hope William doesn't turn out like that, and I'll probably find out next year. We'll see!

MDM: Stubben-love runs in my family. I tried to break away when I was a teenager but when the prospect of Badminton loomed I returned to the fold! I use light stirrup irons - I do have some stubben ones too but they weigh lots and they're on a dressage saddle now. Not really had a problem with the weight, but I'm seriously grateful that we no longer have to weigh in before xc as I would most definately have no need for a weight cloth
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
(for any youngsters out there you used to have to carry min 75 kilos at Advanced and 3 days!)