Iberian x native?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
There won't be many native X PRE as there aren't many British native ponies in Spain and weren't that many PREs in the UK, you tend to cross what's around, sometimes accidentally.

I've seen a lot of Hispano Árabes in Spain, they seem to be a common choice for general riding horse; some Anglo hispanos and a few tres sangres. The Anglo hispanos have a reputation of being sharpest.

Whenever I've been in Spain and been lent something to ride, it's been much finer than a PRE and one of those mixes.

Recently I've seen some crosses with warmbloods to try and create a Spanish sportshorse - CDE.

SO1

Visit site
What are you looking to get with this cross?

What is it about the pure versions that do not appeal that require crossing. You can get 14.2 NF and small Iberians in the 15-15.2 range.

If you are looking for specific characteristics then then it would be easier to advise. I expect people don't do these crosses often as the pure breeds Connies, NF and PRES command a much higher price than part breeds now.

little_critter

Visit site
I rode a couple of lusitano x exmoor ponies around 14hh for a long time. Very loyal hard working ponies. You did have to get them onside though. They would turn their hooves to most things. Very brave intelligent, sure footed ponies.
Absolutely loved them.
I’m sure I’ve heard that PRE and Exmoor share a lot of dna, both being ‘old’ breeds.
Mind you, I’m sure PRE x Exmoor would be challenging, all the sensitivity and flamboyance of a PRE but with the stubborn craftiness of an Exmoor.

Ratface

Visit site
Arab crosses are common in Spain there is a stud book for Hispano arabe. There's a Hispano Breton as well I think that's what this mare is ...
View attachment 132279
Wasn't BBP a Welsh x PRE
QH crosses I think is a US thing Aztecas?
I rode a Hispano Arabe for a friend. Not a happy experience. Spooked at anything, seen or otherwise. We landed in a ditch on one occasion. Tanked off for fun - on the road. Took an age to catch.
Was seen by expert equine veterinarian on several occasions. Nothing to find.
I resigned from the job.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I also have a TB x PRE and she is stunning and sooo athletic! But she takes way more managing then the straight purebreds, very quick and reactive and also huge 🤣

View attachment 132284
See I find alot of part bred Arab's are sharper and more tricky than most pure bred Arab's especially crossed with TB or Welsh.

Cloball

Visit site
Rode quite a few when I worked in Spain and loved them they were mostly ridden by kids like we would have natives I found them more sane than most of the welshies I've ridden 😅
CDEs tend to be just warmbloods bred in Spain most ime have no PRE in them.
😅

Pinkvboots

Visit site

Not a native but I thought he was quite nice I posted him on a different thread then thought of this one.