IBC Tanks - Safe?

betty02

New User
Visit site
Hi,

Hopefully going to be purchasing an acre of land in the very near future, at the moment it doesn't have a mainline water feed. So I am looking at getting 2 1000l IBC Water Tanks - Brand New ones from Here so I know there has been nothing dangerous in them previously. One will always be kept on the yard with and MDPE Piping going to automatic watering systems in the stables.

Now are these safe to use? Some people say it goes green inside but not sure sure how when they will never be opened to the elements? Want to make sure it's all A-Ok before I go ahead and get everything ordered ready to plumb in!

Many Thanks
Simon

debsandpets

Visit site
You can get IBC tanks in black too - I have 2 white ones for my lot when our water hole dries out. Apart from being green the horses are more than happy to drink it like that.

betty02

New User
Visit site
I understand it will be algae but if it's a sealed container and fresh water it shouldn't really should it?

Thanks

Cragrat

Visit site
It is algae- there is air in the tank even if the lid is closed, and the clear / translucent ones get lots of light. Doesn't seem to bother the horses. Black ones don't let light in, so no photosynthesis, so no algae. The water gets warmer though!

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Be careful. The water goes stagnant if left too long and horses won't drink it.
This happened to a friends horse which got colic as a result of not drinking.